Paypal Double dipping

Hi all, Have my Paypal account linked to my bank account for purchases, and today they took funds for a purchase, then took exactly the same amount again, even using the same Paypal debit transaction number. I fail to see how this could even happen with their so called hi tech system.  Maybe I am being sceptical here, but wait for it, I bet I will have to wait days to get the funds back, and it was a couple of hundred dollars too, not to be sneezed at. I will be calling them at first chance tomorrow to get stuck right into them, but they will have their excuses to read out from their little answer book. I wonder how much interest they are making from doing this new trick world wide? Has anyone else being caught up today in this one?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Paypal Double dipping

I was reading a post earlier on the Power Sellers board about paypal double dipping.  I'm not so good at posting links, but see if this works & it may be some help http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/PowerSellers/Customer-was-charged-twice-for-same-item-EY/m-p/1797787...

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Don't be so quick to judge.

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back.   I made a large payment (AU$800) to the UK late at night and there was a glitch....the payment did not appear to go through.  I waited a while and then rechecked paypal and my bank account and still no payment so I did it again.

A few hours later I went to pay a small amount but could not as my account was overdrawn.  I then discovered that paypal had a hold on the $800 twice.  I was furious as you can imagine, especially as I needed the money for my electricity bill within 2 days.  I rang the bank and was told that it would be 10 days before the hold lapsed and I would get my money back

I rang paypal immediately and explained the situation clearly.  Thankfully the girl was lovely and understood what I was saying.  She confirmed that paypal would only be claiming one amount and that if I could get a fax number from my bank she would fax them a disclaimer for one of the amounts.

Within half an hour of discovering the mistake it had been rectified and I had my money back....paypal sent the disclaimer at once.

Instead of jumping up and down at paypal, try being calm and explain the mistake.  You just may find paypal will surprise you.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

@mbselections00 wrote:

I was reading a post earlier on the Power Sellers board about paypal double dipping.  I'm not so good at posting links, but see if this works & it may be some help http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/PowerSellers/Customer-was-charged-twice-for-same-item-EY/m-p/1797787...

Nobody but powersellers can access that link mb.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

Woman Embarassed of course - shame Woman Embarassed

Anyway, your post was excellent and will probably help calm the OP & help put their mind at ease.  I must agree, paypal have always been very helpful and courteous on the very few occasions I have contacted them.

I do hope it's something that can be fixed quickly

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

I just hope the OP reads it before they read the riot act to paypal.  Some people are their own worst enemies and refuse to see any good in paypal or ebay.   Mistakes can and do happen....it is the way that they are handled that tells the story.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

So very true.  Let's hope they post a happy ending tomorrow Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

Lyn, it depends which bank. Had the same thing happen a few years ago with a large international purchase. Same amount, same transaction details...rang the bank at about 3am. The rep could see it was a duplicate and removed one on the spot.

so the transaction might be able to be fixed up by the bank, too. I was told it was no problem as it hadn't gone through yet, it was still pending.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

same thing has happened to me today am so wild as they double paid my phone company who now have to review and i have to wait up to a week for a refund im so wild im flat broke now. as its so late i had a look on the paypal facebook page and yes i could see others complaining im so annoyed oh whoops i think i have replied to the wrong person!! oh who said not to be judgemental for goodness sake im a low income earner and the weekend is nearly on us i cant see any money been returned till next week and thats paypals motto isnt it safe way to shop not so safe after all. a glitch human error whatever it should not happen 

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Paypal Double dipping

All points taken onboard, I will hear them out, both Paypal and my bank, but someone has stuffed up and it will need to be reversed as fast as it was taken or the FOS will be on their backs. It simply should not happen with all the automation that they use on our accounts, the identical Lodgement details for the debit should have caused the system to stall at the payment.  Do they need a backup computer to keep watch on the accounts computer do they? I mean, try and pay a bill online by leaving off one simple digit, or adding an extra one, and the payment will be rejected until you get it correct, but they can still take my money from their end with the wrong numbers. Go figure that one. It's ok when it suits.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply