seller charged me postage for two items and then sent together - wrong?

teporar0
Community Member

hope someone can help me here.  last weekend I won two auctions from a seller.  first was for 99 cents + 8.50 shipping.  i sent through payment straight away.  then a half hour later I won a second auction $36.99 + $7 shipping.  I messaged the seller before paying for the second and asked if he could combine postage on the two items. he said sorry it but the first was already packed up and courier called, so no combining.  so I paid the 36.99 + 7 shipping for the second one. each item had a different tracking number, but all the week the first items tracking number just says "shipping info received by australia post" without any updates, while tracking on the second kept updating during the week.

today I received the second item, and it had the first item packed in with it.  the seller obviously decided to combine them to save on postage, and pocket the extra payment I made for postage, after saying he coulntt combine them.  they're both small and light items, and i don't think sending them together would have cost any more - still less than 500g combined in a small box.

can i report this seller to ebay and get my second postage payment back?  thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 83
Latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: seller charged me postage for two items and then sent together - wrong?

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@stawka

I hadn't notice your kudo count before . . . . . . tippy and I are not in the same league as you, not by a long way.

Yeah, but Stawks spends an aweful lot of time on the US boards trying to find her watch-list and things.

Spoiler
How are your Firies Stawks??????                        YXJIMTh0T2FmczQx_o_funny-pranks-grill-fire-prank.jpg

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 61 of 83
Latest reply

@ stawka

I want an update on your chicken on a raft progress

Message 62 of 83
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@ stawka

I want an update on your chicken on a raft progress

I had managed to get that out of my mind up until now ya bugga.............................

http://chickenonaraft.com/

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 63 of 83
Latest reply

padi, when I first saw it posted on the boards I lasted for 79 minutes

Message 64 of 83
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Yeah, but you've started 49 threads to my 48, so you win a badge before me. That makes you much more betterer than me. I'd like to know Dave's rate of threads started......... ๐Ÿ˜„

Which is moderately unbelievable. Even counting groups, it's a stretch.

Message 65 of 83
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

padi, when I first saw it posted on the boards I lasted for 79 minutes

You need a life more than me, it seems

Message 66 of 83
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Did the seller state that he offers combined postage?  You got that.

Did the seller offer DISCOUNTED postage?   If not, then he has every right to charge the full postage on both items.

Sorry, but this is kind of missing the point.

The buyer got combined postage, yes, but after being expressly told it was too late and that they couldn't have combined postage - what reason would there be for A) saying no and doing it anyway, or B) discovering it could be done after all and saying nothing to the person who asked about it and literally paid two separate postage costs? 

If anyone can find me an eBay member (other than regulars of this board, as this notion has been posted numerous times) who has never thought there were implied cost savings inherent in the phrase "combined postage", I'll be very surprised indeed.  

Apologies for coming into this thread rather late. DG - totally agree. I've never understood why anyone would think 'combined postage' didn't also mean overall reduced postage cost. I just wish more buyers were aware of the advantages i.e. postage cost per item is less. If you are a seller, there is also an advantage in combining postage, as the ebay fees are less.

Message 67 of 83
Latest reply

@teporar0 wrote:

i finally sent a message to the seller yesterday morning challenging them on the way they handled the postage thing. hadn't had a response as of this evening so opened a INR case to see if i could force a reply (don't hate me, i wasn't going to escalate it), and sure enough had a response within two hours.  seller's been away, only just read my messages, might have negotiated on a refund but won't now because i'm deplorable(!) for raising an INR case for an item they know i've received.

oh well, there offended. i pointed out they had two weeks to get in touch about it, and that i'd only raised a case to force a response.  told them they could keep the "postage" money, and i've now closed the case.

bit disappointed they didn't give a proper excuse.

Check the sellers listing and selling activity during those two weeks they are saying they were away.

You'll soon find out if they were telling little furfies or not.

I cant say I agree with you opening an INR, but you have so thats that!  The fact they responded within two hours is just oh so coincidental isnt it!!  *wink wink*    I think this seller is the dishonest one and the one who is more *deplorable* here.
AND..... thats just my opinion based solely of the story presented here before me!  (For those who are a bit touchy on me using the word *fact*) Man Wink   Fair enough....

Are you able to report the seller for postage *something something*  (I dont know the ebay term..... making $$ via postage costings)
Idk because I've not been in the situatioin your in.

HOWEVER......  you should neg the seller. Dont be rash, be honest. That way the seller wont be able to have the neg removed.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 68 of 83
Latest reply

Hi everyone, 

This thread has gone off topic.

Can we please bring the topic back to the original post "seller charged me postage for two items and then sent together - wrong?"

Cheers, 

luna-2304

Community Moderator

Message 69 of 83
Latest reply

Sounds like the seller did an ebay postage label for the first item,(hadn't sent it when you won the second item) and sent the two items together. The tracking for the first label will only show "shipping information received" which means he has processed the shipping label. My guess is that we will request a cancellation on the first shipping label, but keep your postage unless when you request a refund he does refund the shipping. Don't leave any feedback until you hear back from the seller.

Message 70 of 83
Latest reply