MAKE *AUSTRALIA ONLY* A DEFAULT SEARCH OPTION

The title speaks for itself. Enough said, peace.

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Eburton - no such filters in Australia (that I know of)- you got this one wrong, sorry

It is entirely possible that eBay provides different options in different locations, and that an option that works in one location may not be available or work in another.

But having said that, in the US, using the eBay app, I can set my country location to Australia and then search for items listed as being located in Australia. I can enable lockable filters, and lock that setting so that all searches going forward return results with Australian item locations only.

image.png

And I can go to ebay.com.au, search using the Item location for items listed in Australia, and then use the browser add-on "ebay item location -- my country only" to ensure that that is the default Item location setting for all future searches.

eburtonlab_1-1669167618585.png

eburtonlab_0-1669167580400.png

It is possible that eBay only provides these options to users outside Australia, but if those options are not available within Australia that may be the result of a programming error rather than a deliberate, intentional choice.

Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

There could also be a difference between the app and Windows. Personally, I have never used the app and eBay has finally stopped offering me codes if I use it, and I have many options in Windows, but I only have an "Apply" button for that specific search.

Message 12 of 46
Latest reply

eburtonlab, the “in Australia” filter will also include results from (for instance) Chinese sellers who will list somewhere in Australia as the item location, where the item is actually (again, for instance) in the factory in China, or being despatched from the seller to the wharf or airport, or being loaded on pallets onto the ship, or on the high seas en route to Australia, or being strapped down in the cargo area in the plane, or piled up waiting at the port for weeks for clearance, or indeed in Australia at one of the logistics companies’ warehouses …

All of that is regarded by eBay as “in Australia”.

It’s particularly frustrating when a search result turns up pages and pages of that sort of result, effectively flooding the genuine Australian seller listings so that buyers are floundering for the results they want to see.

More people are trying to buy local, and that does mean clicking onto seller’s details to see where they are registered. Extra step - but it does pay off.

Message 13 of 46
Latest reply

Yes, and I think that's what the OP was trying to say - possibly.

Occasionally Chinese sellers who have a warehouse here really have stock, but sadly it does not always happen. Last year (I think it was last year) I bought something from a seller registered in China, but the item arrived really quickly from Sydney, as indicated, and it is quite good. I even wanted to buy another one last month, but they don't seem to have it in stock at the moment. I took the risk because the seller had really good feedback. Feedback is important. I don't know why so many people buy without  looking at it.

Message 14 of 46
Latest reply

I have not seen that on my version of ebay. I wish we had it!

I would love a lockable filter.

Maybe it will come. As ebay is an American company, it seems it runs slightly differently there, with better options.

Message 15 of 46
Latest reply

If you use the eBay app, lockable filters are an option. Enable lockable filters by searching and then using the Filter menu. Scroll down to the "Customize" option, then enable "Lockable Filters". Once you have done that, you will be able to use the lock icon to lock various filter settings including "Item location" so that your searches will default to your chosen settings.

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

I wonder if typing "aussie seller" in the search bar alongside what you're looking for might help?

Message 17 of 46
Latest reply

You aren't in Australia, so can't comment about how things work here. Please stop. Neither the app, or website give the options you describe. It may be the case for you in the US, but it doesn't work for us Down Under. Please stop pushing ideas that don't work here.

Message 18 of 46
Latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

If you use the eBay app, lockable filters are an option. Enable lockable filters by searching and then using the Filter menu. Scroll down to the "Customize" option, then enable "Lockable Filters". Once you have done that, you will be able to use the lock icon to lock various filter settings including "Item location" so that your searches will default to your chosen settings.

I am in Australia and I only use the eBay app and I can absolutely guarantee you, that the info you are giving here, is rubbish!

Our App, does NOT have any lockable search filters.

Ebay AU has a lot of dropshippers, this registers them in a search as Australia, when they’re not! 
Ebay AU always put their sponsored items at the top of all results, often from sellers who are NOT located in Australia! 

So, please stop with your search fixes, when they are useless here.  

much appreciated. 😐

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

It can be surprising just how much difference there is between one version of the eBay app and another. eBay AU and eBay (US) have separately built apps that function differently.

They look similar at a glance. Under the bonnet/hood, the similarity is nowhere near as close. That can be confusing.

Message 20 of 46
Latest reply