Managed payments and taxpayer identification number concern

I'm having a big concern with Ebay wanting me to provide my tax file number to them in order to sign up for managed payments.  This is manly because Australian government clearly states on the ATO website:

"In the wrong hands, your TFN could be used to commit fraud, so keep it safe.

Make sure you protect your identity by keeping all your personal details, including your TFN, secure.

There are only a few people and places that can ask for your TFN:

• the ATO
  • Centrelink
  • your bank
  • your employer after you start a job
  • your super fund
  • your registered tax agent - you can find a registered tax agent, or check whether a person is a registered tax agent, by visiting the Tax Practitioners boardExternal Link website."

Not even Paypal asks for TFN and they deal with money only. What's your view on this?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Managed payments and taxpayer identification number concern

One can only guess/imagine all the cross referencing being carried out, and by whom, in this

verification process.  You could ask ebay to justify the request, but I doubt you will get a satisfactory answer and they are probably not required to provide one.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

My understanding is the entity behind managed payments is registered and governed by Australia's banking authorities and as such is classified as a bank. Other forum posters have advised in other threads that this is the reason formal, photographic id etc. is required.

While not commenting on your personal situation ( I dont know your affairs ) I,m sure a lot of sellers who are not currently meeting their tax obligations on ebay sales are probably quite concerned with the thought that sales income could be easily cross referenced with tax file numbers under managed payments.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

As chamo stated Adyen is a registered banking facility in Australia, but if you feel this strongly about it, and I suspect you must as you have asked many times about the various documentation required for MP,  then you do have the right to refuse.

But if you wish to continue selling on this platform (and a quite a few others now I believe) you will need to provide what they want as thousands of others already have.

The choice really is yours

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Have you even registered for MP that you seem to have all the answers? I just spoke to Ebay they told all I need is DL and Bank details. It's on the record. That's not what it shows on their MP  info link imo though

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

What are you asking me?

I just stated they have a choice, which they do.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

yes i have similar concerns re: providing sensitive & personal details such as DL and Passport numbers due to the problem of ID theft, so i engaged in a chat with an ebay rep- he was from the US. His explanation was that these new changes are made with a view to countering money-laundering!!??  I explained that here in Australia it's not usual for anyone other than government departments or banks to ask for such personal details. His reply was that these changes to the terms & conditions have been made in accordance with rules and legislation of the Aust. Government.  So ebay has cut out paypal payments -(they no longer own paypal these days) -for items we've sold and we're now paid directly to our bank accounts after all fees have been deducted. Overall it seems that ebay has taken more control over how we sell & where and when we receive our payments.

I've emailed the ACCC to verfiy if this change is legit.  Wait & see i guess.

As someone mentioned - these are the rules, so if you want to sell then accept it or don't sell.

Ebay also own gumtree so we'll see how all this pans out.  

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Ebay also own gumtree so we'll see how all this pans out.  

EBay sells Gumtree as part of US$9bn classifieds deal - Inside Retail

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

good to know 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I am sure the ACCC will be very happy to hear from you, but please explain, why don't you just read the relevant legislation, and yes it is to counter money laundering and terrorist funding.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply