Shill bidding?

lolobgo
Community Member

Hi Guys,

I've been bidding on an item that has been removed before the end of the auction once before, and the guy relisted it. The guy has a 0 Feedback rate.... i thought it might have just been a newbee seller.....

Once again i bid on it, but was outbid in the last 5 minutes.... That was all good as i didn't want to pay that much anyway... but then i looked at the winners bidding details.... I dunno if i am reading this wrong, or there is shill bidding going on... 

heres the details

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 18
Items bid on: 7
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months):

Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Other 1 Seller 1 <1h
 Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Classic, Vintage Parts 2 Seller 1 2d 7h
 Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Vintage Car & Truck Parts 1 Seller 1 1d 15h
 Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Engines, Components 10 Seller 1 1d 16h
 Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Other 1 Seller 1 2d 22h
 Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Engines, Components 1 Seller 1 2d
 Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Other 2 Seller 1 1d 23h

I read that as the winning bidder has only bid on this particular sellers items.....  And bid on all 7 of his items? 

Am i reading that info right? do you guys reckon it's shill bidding? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Shill bidding?

You let slip yourself that your bid retraction was due to a change of mind on your part after you found out you could get the same thing cheaper elsewhere... it was only then that you 'conveniently' decided the seller that you had done wrong by was somehow a shill bidder... pfttt to that.

You didn't even provide any actual details involved so that we could check/confirm the veracity of your accusations against the seller that you had wronged. An oversight on your part perhaps? Gee, how... erm... 'convenient'.

I'm not a disagreeable person at all, I just disagree with people trying to scapegoat & blame others for their own sins. Shame on you for that. 

Message 21 of 44
Latest reply

sloan - you can take it from me (and Lyndal and I have had our issues) but if you want good adivce on these boards, you would pay attention to her posts.

If you don't want good advice, or an experienced users views, here's a suggestion - don't post at all.!

The members here are volunteers who try to help, but the biggest thing that puts most of us off is when a member asks for help or opinions and then comes back to tell us how expert they already are.

Good Luck with it all, I will be sure to check with you in future for all the eBay protocols.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 22 of 44
Latest reply

@sloanranger62 wrote:

Lyndal1838 with your 9000+ posts here you are again trolling these boards giving me a BUG IN MY EAR about the fact that it was not SHILL BIDDING.  What indepth knowledge do you know about the case as that is only between the seller, me the bidder & Ebay.  You really are a bully on these board and people like you are the reason I hardly use them.

Ahem !!!

You're the one that started trolling this thread. Shifting blame seems to be your MO doesn't it?

Message 23 of 44
Latest reply

THERE IS NOT MUCH HELP HERE and you are kidding yourself if you think I'm the troll (I hardly ever come here) and shall definitely not be doing so again.  The only really helpful board is the POWERSELLER board there is no nastiness there.  In the past 17 minutes 3 of you have given me a serve.  As far as kudos goes it is like visiting toxic facebook.  Don't worry I am not well enougth for this (I have colon cancer & schizophrenia) and shall never post again I AM LEAVING THIS BOARD IN TEARS just because I think I encountered shill bidding .        

Message 24 of 44
Latest reply

@sloanranger62 wrote:

THERE IS NOT MUCH HELP HERE and you are kidding yourself if you think I'm the troll (I hardly ever come here) and shall definitely not be doing so again.  The only really helpful board is the POWERSELLER board there is no nastiness there.  In the past 17 minutes 3 of you have given me a serve.  As far as kudos goes it is like visiting toxic facebook.  Don't worry I am not well enougth for this (I have colon cancer & schizophrenia) and shall never post again I AM LEAVING THIS BOARD IN TEARS just because I think I encountered shill bidding .        

Well that's a shame, perhaps you should ask over on PS and see if you are any more accepting of the advice you receive there.

You accused a long time and respected member of being a troll, what did you expect after that ? A welcome banner ?

I certainly hope this part of your post was genuine -

and shall never post again 

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 25 of 44
Latest reply

Melodramatic exit followed by awkward silence ahhh i feel like it's Christmas day with my sister.I never did like her much.Anyhoo enough nostalgia for a fight with my genetic rival & mortal enemy (sister,not you.I don't know you).It's all about the shilling today,alrightythen!

Plenty of real examples of shill bidding happening so sit down with ya jam jar of wine honey & report some dodgy listings or something.

I know i have reported my black little heart out today,too hot for drama or capps lock yelling.Use your indoor voice.

There,that helped me anyway.

Message 26 of 44
Latest reply

Just love coming here early in the mornings (arhhhh,whats the time?oh sh&& its 4.30am....) Anyway,as i was saying,i love coming here first thing in the morning and get me self the first laugh of the day..Not aimed at anyone but just how people conduct themselves on hereSmiley Very Happy

I see a few more posts i would love to visit..bye.......

Message 27 of 44
Latest reply

I tried to report a similar situation where a "buyer" had bid 80% of the time with the seller.  eBay were not interested as the transaction had ended.  How serious are they in trying to stamp out shill bids?

Screenshot_2021-04-08 Bid history Details eBay.png

Message 28 of 44
Latest reply

I comment on a lot of other forums and I don't hesitate to let other forumites know what is happening on eBay.  Stuff them!!

Message 29 of 44
Latest reply