More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

I bought 8 LED battens 1.2m, 36W; package arrived squashed; 6 battens bent; 2 OK; could bent 2 back to shape, but the other 4 are bent and cannto be resored due to the aluminium base have kinks. The LEDs light up when connected to power.

Wrote to the seller what they want to do.

Reply: $20 refund.

Wrote back: Well, the 8 did cost me $150; say 4 damaged equals $75...

I get this reply

This really gave me the **bleep**...

My understanding is this is a case of SNAD = significantly not as described.
This means the seller has to provide a return label (=pays the postage for the retunr) and I get a refund.

Is this correct?
How do I have to proceed as I never had to do this before.

Thank you for your responses.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

"Sincerely apologize for this problem,but we are working on the packages.
Actually the little damages wont effect the functions of the lights and all of them can work well,right?"

From their comment it sounds very much like you're not the first to complain and that they may knowingly be trying to offload previously damaged goods which they've tested for some level of functionality- (then doing deals on partial refunds which suit their bottom line when they strike buyers who make a fuss). 

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Re: More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

@megrenk wrote:

The key question: seller in or outside Australia: do they have to pay for return postage if item is not as described; my understanding is they have to.

eBay's Money Back Guarantee does state that a seller is responsible for return postage for items that are not as described, but there is literally nothing that can force a seller to actually pay for it when it comes down to it. In the beginning, eBay had policies in place that suggested if the seller didn't front the expense, it would be charged to their account and the buyer reimbursed - those parts of the policy no longer exist, I'm afraid.

Re: the wording of their reply - lots of intention and meaning can be lost in translation, this goes for both their and your communication. Having dealt with Chinese wholesalers for a good few years now, with plenty of crossed wires along the way, I would personally interpret "we are working on the packages..." and what follows as acknowledging there's an issue and 'we are trying to improve our packaging methods', and suggesting that if they still work, they can still be used so while devalued, not necessarily worthless and compensating for loss of value is actually a common practice, it's even part of Aus consumer law (that is, if goods have an undisclosed fault, the buyer has a right to remedy, and one of the options is a partial refund from the seller to compensate for the loss of value).

Not that I'm suggesting you need to find their offer acceptable, I'm just saying not everything they write can be interpreted literally, and that if you conveyed that the lights are still functioning, the offer may seem perfectly reasonable and fair from their perspective even if you'd prefer to reject it (which is also reasonable - I understand that this kind of flaw isn't necessarily purely an aesthetic one). 

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

If you open a dispute via eBay, the seller can't generate an international shipping label via MBG.

i would open a dispute via PayPal for not as described. You will have to pay the initial return postage BUT you have 14 days to claim back the postage from Paypal.

Just follow the Paypal procedure on return shipping.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

You will need to photograph the package with the return address PayPal give you and keep a copy of the postage receipt.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Bad advice. They can't generate a label but eBay can and does pay postage for you in advance. It just goes into your PayPal acc. So better to lodge with eBay and likely not to have to send the stuff back.
Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

i would open a dispute via PayPal for not as described. You will have to pay the initial return postage BUT you have 14 days to claim back the postage from Paypal.

You will need to photograph the package with the return address PayPal give you and keep a copy of the postage receipt.

ONLY if you sign up for the "limited return offer" for postage BEFORE you open a dispute with them. (which is capped at $45.00)

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Returning 8 fluro battens to china will definitely cost more than $45.
Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Bad advice. They can't generate a label but eBay can and does pay postage for you in advance. It just goes into your PayPal acc. So better to lodge with eBay and likely not to have to send the stuff back.

No, this is bad advice. There are countless buyers who have come here asking how they can get the postage back they paid and the answer is, they can't. EBay can't force the seller to cough up the return postage. They can only force a refund for the intial purchase price and postage.

I'd like to see your proof of eBay paying the return postage to an overseas seller.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

eBay paid postage for an item for me prior to sending it back to the uk after non cooperation from the seller. They cover the postage only by standard post.

Not sure what proof you expect but I have a transaction on my PayPal from eBay.
Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

It could be either it was before ebay changed the policy or it could be that the seller authorised ebay to recover the postal amount from their Paypal account. There could be other reasons but no way would I rely on someone else getting a positive outcome as an indication I would be reimbursed.

I would open an ebay claim and then call ebay and explain that the cost of returning would be disproportionate to the cost of the refund and that you may even have difficulty actually posting the item using Aus Post. If you get a reasonable operative they may just authorise the refund on the spot without return, you may have to fight a bit harder.

As others have said if you cannot win with ebay try Paypal, again open the dispute and then call them and give them the same story as to why you should not have to send them back. If you get nowhere ask to speak to a supervisor.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
eBay paid postage for an item for me prior to sending it back to the uk after non cooperation from the seller. They cover the postage only by standard post.

Not sure what proof you expect but I have a transaction on my PayPal from eBay.

UK policies may have applied there, though, as they still have the policy re: charging sellers the return post costs forcibly. 

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply