Counterfeit item

I purchased what was listed as a "genuine" Dyson product. I have since sent my item to Dyson as I suspected it was a counterfeit. Dyson has confirmed it was and they won't return it, it is to be destroyed. I am trying to get a refund from the seller. 

The seller doesn't believe me that the item was a fake, even though I have provided documentation from Dyson.

eBay won't help me as it's outside the 30 day return window, and I payed by afterpay which are absolutely useless.

Do I have any options other than cut my losses??

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Counterfeit item

@janeababe wrote:

@eol-products wrote:

If you go to Bunnings you will see a cheap power tool for $14.95 and the same tool different brand for $200. Both do the same job and for most people the cheap tool is good enough. The difference is when you use that tool for 8 hours non stop the cheap tool may not make it compared to the dearer tool which will not miss a beat. Both tools are still made in China.

Good god, you can’t be serious? 
The difference is quality AND value for money! 

Your el-Chinese -cheapo-brand will burn out after 8hrs -16hrs work, while your better quality made one will see you through 10yrs or more. 
So, you tell me what is better value for money! 
I’ve got many power tools over 10yrs old….. a bit battered to look at, some covered in paint splatter, but still working like they did day one! 

There are some items worth opening your wallet that little bit extra for! 😉$😎

Mostly yes, but not always. Around 15 years ago, I bought a very el cheapo yum cha brand mouse sander from the Reject Shop for I think $10. I needed it for one job, so if it died, it died, I wasn't that worried. That little sander has since been absolutely flogged to death. I certainly don't operate it for 8 hours straight, or anything like that, but sanding back skirting boards and architraves, it does an awesome job! It will be pressed into service again soon when I start painting in the loungeroom. 

Probably its biggest job was sanding back around 40 painted fence pickets that I used to make my TV stand. I did strip some off with paint stripper, but they certainly needed sanding back as well. I love it because it's very small and literally fits in the palm of your hand. Unlike a lot you see at Bunnings, which can be a bit bulky. Getting sanding pads is easy, because the Ozito brand are a perfect fit!

I'm guessing that day I picked up the right one at the right time. The other 2 on the shelf probably died before they even left the shop!

Message 31 of 33
Latest reply

I seen one of these fake dyson curlers today that had come in from overseas. Very easy to tell if you know there is a chance it is fake. There is a made in china label on the top plus it feels very light for one of their products.  

Message 32 of 33
Latest reply

@bryzen wrote:

My old dyson,the motor burned out and replaced it with a so called cheap inferior motor.

Buy a non brand name and recoup your losses.

Bit confused by this.

Fungungry does not have her 'Dyson' product. Dyson company will not return it, it is going to be destroyed. 

The option to repair it with non brand name parts does not exist for her.

Do you mean that she should buy a similar product, just not a Dyson brand?

I don't know what she bought but let's say it was eg a cordless vacuum cleaner.

There are dozens of other brands around that sell a similar product. But they are not 'non brands', they are just different brands, different prices.

Fungungry's problem is she thought she was buying a good brand name product and now she is out both the money and the goods.

And she bought on ebay.

The whole thing with ebay is a customer cannot personally handle the products before purchase. They won't know if the item is a bit lighter than the legit brand. They often won't know to only buy from authorised sellers etc

She has been misled by the seller (deliberately, in my opinion) till her 30 day window has been and gone.

Hopefully she can make a paypal claim or make a charge back at the bank.

I know ebay can't take the word of just one customer but I think Fungungry should at least contact the chat line to report the seller. It would also be a help (to future buyers) if ebay could put some sort of flag onto sellers where there are reports of them selling counterfeit products so that if other reports come in, they can act on it.

Message 33 of 33
Latest reply