why does ebay charge so much, they aren't the ones buying and selling

Ebay charges too much to sell stuff these days they are cheating all of us and the sooner we all realise this and ebay alter their cheating practices and come back to a reasonalbe amount for selling figures (auction houses charge 10% and supply people for each sale) ebay don't supply staff the same way or at the same level of auction houses, there realestate requirements are less and they cheat hard working people out their profits by charging too damn much.

And I'll bet they don't leave this post up because they dont like to be criticised or show to be as greedy as they are. CHEATS AND THIEVES.

Regards,

Russell Moore

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

99.999% of sellers know full well

Many sellers have complained to ebay

Ebay don't care

Ebay only care about their profits and then about buyers

As far as ebay are concerned, sellers can go jump

And ebay staff don't read here so they will have no knowledge of this post

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Bet you won't get a fraction of the market exposure in an auction house as you will on ebay.
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Please tell me what auction house charges as little as 10%

None that I know of.    It's usually 20 - 25%

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

What good is the exposure if it costs so much to sell an item, most of my stuff sells for 1000's and they put me over the top with price, its rediculous.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

there is a 5% - 10% seller premium and a 3% - 10% byser premium, plus they store your items and use people to sell them for you, there is a service aspect to Ebay do not have. The most i have seen through an auction house is about a 15% total from buyer and seller prremiums and the least is 8% however their costs are higher and they keep the premiums down, Ebay are theives

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@arm-maintenance wrote:

What good is the exposure if it costs so much to sell an item, most of my stuff sells for 1000's and they put me over the top with price, its rediculous.

What good is an auction house if you only have a very limited market?  If they're so wonderful, why are you wanting to sell on ebay?

I'm not defending or criticising ebay, just saying it costs what it costs and that not everything is suitable for selling online, which isn't ebay's fault.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

I don't buy from auction houses precisely because of that "buyer's premium" nonsense - charging me 10% extra on top of the hammer price? They can blow that right out their bugle...

Imagine if eBay tried that. No-one would wear it...

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Simple!!  List you items on a Sunday Promo.
Stop complaining about the fees and make ebay work for you.  Just think of what you are getting for 10.9%.
By the way I also sell through a B&M Outlet and pay 22% for the privilege.
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@arm-maintenance wrote:

there is a 5% - 10% seller premium and a 3% - 10% byser premium, plus they store your items and use people to sell them for you, there is a service aspect to Ebay do not have. The most i have seen through an auction house is about a 15% total from buyer and seller prremiums and the least is 8% however their costs are higher and they keep the premiums down, Ebay are theives

I would have attended many hundreds of auctions over the years and are very familiar with them. I dont know of any chattel auctions that only charge 5% seller premium and many charge more than 10% buyers premium.

The problem with physical auctions is that they have a very limited depth of buyers, so that anything even slightly unusual often gets minimal or negligable bidding. The result is the vendor may not be paying high fees ( according to your argument, which I dont believe is accurate ) but they are selling their items for much less than they are worth.

I and many others have built a succesfull business on buying items at physical auctions for heavily discounted prices and reselling them on ebay at premium prices. Around a year ago I attended an auction where I purchased a vintage chainsaw for $5. That was a farm clearing sale that genuinly would have only cost the seller 10% in fees and no buyers premium. So your argument sort of holds for this one. There was around 150 registered buyers at the sale so a reasonable crowd. The assistant held the item up & the auctioneer sold it for total selling fees of 50 cents. OK. the vendor got a bargain in selling fees on the $5 sale price.. I resold the chainsaw immediately on ebay for $490.00

Another example from my last farm clearing sale, again with genuine 10% selling fees. A crowd of over 200 registered buyers at this one. I purchased a box of rusty tools for $12.00. Basically no-one wanted them or knew what they where. The seller paid $1.20 in commissions. Again a bargain in fees, considering the service the auction house provided. The first item of interest in the box was a pair of WW1 folding trench, barb wire cutters. They sold on ebay for $50. Next was a rare tractor spanner with the makers name cast into the handle. That one made $60 . But the real gem was an 1870, hand forged spanner for a very rare piece of English farm machinery, again with makers name stamped to the handle. That sold for $125 to an ebay buyer in England. ( you dont get that at your local chattels auction. ) Over the years I have purchased pallets of NOS machinery parts still in the original boxes for a few dollars at auction, researched the parts numbers ( I have a library of parts books )  and resold them individually for a total of many thousands of dollars on ebay. And yes you have a breakdown right there of exactly how my ebay business works.

So PLEEEEASE go ahead and sell your stuff through your local discount auction house. Who knows I might be able to buy some of your stuff real cheap and sell it for a ridiculous profit on ebay.........Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply