More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

I bought 8 LED battens 1.2m, 36W; package arrived squashed; 6 battens bent; 2 OK; could bent 2 back to shape, but the other 4 are bent and cannto be resored due to the aluminium base have kinks. The LEDs light up when connected to power.

Wrote to the seller what they want to do.

Reply: $20 refund.

Wrote back: Well, the 8 did cost me $150; say 4 damaged equals $75...

I get this reply

This really gave me the **bleep**...

My understanding is this is a case of SNAD = significantly not as described.
This means the seller has to provide a return label (=pays the postage for the retunr) and I get a refund.

Is this correct?
How do I have to proceed as I never had to do this before.

Thank you for your responses.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

Thank you all for your help and discussion.

What I ended up doing:

I wanted $50, the seeler offered $40

I state, I had enough of this and would log a SNAD with eBay, and my last offer is now a $60 refund.

They accepted the $60, which I got in an instant... case closed (or actually never opened).

Why did I do this?

I can use the bent lights as roof space lights, where their sole purpose is making light and not look pretty.

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Re: More generic: bought 8 items, 6 damaged on arrival = SNAD; seller pays postage for return?!

Well that worked very well for you....congratulations.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

@megrenk wrote:

I can use the bent lights as roof space lights, where their sole purpose is making light and not look pretty.

Good outcome for you, BUT I would be very hesitant on using cheap Chinese lights that are probably not Oz compliant, if anything goes wrong with them your insurance would wipe their hands of any damage caused by them.

I say this because I was silly enough to buy cheap LED lights from China a few years ago and they failed on me, it was pure luck that I discovered the problem before they burnt the house down.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

This is very true Padi but a great deal of the items sold in discount stores have the same problems and look as though they are Au compliant as there are factories in China which just churn out substandard plugs, leads etc which have all the right marks etc on them but are as fake as a Canel bag on ebay!

I have bought cheapo things from China and they have either the AU or UK marks on them but are obviously counterfeit. I am very careful about where I use them and always have them plugged into safety switches and never leave unattended.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

This is a different issue altogether...

BTW: not everything from China is bad; conversly, lots of stuff sold in AU is as bad as some of the (bad) Chinese stuff (but 4 x more epensive)...

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

@megrenk wrote:

This is a different issue altogether...

BTW: not everything from China is bad; conversly, lots of stuff sold in AU is as bad as some of the (bad) Chinese stuff (but 4 x more epensive)...

From an earlier post of yours you said you intended to use the bent lights in a roof space, TBH that's the last place I'd use damaged LED lights from China...............................

Quote:-

"Why did I do this?

I can use the bent lights as roof space lights, where their sole purpose is making light and not look pretty."

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 26
Latest reply