Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

Let's continue the great thread from the 'old' boards and share information about Library Sales, Book Fairs
Message 1 of 1,392
Latest reply
1,391 REPLIES 1,391

A book sale for Sydney and Blue Mountains people:

BOOK SALE - 1000s of used books at great prices.

2nd annual sale and even better books this time.

Most fiction books range from $1 to $4

Lots of good non-fiction at sale prices

Heaps of childrens picture books and novels

Sat 29th June - 9am to 5pm

Sun 30th June - 9am to 4pm

Glenbrook Community Hall - Next to Glenbrook Cinema

Cnr Ross St & Great Western Hwy

Glenbrook - Lower Blue Mountains

Message 1211 of 1,392
Latest reply

One for any Gippslanders.

Latrobe City Libraries Book Sale and Antique Valuations.

Saturday Oct 26th. 9am to 2pm.

Kernot Hall, Morwell.

$10 & upwards for bring your own cloth bags, depends on the size of the bags.

Antiques expert Bruce Arrup will be available to do valuations.

Message 1212 of 1,392
Latest reply

In the lower Blue Mountains:

Warrimoo Public School are having their Spring Fair on Sunday, 3 November 2013. 

There will be a range of market stall holders offering their wares (including a large stall of pre-loved books) from 10am - 3pm.

Warrimoo Public School

Florabella Street, Warrimoo

https://www.facebook.com/WarrimooSpringFair

Message 1213 of 1,392
Latest reply

Rotary Book Fair.

18-19 October.

Weston Creek Community Centre

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 1214 of 1,392
Latest reply

I used to love bookfairs but for various reasons haven't got  to one for years. So was very happy to get a 'leave pass' to venture up to the Burnie (Tas) Lions Giant Book Fair a couple of weekends back... only heard of it the day before, so sorry didn't share.

They sold by the centimetre... you didn't even need to take your books out of the bag, just sling it onto the counter against the measuring stick, which I haven't seen before. It was $2/cm (or $1/2cm). They did have a small separately priced section of "collectible" books which I take to mean overpriced stuff, but for once I found some gems there (including a fantastic book on carriage design & construction which I've been searching for, and a haul of Upfields), so that area was a bit of a haven given what was happening elsewhere...

I'm clearly a bit rusty on bookfair etiquette... I arrived 20 minutes before opening and joined the crowd around the doors. The location was right on the coast, so with the still, sunny morning it was lovely looking out over the sea. But, pockets of action once inside were shameful... in the section with local history books, there were about 5 men falling over themselves just sweeping all the books off the shelves into bags, not even pretending to be selective. After a few minutes it was like the locusts had been through. And in a confined space, it was a bit hairy.

There was also a bloke arguing that the measuring stick wasn't accurate and he was being ripped off... at those prices, and with the money going to the cancer centre... just show him the door! Unbelievable.

I dropped into a Vinnies on the way home, to enjoy a more rarified  retail experience... it prices their books by the page... 50cents under 250 pages, $1 over 250 pages. I've seen books sold by weight before, but don't recall seeing the page numbers approach. Made me think of Black Books.. so that has become our current evening's DVD viewing. Highly recommended to booksellers.

Message 1215 of 1,392
Latest reply

Perth book sale!!!

Have just found out that Save the Children are having a yard sale on the sunday 24th of November from 10 until 4 in Shenton Park.

(Corner of Underwood and Brockway Ave)

It cannot possibly be as big as the sale at the uni, but I am going to check it out.

Message 1216 of 1,392
Latest reply

By the cm and weight just doesn't work out, at the end of the day the people having the sale are left with 1000's of worthless hard pack fiction. People usually end up leaving behind the Jackie Collins, Dan Brown, Tom Clancy and Wilbur Smith books. All heavy and thick making them the most expensive books even though we're hard pressed to get 0.50 cents for them.

Haven't had any difficulty finding books this year, book shops closing keep ringing me up wanting me to buy all their books - Yarragon, Fish Creek, Inverloch antiques, Tooradin, Shepparton, Benalla, Leongatha etc...

Message 1217 of 1,392
Latest reply

How are you going? Didn't they finish the desal plant?

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 1218 of 1,392
Latest reply

Bega NSW.

The next Bega Rotary Book Fair
10th - 12th January 2014
&
4th - 6th July 2014
Bega (Griffith) Showgrounds

Book Fair is open:
Friday & Saturday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am to 2:00 pm

Message 1219 of 1,392
Latest reply

One this weekend on the Bellarine Peninsula Vic.

Annual second hand book fair. Jan 4th & 5th.
Drysdale Activity Centre, Collins St Drysdale. 9am to 5pm Saturday & 10am to 4pm Sunday.

Message 1220 of 1,392
Latest reply