Worrying about return

I purchased shoes for $560 (yes I know) and there was clear damage when I took them out of the box.  They are also a different model to the one advertised and have the wrong box.  I tried to be nice to the seller so the return would be smooth but she opened a dispute accusing me of damaging them to get a lower price.  Its all ridiculous.

Now I am concerned because apparently review is 'on hold' and they seem to be asking the seller questions but not interested in what I have to say.  What should I do I am feeling powerless and this is for a lot of money where the seller is clearly in the wrong.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Worrying about return

Haven't been in the situation where I've had to do this personally, but that's my understanding from reading the boards (ebay and paypal are separate companies with their own buyer protection policies).

Maybe one of the more experienced members can confirm this.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Yes, if an ebay dispute fails you can open a dispute in paypal.

The only problem with a Not As Described dispute is that the buyer is responsible for the postage to return the item to the seller if the seller wants it back.  The return postage scheme offered by paypal is limited and you have to opt into it.

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

@scrambler3333 wrote:

Holy Moly check out all the negs lol

For someone who doesn't buy often!

Eye opener indeed

...........and if I'm reading the feedback correctly , the OP has left an awful lot of those negs for Buyers (back in the olden days when you could) where those Buyers have complained about issues with items they've bought from the OP. 

(If I've read the FB wrong, I retract the above in full.)

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

You're right.      And sellers left negs for the OP as well (in the days when you could)

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

I'd be interested to know how this works out.

At first I thought you could take some photos of the damage and if you sent them through to ebay/paypal, they could read the ad & see for themselves any departures from what was described.

But what is worrying me is that it seems the shoes received are not the same style or model of shoes as in the ad.

Now if you were a buyer who paid that much for shoes then got a damaged pair that were a different style, you'd be very concerned and expect things made good.

But what if the seller claims the right shoes were sent and the buyer has substituted another, inferior pair and that if ebay reps look at the photos they will see they are not the same shoes?

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

A very worrying situation indeed and a typical example of the pitfalls in online buying/selling:

As a seller - listing expensive fashion/designer items

As a buyer - spending so much money on an item sight unseen

In this case - most likely a no win situation for either of them Smiley Surprised

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

That is actually incorrect. If you open a dispute with eBay regardless of the outcome you cannot open a dispute with PayPal and vice versa.

However you could appeal the decision.

Exclusions
Vehicles, Real Estate, Websites & Business for Sale, Classified Ads and services, Tickets, Digital Goods, Intangibles and Gift Cards are not covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee. Read the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.
If you paid with a payment method other than PayPal or via a credit card through checkout, or as a PayPal Guest, you won't be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee. PayPal Buyer Protection may be available for PayPal Guest checkout transactions.
If you have already opened a dispute with PayPal, you won't be able to open a request or case with eBay.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Not quite correct snowbunnies.....if you open a dispute with ebay and it fails then you can open a dispute in paypal, but not the other way round.

You cannot have both disputes open at the same time.

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

@snowbunnies2016 wrote:

That is actually incorrect. If you open a dispute with eBay regardless of the outcome you cannot open a dispute with PayPal and vice versa.

When the MBG was first introduced here by eBay, you definitely could not open a PayPal claim after an eBay case was closed, but PayPal changed the rules on that.

You can't have two open at once, and eBay may prevent a case from being opened if a PP dispute is underway (or close an MBG request if a PayPal case is opened), but the amendment for PayPal occurred in a September update last year:

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full (it's under the first listed, dated to take effect 1st September, 2015, under "Changes to the buyer protection policy"). 

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

I had a similar experience to this. I bought faulty ugg boots. The seller accused me of causing the damage and before I had the chance to do anything, as I was hoping to solve the problem amicably, the seller opened a case against me and both ebay and paypal found in the seller's favour. I had to ring paypal in the end and argue my case quite firmly with a supervisor and got my money refunded in the end. This is after paypal saying I might have misused the ugg boot and possibly used them as hiking boots to cause the damage (broken zip).

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply