paypal hacked what do i do

I have been recieving spam emails all day, so decided to cahnge my email, thought i could bulk change it on ebay, but still on the old one.just signed into Paypal and some one has bought something for $250 , I only had 40 in there. i have been so fustrated , bank accounts haven;t been hacked.

what do i do , I have heard other people being hacked, but is the last thing on my mind. pam.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: paypal hacked what do i do

@beallieblue-oz wrote:
, home computer, only hubby looking over my shoulder to help and keep me calm, paypal was great, rang my westnet, which has been sold to someone else, ring back in an hour, 1 1/2 later then Rang onto line, 10 mins, hung up, not what they used to be, they had a big outage this morning somewhere, but not here.
did a free advast scan. nothing except I changed some passwords.
No I don't open any spam.
think I will have to pay for a proper virus protector, but not norton.
any hints. i have over 4,000 spam at the moment, but don't know if its my computer or email. with all this going on, is it safe to click onto your bank accounts and change passwords. Hubby won't have a bar of online banking.

No.  If your computer security is still under threat, DO NOT attempt to change passwords on the same computer until it is clean.  

If you cannot access another safe computer or mobile device then IMO ring your bank and ask them to put a temporary hold on internet transactions until you are confident it is sorted.

The inconvience will bring peace of mind and negates the risks you appear to be vulnerable to at this time.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Hi Guys, found out how to bulk change my email on Ebay,

what I think has happened, with the spam, my hubby was reading awhile ago a lot of businesses were complaining because gmail

was fixing something and everyone got all their emails they sent out all back again, even from people they hadn't heard from for years, I also got someones elses bigpond one. There was only mine and his, not like normal spam. They have now stopped at 5 this morning, thank goodness.

still doesn't explain how my paypal was hacked, have a lovely day, Pam.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

There are many ways you can get hacked. You should find out how it happened so it won't happened again. The most common way (or the old way) was to hack into you using a method called social engineering. Not sure if still there but let's say a hacker gets a hold of your email address to log I to paypal. He can go to lost password and try to reset the password and you have a security question like what is your dogs name or something. The hacker will try and engage you in anyway and then sneak a question unknowingly about a pets and dogs and viola your account is gone. Well that was years ago and easily exploitable so things must of changed now and it seems you leaked an information to the hacker.

I doubt its a key logger as that is so ancient now and it's so easily picked up and yeah I read last year someone was able to hack into paypal since the hacker called up paypal to tell them he forgot the password. He had to guess the last digit of his credit card (meaning he could call up 10 times unt he got it rift and cia the paypal account was compromised).

Don't think u are ever safe.. Anything is hacka me. Think of it like a house you can close and lock the door to stop people going but there will always be exploits like windows that makes it easy to enter a house.
Message 13 of 13
Latest reply