Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

Let's continue the great thread from the 'old' boards and share information about Library Sales, Book Fairs
Message 1 of 1,392
Latest reply
1,391 REPLIES 1,391

Re: Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

who goes to book fairs / sales on the 2nd day?

It's not like the books get any cheaper

I go to Lifeline on Sunday. Day 3. The books are far cheaper then. Admittedly that's not day 2.

So you are correct, within your narrow terms.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 1201 of 1,392
Latest reply

by the third day, it would be pretty hard to find any hot items

Message 1202 of 1,392
Latest reply

Well, I guess if you go along with that expecation, you probably won't find anything. 

But there can be 'sleepers' even at the end of a book sale. I went along to one a few years ago, got there near closing time and found a book that I bought for $1 and sold a few weeks later for $190. Every book dealer in ADL goes to that sale, and every book dealer had walked past that book. 

Message 1203 of 1,392
Latest reply

by the third day, it would be pretty hard to find any hot items

All the paint by numbers Fantasy has disappeared, which makes it easier to find the 70s SF. The ones the mega dropshippers can't offer as they're OOP. The ones I can make a profit on because there is less competition. Not counting the Nino Culotta/John O'Grady 1sts. The ones everybody has read, so don't even look at.

You would have to be there. I'm sure you would say the same of my aversion to garage sales. They don't work here (reseller-wise) because the average Canberran knows what they're worth. It might be different in Hicksville.

Horses for courses. And you should know better by now than to bait me, rama. All my assertions are factually based.

I generally pick up 200 books at Lifeline. I would be disappointed if I hadn't got my money back in 10 sales.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 1204 of 1,392
Latest reply

I agree with you about garage sales, Pete.

Every single one I've ever been to has been a complete waste of time. Occasionally I'll forget my past experiences and go to a few more, only to be reminded that ... yes ... they are still a waste of my time. I'm glad they work for others, though. 

Message 1205 of 1,392
Latest reply

your areas must have a lot of customers for those Garage Sales.

I remember doing some Garage Sales on the Northern beaches and North Shore burbs of Sydney. I couldn't believe how many people were waiting outside some of those sales for the electric gates to open up and then it was like a pack of ferrets seeking out their rabbit.

It's not quite that bad at the Garage Sales I go to and the books are usually newer and only read once which makes them good for the shop.

I still love book sales however they're few and far between, but they are good for filling up the lonely planets, art, and other non fiction sections of the shop.

Message 1206 of 1,392
Latest reply

One man's trash is another man's treasure. If I chose the books misterforgetful buys at a sale, I'd go broke in a month. Your "hot items" are cold as ice for me. You buy for a completely different market whereas I'd be competing with Judy for the books that work for me (and her).

Message 1207 of 1,392
Latest reply

That's the great thing about book sales - something for everyone!

Not that I've been to a book sale in a VERY long time!

Message 1208 of 1,392
Latest reply

Did alright out of Warrigul's Life Line sale this time around. Couldn't be bothered going back over the Strezlecki range again for the half price sale on Sunday evening though as I bought everything I wanted for the shop.

Last time I went to Life Line's sale, it had all of Canberra's old stock - the dregg's.

Much better this time and some of the prices were better for me to make some $$$ on.

I'd still like to get together with other book sellers with our 2nd copies one day to do some serious swapping.

Message 1209 of 1,392
Latest reply

One for Melb this weekend. Short notice, sorry. 🙂

St Matthews Annual Book Fair.

17 Monash Ave, Olinda.

15th & 16th June. No times, sorry.

Message 1210 of 1,392
Latest reply