Pick up item,and buyer refuses to let me pay cash on pick up????sound fishy to anyone else????

orge069
Community Member

Hi guys I just bought an outdoor wicker dining setting from 6 suburbs away,now item listed as pick up only??common sense dictates cash is king??not for this guy, will not even give me a phone number untill i pay for it,by paypal or bank deposit??? Now we have been going at it for 4 days now and no way in hell he will change his mind,he has reported me to ebay?? because I wont pay his way ,and all this bull about I`ve entered into a legal contract and have to fulfill my end,so I offered to pay him with paypal/bank deposit on the spot, the way he wants,as soon as I see and check what I`m buying, he went off his nut,anyway the ling to his add is below,cheers http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321515589678?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Pick up item,and buyer refuses to let me pay cash on pick up????sound fishy to anyone else????

hey mate exactly how i feel, and did report him,ebay thought it strange he has been refusing to give contact details and refusing cash on pick up,so he will be watched they said.The guy sounds very young,knowing my luck its some youngster jumped his neighbours fence took some snap`s of their outdoor dining setting,and sold it to me, hoping i would pay him his way, so he can buy a new  drum kit or skatboard,anyway footy`s on,go the doggy`s

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

Why don't you pull his contact details via Advanced Search and that will tell you his address and phone number, then you'll know if he does in fact only live 6 suburbs away.
Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

It does sound odd that the seller has an attitude at this early stage. The buyer mentioned that they have "Been going at it" for 4 days & wont give out his phone # . It's gunna be interesting at the Pick Up, if there is one ?  I'd be afraid to knock on his door.  ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

"how can he have a feedback score of 24 if he's only made one purchase in the last 12 months"

The feedback number doesn't drop at any time no matter how few transactions a member has had in the last 12 months.

The Seller has a feedback number of (24) with a total of 33 for buying and selling.

The Selling , although not recent, seems to have been for pick up items.

The Seller hasn't actually done anything wrong.

Although cash on pick up is generally best for both parties, a seller doesn't actually have to offer cash on pick up for  items.

The seller only offered Bank Deposit or Paypal and whilst I'm not defending the Seller, the OP should have asked if cash on pick up

was an option  before placing a bid on the furniture.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

The seller has positive feedback in the past 12 months for selling some items of furniture (up to $365).

They may just be a bit 'paranoid'... thinking a buyer is going to get their address and steal the outdoor furniture when they aren't home.

They may also want the buyer to pay now so they know the buyer is serious and not going to muck them around by not turning up on the agreed pick up day. (Not that I think the OP should pay by Paypal before they see the item).

They may not want to keep $900 in cash in their house either.

Paying by paypal on pick up day after the item has been inspected..would be the best option.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Stick with pay on pickup - even if you have to pay by paypal as the seller seems to be insisting on this ( are you able to do that via mobile phone while you are there?) 

Choosing a Payment method for buyers

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/methods.html

Pay on pick up

Advantages:

• No registration or fee

• Immediate, in-person payment to the seller upon pick up of item. Payment methods can include cheques, money orders, cash, PayPal, or credit card*

Note: Most sellers don't accept cheques or money orders, because if they don't clear after the buyer has picked up the item, the seller has fewer options for resolving the problem. See our Accepted Payments Policy.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

IMO Paranoid may be the right word. If you get to that point, where you are scared your going to be robbed $$ & goy would you have items that are Pick up only ? 

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

It is an expensive item and a large item. Pick-up is the only option if they want to sell it...doesn't mean they aren't worried about theft  from their house beforehand.. or fake bank notes!

Seller worries about getting scammed by the buyer, buyer worries about getting scammed by the seller.

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

@robinsonmarineparts wrote:

Why won't you pay with paypal?

It will give buyer protection, if the item is not as described you can get your money back.

NOT on a pick up only item

there is no buyr or seller protection with Paypal for pickup

Never pay for a pickup item until after you have inspected and found it is ok / as described  / fully working ... etc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Yeah, you're right of course. I was on my 5th bourbon and got confused between feedback numbers and percentage which would be 0% if he hadn't bought something just the other day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Interestingly, it is his first transaction in more than 12 months and although he has sold furniture in the past, it was all well over a year ago and I'm wondering if he simply bought something just to get his feedback up from 0% to 100% before listing his $900 outdoor setting. I've been on eBay far too long not to be suspicious when I see things like that, and his actions certainly aren't helping either.
Message 20 of 30
Latest reply