eBay refusing to pass on balance of buyer's payment

eBay Australia have made a mess of a combined shipping sale with several items. They have only passed on about 2/3 of the money and are unable to fix this in under 10 days! Every day I get some new time-frame (please wait 48hrs  / the manager will contact you wait 24h  / it will take 5-7 days etc). They acknowledge their mistake but refuse to pay me because "we are unable to issue the money as we would first need to replicate as to why the remaining amount was not issued to you". Does anyone have an opinion on the legality of this - holding my money, delaying shipping so they can debug their stuff-up? Also does anyone no how I can report eBay Australia to the parent company for their inappropriate behaviour? Does anyone know if this constitutes behaviour reportable to ACCC or will it take legal action to get anywhere.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I'm guessing we are talking about a few handfuls of dollars unless you sold 100's of items.

So do you really think legal action would be cost effective.

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

$120 - if presented in a jurisdiction that has costs as part of a settlement absolutely - I can (and would) also claim for time spent on this, earnings lost by the distraction etc. etc. Also I guess it helps to have a family member a lawyer happy to chase down rogue corporations pro bono. Comes a point when you just need to say no to some things particularly corporate malfeasance on whatever scale.

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

@analog_cameras wrote:

$120 - if presented in a jurisdiction that has costs as part of a settlement absolutely - I can (and would) also claim for time spent on this, earnings lost by the distraction etc. etc. Also I guess it helps to have a family member a lawyer happy to chase down rogue corporations pro bono. Comes a point when you just need to say no to some things particularly corporate malfeasance on whatever scale.

Sounds like you should sign up for ''Judge Judy''

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

So what are you asking for help here for, why not just ask mr  pro bono.  I am guessing mr pro bono might not be as cheap as you think.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

So what are you asking for help here for, why not just ask mr  pro bono.  I am guessing mr pro bono might not be as cheap as you think.

Mr Pro bono will also know about court costs, frivolous claims, etc, etc

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

I think the best solution is either to try and get eBay in US to tell whoever eBay OZ is (if there really is anything there other than a recorded message) to up its game OR get the regulator to do same. The first - I have no idea how to get to - the second I'm not sure of either - these are my questions. Legal action is obviously a last resort but it is an option.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

The details are fuzzy on this one - more info required.

How much was the total sale, including postage?

How much did you actually get, considering that the fees are just under 14% combined.

Were there any promotion fees, subtitles etc for the listings concerned?

Usually if there is excess postage to be refunded, you can just do that through the transaction itself.

You cannot delay shipping, regardless of your issues with Ebay - otherwise you could well end up penalised for late shipment.

I doubt you can take legal action against Ebay, otherwise lawyers would be falling over themselves to get your business.

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

No  - look eBay have admitted more than once (in separate chats) that they have stuffed up - they collected about 360 and gave me about 250. What happened amounts to them treating each of the several items as a single whereas the buyer purchased multiple of some. They admit this - they acknowledge the mistake - they acknowledge they owe me money. The problem is they are claiming about 10 days to payment so they can debug their system (""we are unable to issue the money as we would first need to replicate as to why the remaining amount was not issued to you").

Of course I can delay shipment if I choose - would you ship if eBay hadn't indicated the money was on its way? If I get penalised that is a separate issue to be pursued.

You can't do business in Australia and not be subject to it's laws! Of course you can sue eBay. Whether it is (1) The best solution and (2) Cost effective are different questions. I just seem to be getting the impression that everybody treats this company as a law unto itself - they are not they are just another company subject to the laws of wherever they are operating. I think you would find them happy to admit this.

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

As you have found out, ebay can withhold your funds.   Ebay is not delaying the shipping, you are required to ship items, within your handling time, as soon as ebay advise the item has been paid for.

You do not get to withhold shipping until payment is received, and doing so may be contributing to ebay withholding your funds.

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply