selling for many years - no sales 7 days

Hi to you all - I have been selling on ebay for some years and these last couple of months have been my lowest sales in years.

In January I had a couple of sales and have not had a sale in 7 days.

I do sell fabric - so not a must have item - but since the end of last year these have been my lowest ever.

Is ebay only promoting the big businesses? Is there some restriction on my shop, which I do not know about? My feedback does not indicate my customers are unhappy. 

I have actually stopped listing unsold - what is the point - there are no sales. I really do not know what to do. My prices are competetive with everyone else. Is ebay wanting to shut down small shops?  Seven days without a sale ? never happened before.

iwould appreciate advice as to what to do - close shop? where else would  I go to sell fabric?  I would really like to hear from someone else as this is very stressful. Thank you

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: selling for many years - no sales 7 days

Hi Sorry to hear this - I did not know shops were haveing a hard time, or is it just that somebody on ebay does not like you or you are competition for some of the larger shops that pay the big fees. Money talks and fees are what ebay wants - maybe you should take out a feature store or something and then you will sell, of course only if you can afford it.

I do not sell much as even though I am a regular seller in fabric I do not have a store. I found that I would have to increase my prices to cover the price of a store as ebay charges you a fee even if you have 'free postage'  Mostly I feel more comfortable with sellers knowing the costs and then what it costs

@quiltsandcrystals wrote:

Hi to you all - I have been selling on ebay for some years and these last couple of months have been my lowest sales in years.

I do sell fabric - so not a must have item - but since the end of last year these have been my lowest ever.

Is ebay only promoting the big businesses? Is there some restriction on my shop, which I do not know about? My feedback does not indicate my customers are unhappy. 

I have actually stopped listing unsold - what is the point - there are no sales. I really do not know what to do. My prices are competetive with everyone else. Is ebay wanting to shut down small shops?  Seven days without a sale ? never happened before.

iwould appreciate advice as to what to do - close shop? where else would  I go to sell fabric?  I would really like to hear from someone else as this is very stressful. Thank you

to post. Anyway all the best and I hope things improve for you and me too. Cheers

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

*gives you a beer*

Same here, buddy.  Let's drown our sorrows and remember fondly the old days.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks mate . enjoy your beer - i am off to bed toand hope I get one sale this week Cheers 

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

where else would  I go to sell fabric? 

There's another pretty well-known site that caters exclusively to handmade, vintage and supplies. There are already established fabric sellers there, but there were already established sellers of the stuff I sell when I arrived, and I do ok. (It rhymes with Betsy..... and doesn't have a B Smiley LOL )

I wouldn't close up shop on eBay, just diversify (wherever possible) and spread some eggs in some other baskets. 

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Are you reffering to this fabric selling account ???????   There must be a very strange problem with what you are seeing in your items sold list as you seem to have had 6 sales this week, including one today and 27 sales for the last 30 days and 29 for the month of January    ???????  If these items are not showing in your sold lists and you have not mailed them you are probably best to get in contact with ebay customer service immediately as this is a most unusual problem.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

you seem to have had 6 sales this week,

Seem is sometimes the operative word, though.... 

If you are looking at sold listings, it will show recently ended listings that had a sale, but the date of that sale is not the same date the listing ended. (eg on one listing, it shows "sold / ended" on the 11th of Feb, date of last sale on that listing was back in January).

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

HUH? Upgrading to a feature store isn't going to change anything? What makes you think it would? If it did, every other seller on here who is experiencing the same slow sales would have upgraded ages ago. In fact, there are a few here with feature stores and they aren't selling much either. Oh, it's not just stores experiencing slow sales. Lots of non stores are having the same problem. It's not unique to anyone.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Perhaps an anchor store would make money? 🤔

Feature store definitely does not!
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

you seem to have had 6 sales this week,

Seem is sometimes the operative word, though.... 

If you are looking at sold listings, it will show recently ended listings that had a sale, but the date of that sale is not the same date the listing ended. (eg on one listing, it shows "sold / ended" on the 11th of Feb, date of last sale on that listing was back in January).

My bad digi, but having taken a second, more detailed look at the sold items , it appears that most have made sales in January, and some have made multiple sales to different customers in January, which does not show at first glance in sold items.

The second count showed 23 seperate customers in January with 36 items ( metres of fabric ) sold. The OP stated they only had a couple of sales in January, so there seems to be a discrepancy somewhere.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply