Pick up item,and buyer refuses to let me pay cash on pick up????sound fishy to anyone else????

orge069
Community Member

Hi guys I just bought an outdoor wicker dining setting from 6 suburbs away,now item listed as pick up only??common sense dictates cash is king??not for this guy, will not even give me a phone number untill i pay for it,by paypal or bank deposit??? Now we have been going at it for 4 days now and no way in hell he will change his mind,he has reported me to ebay?? because I wont pay his way ,and all this bull about I`ve entered into a legal contract and have to fulfill my end,so I offered to pay him with paypal/bank deposit on the spot, the way he wants,as soon as I see and check what I`m buying, he went off his nut,anyway the ling to his add is below,cheers http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321515589678?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Pick up item,and buyer refuses to let me pay cash on pick up????sound fishy to anyone else????

Why won't you pay with paypal?

It will give buyer protection, if the item is not as described you can get your money back.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Wonder if there is some undisclosed fault with it and they just want you to pay before you sight it? Why else would they not want payment on pickup? They seem to want you to pay upfront for some unknown reason.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

There is NO buyer protection when using Paypal for a pick up item.

Seller is a twit for refusing cash and no way on earth should you even consider paying by bank deposit.

Report HIM to ebay.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
In the absence of buyer protection for pickup items, there's no way on earth I'd be paying via any method other than cash on pickup, once I'd inspected the thing to make sure that it was in good condition. I think the seller has a cheek expecting you to fork out over $900 on an item sight-unseen, and the fact that he's reluctant to accept cash on pickup tells me that something is not quite as it seems.

Stick to your guns and if you end up with a non-payment strike, eBay will almost certainly remove it on appeal once you explained the situation to them. BTW, how can he have a feedback score of 24 if he's only made one purchase in the last 12 months. There's something dodgy about this seller and I wouldn't be dealing with him at all.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Check the seller's feedback. I'm beginning to suspect its a hijacked account.
Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Hi mate will all the scams about these days,a guy i know paid for a bicycle before he picked it up,and when he got to address,no such person existed,Ok why take the risk and have your money tied up in paypal claim for anything upto a month sometimes more,not worth it. And the fact that he will not accept cash payment, no where in his add was it stated that it was paypal / bank deposit only???  See this is why people get ripped off,look I know u are covered by paypal,but not the point,the fact is is we dont smarten up,and these scammers keep getting away with it they will do it more and more,anyway

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Ok my bad, i alway take cash when they pick up.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Yeah, your right, i've just be informed by other members that there is no buy protection with paypal on pick up, so don't listen to me.lol

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

In all fairness to the seller it clearly states in the listing that they accept paypal and bank depost.

I have no idea why they will not except cash but it does sound a bit strange and if there is no protection with paypal then that could be why. Another theory is that they may not even have the item and they themselves need to pay for it first or something, as in know for sure that someone is going to pay (and pay) and then buy it themselves.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply