Spiritual Awakening Twin Flames and Psychosis

Hi all.  Someone very close to me has recently been admitted to a Psych ward.  This person claims to have had a massive spiritual awakening  (that has turned very dark) and believies that they are on a journey with their twin flame (like a soulmate but more intense) to spread love and light to heal the human race...  They are currently being given anti-psychotic meds.  

Does anyone know much about spiritual awakenings, twin flame concepts or soul emergencies? Any and all opinions, advice, reccommended reading etc welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Spiritual Awakening Twin Flames and Psychosis

Doctors are happy enough for me to hold on to my spiritual belief as they are harmless. My spiritual awakening wasn't dark though it was a life changing experience

Message 31 of 56
Latest reply

@bright.ton42 wrote:

Sorry, op,   but I'm very dubious about spiritual awakenings unless they are in a way that helps the person and others,  the bible is full of such things eg Paul on the road to Damascus,  Augustine, both of whom found a better and more constructive path, where they claimed they found light,   not darkness. 

Your friend sadly found herself in deep darkness that obviously overwhelmed her,   the priests said to go to hospital, and she chose to, and has presumably been  diagnosed with psychosis.    I have no problem with strangers on the internet giving opinions (I'm doing it myself)  but would tread really warily here as the psychiatric wards are full of people who claim deeply religious happenings or identities that are clearly manifestations of mental illness.   Nor do I think anyone should be advising that anti-psychotic drugs are 'bad'., now that is really dangerous.      . 

Anti psychotic drugs by thier nature are usually pretty strong in thier action and a bit of a blunt tool. ( science is still in its early stages with refining these ). There is usually side affects associated with them. The slowing down and loss of creativity of normally very active minds is one common problem. Often it is very vibrant, creative, intelligent, lateral thinking people who seem to be afflicted with mental illness. Weight gain can be another. These are the negatives.

The positives are that in many cases anti psychotics allow people to still live reasonably " normal" lives. Maintaining  relationships, holding down a job, stable accomodation etc.

Without medication, many of these people would be homeless, isolated from family and friends, very poor standards of personal hygeine, unwashed clothes and hair, drug or alcohol dependence, low or no personel self esteem etc. Basically living in uncontrolled chaos, lurching from one crisis to the next.

I,m still not poo pooing the spiritual awakenings of people though. Just because society does not know anything about it or understand it does not mean it cant be real. There are lots of things in the self awareness, spiritual world that science has not even looked at.

Message 32 of 56
Latest reply

Hello, what ever became of your friend? To be honest, the dellusion is real. Very real and very scary. If you good this, there are so many people on this "journey" and are stuck in this trap. I have been for 2 years and while in the midst, it feels so atromg that there is no other way but to believe it is real. I beleieve whe belives it was real, not sure where that makes her psychotic or not, only becauae then I have to admit that I may be psychotic too.
Message 33 of 56
Latest reply

What ever became of your friend. What she has experienced is a very real phenomenon although I dont knpwnif those who experience this are spiritually awakening or in the process of psychosis. I am one of them and dont know that I am quite ready to admit to psychosis. It is the most painful thing I have ever experienced, what your friend expeieced is real, even if twin flames are not.
Message 34 of 56
Latest reply

@marnola-89 wrote:
What ever became of your friend. What she has experienced is a very real phenomenon although I dont knpwnif those who experience this are spiritually awakening or in the process of psychosis. I am one of them and dont know that I am quite ready to admit to psychosis. It is the most painful thing I have ever experienced, what your friend expeieced is real, even if twin flames are not.

Unfortunately K0lectable has not visited the boards since February 2018 so is unlikely to see your message.

Here's another thought though. What if two people who have the same psychiatric condition come together. ( there would be an instant attraction ) Could this explain the twin flame state noted.

Imagine if the two have Borderline Personality disorder ( which affects 1 - 2 % of the population ). Borderline people are unable to regulate emotion and so feel love , hate, rejection and acceptance much more keenly than " normal " people. They also have much stronger sexual urges and can have an " altered " sense of reality ( psychosis ) at times. This can be just a slight tweak on reality ranging to full blown " off with the fairies"  stuff. Borderlines can also be very impulsive in their actions. Something not understood by society. The condition also often affects highly intelligent, creative types who are a bit " different " to start with..

Many of the " symptoms " noted in this thread would be explained by this phenomenon. The instant deeper understanding, not possible with those unaffected by the condition, the understanding and connection, not possible with those not experiencing the condition, the amazing physical intimacy not felt or understood by others and on the flip side, the incredible, deeply felt betrayal when things go wrong. All of these emotions would be amplified to ten times the level experienced by " normal " people.

Certainly an explosive mix that could be the best thing that ever happened and your worst nightmare all rolled into one.

Message 35 of 56
Latest reply

All sorts of meds can induce psychosis.

Message 36 of 56
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Re your comments on Borderline Personality Disorder; "They also have much stronger sexual urges and can have an " altered " sense of reality ( psychosis ) at times". 

I am not aware of this and I have never heard or read anything like this. Certainly some people with the condition engage in reckless sex and prefer a number of partners. To them it is safer. And it is thought to be linked to emotional emptiness, fear of commitment and fear of abandonment. In fact they are prone to sexual dysfunctions. But "much stronger sexual urges"? Are you able to elaborate?

Message 37 of 56
Latest reply

"twin flames" sounds  good.

I've always yearned for a twin flame, but never found just quite the right one.

Meds would help, i suppose...

...but that's not the path I'd choose...

Message 38 of 56
Latest reply

I,m not much good with cut and pasting links but if you google " hypersexuality", wickipedia notes people with BPD often exhibit symptoms of hypersexuality. It is also very easy to find scholary articles on the relationship between BPD and sex addiction, hypersexuality, impulsive sexual behaviors, sexual experimentation beyond " normal boundaries " etc and BPD. I found a number in only 5 minutes of searches.

While it is probably a mistake to generalise symptoms that all BPD sufferers are going to experience identical symptoms as in this quote "They also have much stronger sexual urges " the prevalence of hypersexuality among many BPD sufferers is established as a regular and normal occurance. 

When two BPD sufferers with hypersexual behaviours partner up the result could well explain the " twin flames "  experience. This would not just relate to sexual intimacy but also a shared understanding that sufferers often don't find in those not affected by the condition and the intense need for each other along with intense fear of rejection both would feel, hightening the experience for the couple. Add in a lack of normal emotional regulation and you get the picture..

I will try to post some relevant links later this evening.

Message 39 of 56
Latest reply

I am aware of some literature on the impulsive and reckless sexual behaviour of some people with BPD. But most of the information relates this behaviour to their emotions, not because they have "much stronger sexual urges". 

Message 40 of 56
Latest reply