More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

I bought 8 LED battens 1.2m, 36W; package arrived squashed; 6 battens bent; 2 OK; could bent 2 back to shape, but the other 4 are bent and cannto be resored due to the aluminium base have kinks. The LEDs light up when connected to power.

Wrote to the seller what they want to do.

Reply: $20 refund.

Wrote back: Well, the 8 did cost me $150; say 4 damaged equals $75...

I get this reply

This really gave me the **bleep**...

My understanding is this is a case of SNAD = significantly not as described.
This means the seller has to provide a return label (=pays the postage for the retunr) and I get a refund.

Is this correct?
How do I have to proceed as I never had to do this before.

Thank you for your responses.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

@megrenk wrote:

The key question: seller in or outside Australia: do they have to pay for return postage if item is not as described; my understanding is they have to.

eBay's Money Back Guarantee does state that a seller is responsible for return postage for items that are not as described, but there is literally nothing that can force a seller to actually pay for it when it comes down to it. In the beginning, eBay had policies in place that suggested if the seller didn't front the expense, it would be charged to their account and the buyer reimbursed - those parts of the policy no longer exist, I'm afraid.

Re: the wording of their reply - lots of intention and meaning can be lost in translation, this goes for both their and your communication. Having dealt with Chinese wholesalers for a good few years now, with plenty of crossed wires along the way, I would personally interpret "we are working on the packages..." and what follows as acknowledging there's an issue and 'we are trying to improve our packaging methods', and suggesting that if they still work, they can still be used so while devalued, not necessarily worthless and compensating for loss of value is actually a common practice, it's even part of Aus consumer law (that is, if goods have an undisclosed fault, the buyer has a right to remedy, and one of the options is a partial refund from the seller to compensate for the loss of value).

Not that I'm suggesting you need to find their offer acceptable, I'm just saying not everything they write can be interpreted literally, and that if you conveyed that the lights are still functioning, the offer may seem perfectly reasonable and fair from their perspective even if you'd prefer to reject it (which is also reasonable - I understand that this kind of flaw isn't necessarily purely an aesthetic one). 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

If the seller is based outside of Australia they cannot generate a shipping label so I think you would be expected to ship them back with tracking at your expense and hope that -

1) They give you the correct return address

2) They refund you

3) They even receive it

Those things look like they would cost a bomb to return anyway.

Is your seller Chinese?

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Yes, HongKong

The key question: seller in or outside Australia: do they have to pay for return postage if item is not as described; my understanding is they have to.

Given what you said:

Should I aim for $50 refund and leave it?

The changed their listing saying: if package is visibly damaged do not accept it. return right there. -- But, it was't visibly damamged; in fact the packaging is not up to the task.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Continue with the case and get a full refund for all items.

They will probably stop working after a few weeks.

Chinese stuff, absolute rubbish. Especially electrical.

Not to mention the cheek of their response.

image host
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Thanks...

Continue with the case... sorry, I do not understand... as I have no case...

What do I need to log with eBay or PayPal?

At present it is my turn to reply if I accept their $40 or negotiate more out fo them...

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Sorry my mistake, thought you had opened a case and communicating within that.

Personally I would open a case for a full refund within the eBay resolution centre.

But that's partly because I am tired of being treated in an unprofessional manner by businesses that want the rewards of professionalism without the effort and taking shortcuts.

image host
Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Definitely aim for a full refund and avoid any return option.

I haven't ever done a return myself but basically I would think that you want to say that the items are BROKEN and cannot be returned. I'm not sure what options you get when you open a case.

Half the problem is that post from China is subsidised by their government so it's super, super cheap for them to send just about anything. On the other hand, ours is incredibly expensive as many buyers have complained about on these boards when it comes to sending a return back to China and they end up losing both their refund and their postage costs.

When all of this is over, avoid buying from China in the future and give your business to Aussie sellers.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

You run into a lot of liability issues if you install 240v electrical items from overseas. If they cause a fire you will not be covered. It's a lot to risk for a few hundred dollars saved. Always buy installed electrical items that have Aussie approval for use. Plus any sparkie worth his salt will refuse to install them.

There's a fair chance eBay will not ask you to send them back if the cost is prohibitive which it could be.
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Open a case on ebay. As these are 1.2m long they will need to go with courier because Aus post wont take anything over a meter so I recon when the seller will see the cost of return post they will probably give you a full refund. 

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Not for overseas mail. I've sent longer stuff overseas.
Message 10 of 26
Latest reply