MAKE *AUSTRALIA ONLY* A DEFAULT SEARCH OPTION

The title speaks for itself. Enough said, peace.

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If you use the eBay app, it is possible to enable lockable filters, and then lock your item location filter to "Australia only" so that all searches conform to that.

If you use a desktop browser, there is a third-party add-on called "eBay item location -- my country only" that may allow you to override eBay's "default" item location.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

There is the option for users to select Australia only, but that doesn't just give you Australian sellers. It gives you any seller that posts to Australia, which means you get flooded with Chinese sellers saying they are in Australia, when they aren't. Or that the said Chinse seller only posts to Australia.

eBay does not allow search by seller location or nationality, but does provide an option to search by Item location -- which information is provided by the seller, of course.

I took the OP's post to mean that the poster wanted a way to set the Item location option to Australia and to use that as a default going forward for all searches, not that the poster wanted an entirely new filter option that did not exist.

Message 10 of 46
Latest reply

Eburton - no such filters in Australia (that I know of)- you got this one wrong, sorry

It is entirely possible that eBay provides different options in different locations, and that an option that works in one location may not be available or work in another.

But having said that, in the US, using the eBay app, I can set my country location to Australia and then search for items listed as being located in Australia. I can enable lockable filters, and lock that setting so that all searches going forward return results with Australian item locations only.

image.png

And I can go to ebay.com.au, search using the Item location for items listed in Australia, and then use the browser add-on "ebay item location -- my country only" to ensure that that is the default Item location setting for all future searches.

eburtonlab_1-1669167618585.png

eburtonlab_0-1669167580400.png

It is possible that eBay only provides these options to users outside Australia, but if those options are not available within Australia that may be the result of a programming error rather than a deliberate, intentional choice.

Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

@eburtonlab

I owe you an apology…… I did a bit of digging around our eBay app version late last night and again this morning….. AND I FOUND THE LOCKABLE SETTINGS.

It is different on the AU app, but it works FOR MOST SEARCHES, NOT ALL.

So, if I’m searching second hand items, (eg, denim jeans) the lockable search’s work. I’ll just get AU sellers and AU locations. 
However, if I’m searching brand new items (eg, table runners) the lockable searches don’t work as effectively.  I still get the sponsored listings at the top of the search and I still get dropshippers.  Even when I add the (distance to me, first) I still get these listings in the first two or three lines of results…….……but….. overall, I’ve got to say, it’s a step in the right direction.

We find this lockable filter in a different setting to you in the USA, so I’ve also taken some screen shots.

Can someone using a pc, tell me if you have this option too, please.  
It’s obviously been added since the last upgrade.

Thanks Eburtonlab, for the heads up.  👍🏻 and again, I’m sorry I was rude to you in my previous post. 🌹

A706688E-947D-410D-8C91-ED7186FEC9A8.jpeg

F7336742-8CBC-4BAE-B946-086E800A6916.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.

Message 22 of 46
Latest reply

many many thanks, i was unaware of the possibility to turn on lockable filters +9001

it would be nice to have this option in the browser too *WHO IS WITH ME?*

i offer you the highest of fives for your help! *hands clap and thunder is heard*

incase anyone is wondering, 

do a search

tap filters (top right)

scroll to bottom and tap customise

turn on lockable filters

customisecustomiselockable filterslockable filters

Message 29 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Sorry, but we are only ordinary members here, so we can advise other members, but we cannot make changes to the website or to accounts.

And I think not too long ago somebody here said that they don't accept suggestions, so I am afraid there is not much we can do.

Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

@custos_adam wrote:

The title speaks for itself. Enough said, peace.

Wouldn't it be lovely.

Probably won't happen as ebay wants you to see all the possibilities.

I'd settle for being able to manually change the setting to Australia only as default but you can't even do that.

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

Even worse - sometimes it automatically changes to worldwide... I remember somebody else mentioned this problem some time ago, and now it is happening to me too.

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Yelling at other members will not make it so

Even if it was so, the 'Australia only' thing you want will not work when the seller lies about where the *item* is located

Take an extra 5 seconds and check where the seller is registered 

And 'Australia Only' does not mean the seller is'nt going to be a dodgy liar, so feedback should be checked before buying anyone

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

If you use the eBay app, it is possible to enable lockable filters, and then lock your item location filter to "Australia only" so that all searches conform to that.

If you use a desktop browser, there is a third-party add-on called "eBay item location -- my country only" that may allow you to override eBay's "default" item location.

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

Given you are not in Australia, I doubt you'd have much idea. There is the option for users to select Australia only, but that doesn't just give you Australian sellers. It gives you any seller that posts to Australia, which means you get flooded with Chinese sellers saying they are in Australia, when they aren't. Or that the said Chinse seller only posts to Australia.

I know to check where a seller is located before deciding to buy, but a lot of buyers don't know to do that. They see Sydney as the location of the item, only to discover after they have purchased, that it's coming from China, because that's where the seller is registered. 

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

Eburton - no such filters in Australia  (that I know of)- you got this one wrong, sorry

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

It’s a filter that has long been desired by many eBayers, but eBay Australia itself has no desire to facilitate this option.

The reason for this can only be assumed; however, I am of the view that it’s primarily driven by eBay’s troubled history in China and its very strong agenda to continue to establish its presence there.

I always check a seller’s country of registration when looking for items on eBay. Feedback can also highlight consistent issues or items having been shipped from China, for instance.

Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

There is the option for users to select Australia only, but that doesn't just give you Australian sellers. It gives you any seller that posts to Australia, which means you get flooded with Chinese sellers saying they are in Australia, when they aren't. Or that the said Chinse seller only posts to Australia.

eBay does not allow search by seller location or nationality, but does provide an option to search by Item location -- which information is provided by the seller, of course.

I took the OP's post to mean that the poster wanted a way to set the Item location option to Australia and to use that as a default going forward for all searches, not that the poster wanted an entirely new filter option that did not exist.

Message 10 of 46
Latest reply