Seller has just brushed me off

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Seller has just brushed me off

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Colour me thick...

How can a buyer be overcharged if they paid the cost of shipping displayed on the listing?

Actuallly tuckcase1989, the buyer paid $40.50 for postage and the sticker said $29.00 so that's an extra $11.50 as indiicated below. quite a mark up!

@tulip*place wrote:

The postage charges were $22.00 for the larger dish and $18.50 for the smaller one (this is the one with the issues.)

Total postage paid was $40.50 and the actual cost as per the sticker on the box was $29.00.

I requested a return label from the seller and just received a reply with their address.    Guess they're not wanting to pay

for the return post cost.

As suggested  I will now go through the ebay process..

It just doesn't seem fair!

I have never even glanced at the "cost" on a package when it arrived.

The item arrives as described at the price/shipping I was happy to pay...works for me.

It might pay to and an example is he case of our OP here who has been overcharged quite a bit!

Message 41 of 93
Latest reply

Spoiler

@4channel wrote:

@tulip*place wrote:

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

Hi again tulip*place, I'd just like to revise what I wrote to you in reply below.

@4channel wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply tulip*place. So this seller charged you an extra $11.50 for post. That's a bit of a bum deal!

In all fairness, the seller should refund you $11.50 + a percentage of the $ 29.00 + the return cost + the cost for the inferior / misgraded / damaged item.

I'd say you could be and should be entitled to a refund of the following amount if you decided to

Keep item

* $11.50 that you were overcharged on postage.

* A partial refund of an agreed amount on the "inferior / mis-graded / damaged item"

Return item

* A refund of an amount which  the difference between the $29 postage cost and what the postage would have been for the one item. Perhaps the cost for you to send item back to seller could be subtracted from the $29 to give you that amount (IE: $5.00)

* A full refund on return cost of the "inferior / mis-graded / damaged item"

* A refund of what the incorrectly graded item cost you.

When I was a seller I made it my personal policy to never overcharge on postage and the packing and the materials to pack with were my responsibility. I didn't have a PayPal account back then and payments were made via bank deposit, money order or cash well-hidden. With a few buyers I actually refunded on the amount  change due that was less than the dollar note value by sending some postage stamps to them to use. From memory, a couple I sent coins as change.

* NOTE: Before returning item you should advise seller of what they have to refund you.

Some sellers find cunning ways of gouging extra money from buyers by employing a number of tactics. I've seen most of them! It may not be the case here and your seller may not be capable of doing a proper postage amount for multiple items etc.. The main thing is that you shouldn't have to pay for their incompetency with your walllet if this was the case.

tulip*place, please disregard the advice 4channel is posting in this topic - as davewil has pointed out a few messages ago, to follow 4channel's overzealous "reasoning" is just going to set yourself up for further conflict - the information they're posting is a furphy.

An INAD return request will see you refunded for the marked dish, the postage for that dish alone, and it will be the seller who coveres the cost of returning the item, either through you being reimbursed for return shipping you initially pay for, or either the seller or eBay providing a return label for you to use.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 42 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
Spoiler

@4channel wrote:

@tulip*place wrote:

Hi again tulip*place, I'd just like to revise what I wrote to you in reply below.

@4channel wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply tulip*place. So this seller charged you an extra $11.50 for post. That's a bit of a bum deal!

In all fairness, the seller should refund you $11.50 + a percentage of the $ 29.00 + the return cost + the cost for the inferior / misgraded / damaged item.

I'd say you could be and should be entitled to a refund of the following amount if you decided to

Keep item

* A partial refund of an agreed amount on the "inferior / mis-graded / damaged item"

Return item

* A refund of an amount which  the difference between the $29 postage cost and what the postage would have been for the one item. Perhaps the cost for you to send item back to seller could be subtracted from the $29 to give you that amount (IE: $5.00)

* A full refund on return cost of the "inferior / mis-graded / damaged item"

* A refund of what the incorrectly graded item cost you.

When I was a seller I made it my personal policy to never overcharge on postage and the packing and the materials to pack with were my responsibility. I didn't have a PayPal account back then and payments were made via bank deposit, money order or cash well-hidden. With a few buyers I actually refunded on the amount  change due that was less than the dollar note value by sending some postage stamps to them to use. From memory, a couple I sent coins as change.

* NOTE: Before returning item you should advise seller of what they have to refund you.

Some sellers find cunning ways of gouging extra money from buyers by employing a number of tactics. I've seen most of them! It may not be the case here and your seller may not be capable of doing a proper postage amount for multiple items etc.. The main thing is that you shouldn't have to pay for their incompetency with your walllet if this was the case.

tulip*place, please disregard the advice 4channel is posting in this topic - as davewil has pointed out a few messages ago, to follow 4channel's overzealous "reasoning" is just going to set yourself up for further conflict - the information they're posting is a furphy.

An INAD return request will see you refunded for the marked dish, the postage for that dish alone, and it will be the seller who coveres the cost of returning the item, either through you being reimbursed for return shipping you initially pay for, or either the seller or eBay providing a return label for you to use.

Tazzieterror, what I posted is a guide to what the Op can get back for being overcharged.

* Why is it that you and the same bunch of people feel that you have to control what gets said here in the forum?

* Why is it that you seem to have a dislike for buyers getting a fair go and what they are entitled to?

Please note that this is a forum for buyers, not sellers to control!

Best wishes your fellow eBayer Mr. 4channel

Message 43 of 93
Latest reply

Again...if a buyer  is happy to pay the shipping charge CLEARLY POSTED ON THE LISTING then how have they been overcharged?

Message 44 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Tazzieterror, what I posted is a guide to what the Op can get back for being overcharged.

* Why is it that you and the same bunch of people feel that you have to control what gets said here in the forum?

* Why is it that you seem to have a dislike for buyers getting a fair go and what they are entitled to?

No one is controling what gets said - clearly you've been able to post whatever you want. But some of it is misleading and I'm simply warning the buyer as much.

If you actually read through the topic, you'd see I've been very supportive of this buyer.

Please try to stick to facts in future.

Message 45 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I'd just like to add too that I could write a book about the dishonest, pathetic, careless overly optimistic, incorrect grading that I have come across in buying items. The worst being the filthy insect feces ridden book I got early this year (or was it late last year?). The seller deliberately was slow in replying and I lost track of things as you do. PayPal had to step in and as a gesture, refund me out of their purse instead of taking the money from the feces sending seller. I just discovered within the last couple of months that I still haven't been refunded.

In saying this, certain categories of rare items do attract overly optimistic grading at the very least as some sellers believe they deserve to be graded higher than the actual grade. This happens with obscure items. I will admit that us buyers need to do research through their feedback incl. positive feedback to look for clues of mis-grading

Good to see you're right on top of things, and feel competent enough to advise the OP

Message 46 of 93
Latest reply

Many thanks for your replies.  Just to mention that the seller has already left feedback when item was posted.  Will contact seller one more time and ask if they think it is acceptable for a $20.00 dish that they didn't bother checking I will be up for the $18.50 cost of the original postage, same to return the item and the $11.00 that was overcharged on postage.  Total of postage seller expects me to pay is $48.00 for their stuff up.  Not happy Jan.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 47 of 93
Latest reply

Again...if a buyer  is happy to pay the shipping charge CLEARLY POSTED ON THE LISTING then how have they been overcharged?

Well, if a buyer is happy to pay post costs clearly stated then that's fine. If I was a seller and I packed 2 items together from 2 auctions and the actual  postage cost of  $20.00 was $11.50 less than what the buyer paid me ($40.50)  then I'd refund that amount to the buyer. What would you do? Would you pocket the $11.50?

I guess we better ask the OP what kind of special box the seller sent items in.

True story here. Years ago, I bid on and won some early 70s service manuals for some hi-fi equipment. They were just 2 page manuals. The seller had $40 postage for each of them. Me being me back then which was "Mr. Bull at a gate", I charged in and bid on and won 3 items from the seller for around US $1.20 each. I thought an error from the seller and he would sort out the costs properly which would total around five bucks max for all 3. No! The seller wanted $120 postage for these saying they were going to be specially wrapped. I knew then that I had walked into a scam. If there had been other bidders and the items finished for say ...  $20 ... $40, $25, I would have had to pay $120 on the items for postage plus winning price.

I argued the point with the seller and he said as a special favour to me, he would send them to me at reduced postage cost of $ 80. Well there was no way that I was going to pay USD $80 for postage when it would only be around $5! No way.

I actually came here for advice about this and got these negative replies and from memory a couple of borderline attacks. Were the same bullies here today doing it back then? I can't find the thread any more.

Anyway, I could have given him 3 negatives. But I actually didn't want to do it. He threatened to put in a non-payment dispute which he said would affect my buying power or something.  In hind sight I should have left negs to warn others but I just decided to pay him  around $3.60 and he could keep them. Later I think he re-listed them with normal postage. Perhaps he saw the error of his ways.

I think ......  from memory  ... .. .this was around the time our man Kevin Rudd was the PM and the AU dollar was stacking up quite well.

Message 48 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Many thanks for your replies.  Just to mention that the seller has already left feedback when item was posted.  Will contact seller one more time and ask if they think it is acceptable for a $20.00 dish that they didn't bother checking I will be up for the $18.50 cost of the original postage, same to return the item and the $11.00 that was overcharged on postage.  Total of postage seller expects me to pay is $48.00 for their stuff up.  Not happy Jan.

You shouldn't have to pay for a seller's stuff up. No way!!!!

Perhaps you can claim this through PayPal.

Message 49 of 93
Latest reply

I would simply open the return case and allow It to play out. There's nothing to be gained by admonishing the seller at this point.

To be clear, I don't agree that you've been overcharged $11.00 for shipping costs. I would instead say you've been underpostaged by the seller, though not to the tune of $11.00

You were evidently happy to pay $40.50 in shipping costs to receive two dishes, and if not, why did you go ahead with the purchase?

Message 50 of 93
Latest reply