yup no bites again...

a continuing subject on these forums, but I have only noticed this happen once before and that was around oct last year.  I am getting very minimal sales....or even bites

I have 2 user ids and have started listing on both again recently. ( I usually favour one or the other as it easier for me not having to log in and out.)

I know post just went up but I mostly use satchels to keep more affordable for all states.  as another poster said has ebay lost its appeal to buyers?  I know its lost appeal to sellers but its early may, not school hols anymore and seems to be an absolute lull... maybe I've just lost the knack..

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: yup no bites again...

yes, our sales have dropped by over 75% this week. This usuallly happens when eBay roll out major system changes, In the past it mostly recovers after a couple of weeks because that's how long it takes for the eBay system to update any changes. In the mean time .....beans on toast for tea. We just get soooo sick of the constant meddling and changes as it makes it impossible to run a business let alone make a profit..

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

See how people can sneek up on you when you're typing. ๐Ÿ™‚

:^O

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

I only sell second-hand clothing, but it's amazing how suddenly my sales have dropped in the past few weeks. I used to sell around 70-80% of my items, now I'm lucky to sell even 20%. And even the more expensive brands that used to sell well hardly get any bids... even if I put them at a ridiculously slow price. It's very bizarre.

I don't know if it's because of Australia Post's price rise (I can understand why people might be hesitant to buy a second-hand item that has $7+ postage), or if it's because overseas sellers have become far more visible recently (I wonder how many buyers know how to use the search filters), but whatever the reasons are...it's very frustrating. I guess Ebay isn't for hobby sellers anymore. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

So have you checked to see if your oppositions sales have dropped too?

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

er who is my opposition? 

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

er who is my opposition?

To check out the opposition do a search for the category you are selling in then click on completed listings. You will then see how many things have sold, what sort of prices they have sold for and how the successful sellers list.

any mention of bank deposit gives the impression (often unwarranted) that the seller will not do the right thing re refunds as there is no buyer protection which is why sensible sellers give buyers the option but do not hint in any way they prefer payment that way.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

I hear you pj, however I do say the reason I prefer bank deposit is due to paypals fees, a double whammy after ebay fees, making it less worthwhile for smalltime sellers. 

I don't accept returns unless I'm at fault., but that's nothing to do with paypal.  as in people don't need to open a dispute............its all in the buyers perception.

re opposition, I do often search for what I sell, as I onsell what I don't keep for my own collection, if its a magazine title I don't collect or need to cull, however thanks for your instruction - appreciated. 

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

I prefer Paypal as I don't expect somebody who doesn't know me from Adam to trust me. Some do, and are not disappointed.

Frankly, if you can't wear 30c plus 2.4% in Paypal fees then you might be cutting your margins a bit fine.

It pays to research your market and to provide EVERY reasonable payment method. Just imagine how many sales you would(n't) have if you were able to refuse a safe payment method.

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

I have to say I have bought more things this month than ever before.

I only pay paypal or cash on delivery and I do check feedback.

I guess the only thing I am wondering about is sellers pricing because i do find some sellers wanting double others so of course i'm going the cheaper seller proving they have pay pal and good feedback

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

I hear you pj, however I do say the reason I prefer bank deposit is due to paypals fees

Do you really expect prospective buyers to believe that you want to encourage them to give up their buyer protection so you can save 30c +2.4%?

I am stunned sometimes by the number of people, often with the priciest items, who are prepared to pay money into my bank account even though I have been selling forever and have impeccable feedback.

If you want to nudge them in the direction of bank deposit then it is better to say that you give a full refund for missing or not as described items no matter how the buyer pays.

Personally I think that the time saved in after sales processing is worth every cent of the Paypal fee plus of course you are selling to people who may not have the cash available but are happy to use a credit card.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply