this is why Aust post needs to increase

ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY.

HE NEVER MENTIONED ANY THING ABOUT THIS EYE OPENER...

Australia Post
Australia Post is a totally government owned entity and has been for about 200 years.

Recently, Australia Post announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program.

This is due to the decline in letters beings sent - largely due to email.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970.

In 2009, during the rein of Labor and PM Kevin Rudd, he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post.

His salary package last year was A$4.8 million!!!!!

The top public servants in Canberra have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million?

The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office. The US President earns US$550,000 (A$757,000). The highest paid Mayor in Australia - Gold Coast City - brings in $225,000!!!

So, how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let's look further. The head of the US Postal Service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much, especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth A$4.8 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.
It gets worse - - -

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million last year.

No matter what perspective is taken, with a loss of 900 jobs, how can A$20 million be justified for 10 'execs'!!!!

But, the salary rort is only half the story!!!

Of his A$4.8 million, Fahour donated A$2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia (located in Melbourne).

This is a tax deductible donation, so WE TAXPAYERS are supporting the payment.

The founder and director of the Islamic Museum is Moustafa Fahour - yes, Ahmed's brother!!!!!

Moustafa's wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and Director.
And Fahour's sister, Samira El Khafir, manages the restaurant on site.

And, OUR letters will cost A$1 so this family can live the 'good' life!!!!!!

There is an unpleasant and some would say 'sinister' unbalanced agenda in Australia, which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people.
We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of 'Post Office rort' reveals some major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture.

Who is running the Country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win?

We the Mugs certainly don’t look to be winners, - at this moment..... But we MUST make a stand against this rort. Australia Post was a service that we had lost. It is big now big business where the profit goes into private pockets.
The next election is around the corner.
Please pass this on. Please send it to your Federal Member of Parliament.

Message 1 of 87
Latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

I can't even think of a solution for the CEO to innovate a way so that he can make profits while the letters are decreasing. Aren't they making profits in other sectors?
Message 51 of 87
Latest reply

@ourphonecase wrote:
I can't even think of a solution for the CEO to innovate a way so that he can make profits while the letters are decreasing. Aren't they making profits in other sectors?

THe Solution for Aust Post to make a profit and to reduce postage is to pay a ceo a realistic salary and not  millilns of $$$

That is whole point of quoting this article. 

This was an old publication but has anything changed. NO it only got worse

Message 52 of 87
Latest reply

Has anything changed since that article was written whenever by who ever wrote it?

it does not matter that it is an older article or who wrote it and what the guy does with HIS money,  the point is he should not get that sort of Dough

the AP Ceo is still being paid milions of $$ and that is he point i am trying to get across i did not intend to debate the actual article, 

This ceo is not the only one in Aus post to receive outrageous salaries

That is the reason of the never ending postal increases.

Message 53 of 87
Latest reply

@bargainbox*2012 wrote:

Has anything changed since that article was written whenever by who ever wrote it?

it does not matter that it is an older article or who wrote it and what the guy does with HIS money,  the point is he should not get that sort of Dough

the AP Ceo is still being paid milions of $$ and that is he point i am trying to get across i did not intend to debate the actual article, 

Nope, it's called pay for what you get, if you can't pay for a letter at 30 cents more don't send letters............easy

What is so hard about this, I've had a gutful of some posters coming here to rant about a perceived disadvatage to them.

Get a grip or go to Bunnings and get a bag of cement to harden up with.

There really are far more problems on this earth than the issues brought up here by certain members.

That's aside from dragging very old information up to make a point  that's near irrelevant anyway..........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 54 of 87
Latest reply

@bargainbox*2012 wrote:

Oh and by the way please do not start me up. 

Just put your tin hat on and enjoy your life....................

BUT.............................

what-if-wearing-a-tinfoil-hat-is-what-they-want-you-to-do.jpg

Message 55 of 87
Latest reply

@bargainbox*2012 wrote:

@ourphonecase wrote:

THe Solution for Aust Post to make a profit and to reduce postage is to pay a ceo a realistic salary and not  millilns of $$$

That is whole point of quoting this article. 

This was an old publication but has anything changed. NO it only got worse

no it's not.  If AP have lost $200 million each year on it's letters delivery service per year since 2008 the CEO salary will have little impact on those losses.  AP would need to find $200 million to offset those losses, OR, raise the price of the service.

I don't send many letters so I haven't even paid the increased rate yet on a letter.  For eBay sellers, they should be factoring the increase into their Buy-It-Now prices or increasing their postage  for those listings with postage.  The buyer pays the postage, not the seller.  Sellers should also factor in the increase in fvf on postage.

Message 56 of 87
Latest reply

"If AP have lost $200 million each year on it's letters delivery service per year since 2008 the CEO salary will have little impact on those losses.  AP would need to find $200 million to offset those losses, OR, raise the price of the service."

The problem of auspost losses on letter rate more than likely is a direct result of the UN Postal agreement and the flood of large letter items coming in from China .. "discouraging" Australian people from letters (As Turnbull spun it) is not going to actually fix the problem ..

I must admit I am not really personally affected aside from I wanted to sell my old Camera Magazine Collection on ebay this year .. fortunately I offloaded most of my old video games collection via ebay last year as knew this thing was in the pipe, just didn't expect the rate to go above what Fahour apparently petitioned for in the first instance ie. the priority rate was meant to be $1 per stamp and the standard rate was meant to be unchanged but deliberately delayed .. I thought the government would meet him half way .. I was mistaken the government (by their own admition) decided to send a price signal to deter letter usage instead ..

Obviously the combination of the "price signal" from auspost and a few other market forces will deter me from posting letters henceforward but will probably still buy cheap postal items from China so I just see it that auspost is digging themselves a deeper hole to get out of .. if the government was serious they would be renegotiating the UN postal agreement but obviously that is too hard for them or perhaps some other more sinister force is at work there .. one thing I do detect is that our government appears quite determined to routinely make Australian businesses unviable in the international arena, perhaps so that the interests represented by their multi-national lobbyist mates can flourish unchallenged ..

Anyway whatever is going on stinks to the high heavens and unfortuanately I cannot believe a word these corporate mouth-pieces and politicians utter .. they appear to be in the business of lies, spin and manipulation .. just brutal and cannot see any of this ending well for our country as our essential utilities become milking machines for Governemt and big Business .. privatisation and corporatisation would appear to be an outright failure and burden on the wider Australian economy ..

Message 57 of 87
Latest reply

My apologies, but really your diatribe makes me wonder where you are...................

what-if-wearing-a-tinfoil-hat-is-what-they-want-you-to-do.jpg

Message 58 of 87
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

"If AP have lost $200 million each year on it's letters delivery service per year since 2008 the CEO salary will have little impact on those losses.  AP would need to find $200 million to offset those losses, OR, raise the price of the service."

The problem of auspost losses on letter rate more than likely is a direct result of the UN Postal agreement and the flood of large letter items coming in from China .. "discouraging" Australian people from letters (As Turnbull spun it) is not going to actually fix the problem ..

. . . . .  if the government was serious they would be renegotiating the UN postal agreement but obviously that is too hard for them or perhaps some other more sinister force is at work there .. one thing I do detect is that our government appears quite determined to routinely make Australian businesses unviable in the international arena, perhaps so that the interests represented by their multi-national lobbyist mates can flourish unchallenged ..

there is meant to be a meeting each year of member nations of the UPU so that anomalies in member costs can be addressed.  Unfortunately, the original treaty was signed/agreed in 1874 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union) and I am not sure of any amendments to the agreement to bring it up to date with the surge in online purchasing.

The government and AP are aware of the changing nature of postal delivery, particularly with the amount of mail coming in from China.  I agree that people who share concerns about the inequity should lobby their local member, especially if their member is a part of the government.

Message 59 of 87
Latest reply

The government and AP are aware of the changing nature of postal delivery, particularly with the amount of mail coming in from China.

yeah see that's where I start developing those wild conspiracy theories again .. dangnabit (in a sammity sam type a way with side slap (caution!! this is for comical relief only as have no jpegs ready to amuse people with  .. dangnabit!)) ..

I agree that people who share concerns about the inequity should lobby their local member, especially if their member is a part of the government.

I am gonna backflip and scratch what I said about wishing a government delegation should renegotiate the UN postal agreement for us (Australians) .. they would: 'almost most certainly' make things worse .. my point being; the trust is gone now .. unless .. wait for it .. unless it was someone like Penny Wong doing the negotiating it would be a pigs breakfast I am sure, you know; the old all corporate snouts in the trough type a deal ..

My apologies, but really your diatribe makes me wonder where you are...................

Australia mate .. but seriously, I can see you are trying to be curteous/tactful (with your mocking Jpeg and all) so will respond ..

perhaps try this out .. ponder on the remote possibilty that the information given may be relevant to the discussion at hand (insights of a conspiracy theorist; according to you) not on the thought process that reached the conclusion ..

hopefully that helps ..

but if it doesn't I will spell out my inner grievance for you and that is that I am sickened to the depths of my soul of the smarm we (us downtrodden plebs) put up with in the name of mega profits for irresponsible fatcats with no true alliegance to this country or its people .. I don't know if I am the only one who feels that way (patriotic or perhaps a mammilion tribal thing, not sure, maybe just don't like their smarminess about it all) but I (here is the kicker) just think things could be a lot better and that dog eat dog societies arn't a real good look .. and well if you look at the above reply there I even have possible issues with the United Nations Postal Agreement so am admittedly real far gone but this airing all my burbbly insanity in public thing here on the forums is really helping me cope (though it for some reason attracts perceived abuse, maybe am imagining things though) so no need to worry about me at this moment ..

Am kinda thinking I may have perhaps made a point (not a fact) so am thinking 'perhaps probably' that the button pushers about the place will soon get my invalid post here removed without a trace .. enjoy it while you can (see you got all my attention padi*0409, arn't I nice?) .. anyway I hope it all isn't too much for you wondering and all about my mental state .. but pleae find some more funny jpegs .. they are cool ..

Message 60 of 87
Latest reply