inspecting an item before buying

chezzy
Community Member

Had someone ask about pick up, understandable because they are local. I assumed they would buy the item via ebay and then we would work out the details. It seems they now want to inspect item and if they like it they will then buy it. I am sure this sort of thing happens, I just don't have much experience with this sort of request.

Do I leave item listed, allow person to inspect item and then expect them to log on to ebay and hit "buy it now"? I don't even know whether they would have a device with them allowing them to do this...seems clumsy?? And what happens if someone else happens to hit buy it now when first person has made arrangements to inspect/pick up?

I certainly don't want to become 'open house' for inspections or be mucked around, or muck anyone around

thanks

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: inspecting an item before buying

daydreams, the problem arises when a member gets to the Trading on eBay page and is presented with an Ask a question option towards the top of the page.  If a member comes here looking to ask about inspecting an item before buying they might just type in "inspecting" into that box and they are then presented with some threads in a Does this information help? drop down menu as shown in the screengrab below

IMG_0445.JPG

Then, the member clicks on one of the links and is presented with the Opening Post and solution (if marked) of the thread.  This remains on screen until the member either clicks another link or ignores the links and proceeds to type in more text into the Ask a Question box.

IF the member clicks on one of the links and reads the information they may notice a More about this topic . . link over on the bottom right hand side of the thread summary .  IF this link is clicked it takes the member directly to the (sometimes old) thread and then the member adds their post at the end of the thread.

IMG_0446.JPG

The result is that the thread is resurrected, regardless of how long it has been dormant or when it was started.  In event weeks a 7.5 year old thread was resurrected, as well as many 3 and 5 year old threads.

This HAS been brought to the attention of an eBay.au community manager and they have taken this onboard.  Change can be a slow beast at times, but at least the locking of old threads is going to be considered.

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

"In event weeks" should read "In recent weeks" 

Spoiler
blardy iPad spell check strikes again.

Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

How can someone inspect an item before bidding on eBay, you cannot give out phone numbers or email addresses as this is a breach,,,,,I am stumped on how this can be done as I have received a breach security warning,,,, I need to sell a antique petrol Bowser but will need to be inspected by potential buyers, this cannot be done as nobody will bid on it, how can I get around this issue
Message 23 of 23
Latest reply