this is why Aust post needs to increase

ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY.

HE NEVER MENTIONED ANY THING ABOUT THIS EYE OPENER...

Australia Post
Australia Post is a totally government owned entity and has been for about 200 years.

Recently, Australia Post announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program.

This is due to the decline in letters beings sent - largely due to email.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970.

In 2009, during the rein of Labor and PM Kevin Rudd, he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post.

His salary package last year was A$4.8 million!!!!!

The top public servants in Canberra have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million?

The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office. The US President earns US$550,000 (A$757,000). The highest paid Mayor in Australia - Gold Coast City - brings in $225,000!!!

So, how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let's look further. The head of the US Postal Service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much, especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth A$4.8 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.
It gets worse - - -

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million last year.

No matter what perspective is taken, with a loss of 900 jobs, how can A$20 million be justified for 10 'execs'!!!!

But, the salary rort is only half the story!!!

Of his A$4.8 million, Fahour donated A$2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia (located in Melbourne).

This is a tax deductible donation, so WE TAXPAYERS are supporting the payment.

The founder and director of the Islamic Museum is Moustafa Fahour - yes, Ahmed's brother!!!!!

Moustafa's wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and Director.
And Fahour's sister, Samira El Khafir, manages the restaurant on site.

And, OUR letters will cost A$1 so this family can live the 'good' life!!!!!!

There is an unpleasant and some would say 'sinister' unbalanced agenda in Australia, which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people.
We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of 'Post Office rort' reveals some major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture.

Who is running the Country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win?

We the Mugs certainly don’t look to be winners, - at this moment..... But we MUST make a stand against this rort. Australia Post was a service that we had lost. It is big now big business where the profit goes into private pockets.
The next election is around the corner.
Please pass this on. Please send it to your Federal Member of Parliament.

Message 1 of 87
Latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: this is why Aust post needs to increase

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

For eBay sellers, they should be factoring the increase into their Buy-It-Now prices or increasing their postage  for those listings with postage.  The buyer pays the postage, not the seller.  Sellers should also factor in the increase in fvf on postage.

I guess I agree, we should factor them in, things always "INFLATE" or increase in price, otherwise I'll still be buying bread for 5 cents today.

Good thing theres a business policy where I can easily change postage price all in 1 go.

Message 61 of 87
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

hey bargainbox*2012 you forgot to mention the feeding frenzy going on at Startrack Express (ausposts 100% carrier acquisition that is ripping auspost a new one  .. they are apparently very hungry) .. perhaps if the government had looked at the unholy bloody moneytrail of wall to wall executives festooning startrack headquarters and did some kind of cost analysis of the internal/external client tax dodge trail things could have been different too .. anyway it is all theoretical science now .. its the new normal, I think I will register a cabbage patch doll museum and go for it too, I have a freind who has cabbage patch dolls for a million dollars each .. this should be good easy mullah (legal mind you) negative geared enterprise (very good for the ecomomy) .. if you can't beat 'em join 'em huh?

Message 62 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

hey bargainbox*2012 you forgot to mention the feeding frenzy going on at Startrack Express (ausposts 100% carrier acquisition that is ripping auspost a new one  .. they are apparently very hungry) .. perhaps if the government had looked at the unholy bloody moneytrail of wall to wall executives festooning startrack headquarters and did some kind of cost analysis of the internal/external client tax dodge trail things could have been different too .. anyway it is all theoretical science now .. its the new normal, I think I will register a cabbage patch doll museum and go for it too, I have a freind who has cabbage patch dolls for a million dollars each .. this should be good easy mullah (legal mind you) negative geared enterprise (very good for the ecomomy) .. if you can't beat 'em join 'em huh?

Nice rhetoric but a bit short on facts......what is your beef with StarTrack?

Where did you get your facts (if one could call them that) about wall to wall executives and what do you know about client tax dodges?

Message 63 of 87
Latest reply

One of the regular posters here is very well acquainted with the ins and outs of the courier business, no doubt they will be able to confirm your allegations of a "feeding frenzy" at the Startrack HQ.

But somehow I'll hazard a guess that if the reply isn't to your liking then that member will be part of the conspiracy as well.

Apart from cement Bunnings also sells large rolls of aluminium foil.

"edit" G'day lyndal..............................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 64 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

The government and AP are aware of the changing nature of postal delivery, particularly with the amount of mail coming in from China.

yeah see that's where I start developing those wild conspiracy theories again .. dangnabit (in a sammity sam type a way with side slap (caution!! this is for comical relief only as have no jpegs ready to amuse people with  .. dangnabit!)) ..

I agree that people who share concerns about the inequity should lobby their local member, especially if their member is a part of the government.

I am gonna backflip and scratch what I said about wishing a government delegation should renegotiate the UN postal agreement for us (Australians) .. they would: 'almost most certainly' make things worse .. my point being; the trust is gone now .. unless .. wait for it .. unless it was someone like Penny Wong doing the negotiating it would be a pigs breakfast I am sure, you know; the old all corporate snouts in the trough type a deal ..

My apologies, but really your diatribe makes me wonder where you are...................

Australia mate .. but seriously, I can see you are trying to be curteous/tactful (with your mocking Jpeg and all) so will respond ..

perhaps try this out .. ponder on the remote possibilty that the information given may be relevant to the discussion at hand (insights of a conspiracy theorist; according to you) not on the thought process that reached the conclusion ..

hopefully that helps ..

but if it doesn't I will spell out my inner grievance for you and that is that I am sickened to the depths of my soul of the smarm we (us downtrodden plebs) put up with in the name of mega profits for irresponsible fatcats with no true alliegance to this country or its people .. I don't know if I am the only one who feels that way (patriotic or perhaps a mammilion tribal thing, not sure, maybe just don't like their smarminess about it all) but I (here is the kicker) just think things could be a lot better and that dog eat dog societies arn't a real good look .. and well if you look at the above reply there I even have possible issues with the United Nations Postal Agreement so am admittedly real far gone but this airing all my burbbly insanity in public thing here on the forums is really helping me cope (though it for some reason attracts perceived abuse, maybe am imagining things though) so no need to worry about me at this moment ..

Am kinda thinking I may have perhaps made a point (not a fact) so am thinking 'perhaps probably' that the button pushers about the place will soon get my invalid post here removed without a trace .. enjoy it while you can (see you got all my attention padi*0409, arn't I nice?) .. anyway I hope it all isn't too much for you wondering and all about my mental state .. but pleae find some more funny jpegs .. they are cool ..

just to clarify for anyone who read x3n0m's post, although his post started in reply to me, the red part of the quote above WAS NOT aimed at me. x3n0m was including replies to two posters in one go, I'll call that combined posting!     LOL

Message 65 of 87
Latest reply

To save myself a whole heap of typing and facts and explanations on my first flypass on this I am going to ask you a question Lyndal  .. due to cubing rules a 7 KG guitarcase or 10kg Roadcase is too big for auspost (the red arm of auspost) to handle .. whats is going on with that? it would seem to me that starttrack express is in fact completely superfluos to ausposts operations .. so why would auspost want to acquire this carrier in the first place as startrack do carry pallets etc etc ad infinitum? .. and one more question (a little off topic) why isn't the postage calculator or freight calculators working or even comprehensible on ausposts website? and completely missing from startracks website? .. to my way of thinking this kind of chutzbah could only be sustained by a monopoly practices business with no concern about ecommerce whatsover .. have they run out of money again or can't a multi billion dollar operation do postage calculators? ..

Message 66 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

To save myself a whole heap of typing and facts and explanations on my first flypass on this I am going to ask you a question Lyndal  .. due to cubing rules a 7 KG guitarcase or 10kg Roadcase is too big for auspost (the red arm of auspost) to handle .. whats is going on with that? it would seem to me that starttrack express is in fact completely superfluos to ausposts operations .. so why would auspost want to acquire this carrier in the first place as startrack do carry pallets etc etc ad infinitum? .. and one more question (a little off topic) why isn't the postage calculator or freight calculators working or even comprehensible on ausposts website? and completely missing from startracks website? .. to my way of thinking this kind of chutzbah could only be sustained by a monopoly practices business with no concern about ecommerce whatsover .. have they run out of money again or can't a multi billion dollar operation do postage calculators? ..

That is one convoluted post but I will give it a whirl.....

First, what has AP's cubing rules got to do with anything being discussed here?  If an item is too big then it is too big.....I can't do anything about that.

Why do you say that StarTrack is superfluous to AP's operations?  Of course they carry pallets, usually on behalf of clients who want to transport large volumes of smaller items and pallets are the easiest way to pack them.

StarTrack handles deliveries for the ATO, Downing Centre Law Courts and the Passport Office to name but a few of their corporate clients.  A large number of those items are very small....a passport for example.  But they don't just deliver one passport....it could be dozens or even hundreds of these small items in one delivery.  The ATO for example can get several large flash bags delivered every day.

I have no idea why the postage/freight calculators are not working on the AP website.  That is something to ask AP not a member of the public on an internet forum.  I personally have never used a postage calculator so have no idea how of if it works.

But I can tell you why there is no calculator on the StarTrack website.....because they do not deal with the general public who want the cheapest price to send a 7kg guitar case or a 10kg Roadcase or a birthday gift to Aunty Alice.

If you want a price to send one off items you need to go to a courier broker like Temando and send it with StarTrack through them.

StarTrack deal with large businesses who have an account manager.  Their price structure is based on the volume of turnover and varies from one client to another.  It is not just a alternate to Australia Post's ordinary postal service.

Now that I have answered your off topic post, maybe you would like to answer my original post as to why you have an issue with StarTrack.

Message 67 of 87
Latest reply

"why you have an issue with StarTrack?"

They are part of the smarmy brigade ..

"Where did you get your facts (if one could call them that) about wall to wall executives .."

You may actually have me on this point .. I was just thinking that wall to wall executives is how things are done in the red arm of the operation so was thinking the blue arm worked the same way .. and well seeing as it cost close to a hundred million Australian dollars just to do the rebranding of the litle logo thingy for the 'blue arm' of auspost!!!! but yes I admit my assumptions about wall to wall 'blue arm' executives housed in lavish glass towers is just conjecture I guess .. conspiracy theory ..

"..and what do you know about client tax dodges?"

You obviously missed the bit about my Cabbage Patch Doll Museum ..

Message 68 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

"why you have an issue with StarTrack?"

They are part of the smarmy brigade ..

"Where did you get your facts (if one could call them that) about wall to wall executives .."

You may actually have me on this point .. I was just thinking that wall to wall executives is how things are done in the red arm of the operation so was thinking the blue arm worked the same way .. and well seeing as it cost close to a hundred million Australian dollars just to do the rebranding of the litle logo thingy for the 'blue arm' of auspost!!!! but yes I admit my assumptions about wall to wall 'blue arm' executives housed in lavish glass towers is just conjecture I guess .. conspiracy theory ..

"..and what do you know about client tax dodges?"

You obviously missed the bit about my Cabbage Patch Doll Museum ..

So you judge a courier company the way you judge their parent company without any real knowledge of their way of doing business?

Very professional.   That is like saying that there are some bad sellers on ebay so all sellers are guilty of being shonky.

As to the wall to wall executives......I have no idea about the 'executives in their ivory towers" as I have no day to day contact with them, but I can assure you there are no fat cats at the coal face and the staffing has not changed much in nearly 20 years.

I was a subcontractor to AaE when they were part owned by Australia Post as was my OH...and now my OH is with StarTrack.

The Greenacre base has a Facility Manager who keeps the base ticking over...changing lightbulbs, calling the plumber, repairing the freight belts etc.

There is a Fleet Manager who oversees all the drivers and staff and 4 supervisors who are on the floor supervising the 240-250 drivers each day.

There is a Freight Manager who supervises the 16 sorters who sort the freight as it come in and send it to the right driver for distirbution.

There are a couple of girls in the office and a dozen or so security guards.

And they all work hard and very long hours.

I am not sure where you get the $100 million for the rebranding....in all the time we have worked for AaE and then StarTrack we have never had a branded vehicle....just a plain white Toyota Hiace.  At the moment there are only about 50% (maybe less) badged vehicles working out of the Greenacre depot.

Yes, I saw what you wrote about your Cabbage Patch Doll museum.  You do realise it is not as simple as saying you are running a charity, don't you?

You have to qualify as a charity, get a licence to run it and accept tax free donations.

I really don't know what your problem is with the AP CEO and his charity donations.....any taxpayer can make charity donations tax free.  Just because he has an obscenely high income it does not make him dodgy with his donations.

And it also has nothing to do with the running of StarTrack.

Message 69 of 87
Latest reply

@classifieds10 wrote:

Posted twice, i trust you only needed to read it once

Twicw would have been good. You might have used English in the second one.

Message 70 of 87
Latest reply