How do I track "multiple Carriers"??

I bought two laptops in one listing from a seller in the States, I got a tracking number that starts with UPAAB... and the carrier is "multiple Carriers",, and there was no other information or links I can click on.

From google searching, it is Ebay's own postage service or something?

My question is how do I even track it? And how reliable is this service? Why didn't the seller just use my traditional shipping company like USPS or UPS or something.

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: How do I track "multiple Carriers"??

For the buyer there is absolutely no advantage in using the GSP unless you are buying large/heavy items as the shipping rates are very reasonable for those items.

For the most part the GSP is slow, expensive and Pitney Bowes make up their own mind what they will and will not ship to Australia without any regard to what is allowed through Customs.  As an example, they will not ship any knives to Australia even though most of them are perfectly legal.

UPS is notoriously expensive.....I would not recommend them if you have a choice.   FedEx and DHL are usually more reasonable but any courier company is going to be more expensive.  If you can get a US seller to use USPS First Class International mail you are much better off.  Other USPS services are much more expensive but they do offer the seller tracking and insurance.  They can get tracking with First Class mail by adding E-DELCON which covers them for paypal I believe.

Message 11 of 48
Latest reply

@horizon

Thinkpad W500 with 1920*1200 resolution are as rare as dinosaurs.. I'll have no problem selling it if I don't like it.
Message 12 of 48
Latest reply

https://www.usps.com/international/first-class-mail-international.htm

First class is only limited to letters and flat things. Two 15 inch laptops can not be shipped using First Class can it?

Message 13 of 48
Latest reply

@kuromusha1 wrote:
@horizon

Thinkpad W500 with 1920*1200 resolution are as rare as dinosaurs.. I'll have no problem selling it if I don't like it.

And good luck to you if the thing is as described, if it ain't then you have the start of a problem.

There are "genuine" GTHO Phase 3 Falcons out there too.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 48
Latest reply

First Class Packages International has a weight limit of 4lbs and US$400 value.  I don't remember offhand what the individual measurements are.   I have no idea what a laptop with packaging would weigh. 

I have only once bought something from the USA which exceeded the weight/value restrictions for USPS First Class..  The seller checked the costs with serveral couriers and the USPS most expensive service at the time (A few years ago now).   In the end the USPS service was still the cheapest but when the parcel arrived it was with DHL.  Apparently the USPS uses couriers  for their large/heavy parcels.

It also helps to explain why the GSP works out cheaper for the larger and heavier items.

Message 15 of 48
Latest reply

So then why did the seller choose GSP instead of normal USPS shipping or something? What's in it for the seller if the shipping cost is more expensive than USPS? 

Message 16 of 48
Latest reply

The seller only has to send the item to the GSP facility in Erlanger KY, usually free postage.

Pitney Bowes gets all the money you have paid for the GSP and for that they do all the import paperwork and supposedly repack the items for international shipping.  That often means removing all the good packaging used by the seller and putting glass items in a box with minimal packaging, if reports on the boards are anything to go by.

What the GSP means to the seller is free postage to get their item to Pitney Bowes, no filling in of Customs documents, complete tracking and insurance for the item in case of a paypal dispute and protection from angry buyers leaving bad feedback because of the GSP service or lack of it.  Ebay will remove bad feedback that refers to the GSP.

As well, many sellers do not have the faintest idea that they have been opted into the GSP and have no idea tha their items ar being offered for international postage...and certainly no idea how much the buyers are being charged.

If you really want to read more about the GSP have a look around the boards.....there are plenty of threads about it.

Message 17 of 48
Latest reply

supposedly repack the items for international shipping.  That often means removing all the good packaging used by the seller and putting glass items in a box with minimal packaging, if reports on the boards are anything to go by.

This may happen occasionally but remember, the 'no problem' cases do not usually get written about. And the same few examples tend to be cited over and over till it seems they are omnipresent. Reports on the boards are something to go by but you do need an enormous pinch of salt. My experience is that a large proportion of references to repacking are hearsay, and the same original incident could be re-reported by different people many, many times over.

What the GSP means to the seller is free postage to get their item to Pitney Bowes,

Not really. The seller still has to pay for the domestic shipping. They may be using the so called 'free shipping' and including the domestic shipping cost in the unit price, but they pay for their chosen domestic shipping method the same as any domestic sale.

What US 'Free Shipping' will ensure is that the buyer will probably get stuck with inflated international shipping charges as the seller will omit vital weight and size details.

Message 18 of 48
Latest reply

It has been 10 f**king days and the tracking number is still untrackable, and the seller is useless at helping me. 

I am leaving a negative feedback on this no matter what, F**k GSP and any sellers who use. it.

Message 19 of 48
Latest reply

Calm down and start at the beginning.

What happens when you click on the tracking number that you have posted above?   It is a GSP tracking number and can only be tracked through that site....asking here will get you nowhere!

Once the item shows as being accepted at Erlanger KY it may sit there for a few days for processing.

It will then show as being handed to another carrier for delivery to its final destination.   You should see the word FEDKEB on the page somewhere.  Click on that word and it will give you the tracking through the FedEx website to Australia, through Customs and then on its way to you.

It is net even overdue yet according to the post above so don't jump the gun about the feedback you are going to leave.

Message 20 of 48
Latest reply