Spiritual Awakening Twin Flames and Psychosis

Hi all.  Someone very close to me has recently been admitted to a Psych ward.  This person claims to have had a massive spiritual awakening  (that has turned very dark) and believies that they are on a journey with their twin flame (like a soulmate but more intense) to spread love and light to heal the human race...  They are currently being given anti-psychotic meds.  

Does anyone know much about spiritual awakenings, twin flame concepts or soul emergencies? Any and all opinions, advice, reccommended reading etc welcome 🙂

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

I had never heard of it....but here's a link

http://www.soulevolution.org/twinflames/twinflames.htm

Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

How old is the person involved ?   Most people who are developing schizophrenia or similar conditions tend to have their first "event"  in their late teens or early twenties. There are other mental health conditions besides schizophrenia that can result in delusions / visions etc. with many of these showing up at a younger age, or when a person has experienced a traumatic or highly stressful event. 

Admissions to psychiatric hospitals can be very traumatic for family and friends, but patients can gain control over their conditions with time and professional help. Unfortunately it is not an easy road and often takes years of ongoing support.  If your friend has gained admission to a psychiatric ward, they have overcome the first major hurdle, of having the medical profession recognise their condition.

The anti psychotic drugs do have major side effects for many patients. These commonly include weight gain in some, a dulling down of emotions and people losing some of their creativity and quick thought processes. They just generally slow right down. While these side effects are very concerning for the individual and their family, the drugs can be essential to them managing their conditions.

Message 3 of 56
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

I had never heard of it....but here's a link

http://www.soulevolution.org/twinflames/twinflames.htm

Thanks for the link (I'vew actually read it before) but I appreciate you sharing 🙂 And neither had I until I heard this person talking about how she had started noticing someone (local) and the connection was just so intense that she started  referring to him as her twin flame.  She split with her hubby (with the hope something would happen between them, he had left his wife at the time, but now he's back with his wife and she is in a psych ward) It's not just the twim flame stuff  (because as far as I know she's never actually been with her so called twin but they had spent alot of time early last year in what I can only describe as "facebook relationship" where they were sending pics of each other, talking all the time, declaring their love for each other etc.  He though, I'm pretty sure has no idea about how much this twin flame/darkened sprititual awakening stuff is affecting her )  

She's been physically ill for some time now with different ailments, a really bad cough she couldn't kick, really low iron levels that required an iron infusion last year, a possible candida infection, really bad back pain. And she had been keeping all this stuff secret from her hubby for well over twelve months (who amazingly even though they have split he is still by her side, and obviously aware of all the twin flame stuff now...)

I just thought there might be someone reading that has had some experience with this type of thing because honestly for all the love and light stuff she preaches, since this has happened she has left a trail of destruction behind her and is now  in hospital... 

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

How old is the person involved ?   Most people who are developing schizophrenia or similar conditions tend to have their first "event"  in their late teens or early twenties. There are other mental health conditions besides schizophrenia that can result in delusions / visions etc. with many of these showing up at a younger age, or when a person has experienced a traumatic or highly stressful event. 

Admissions to psychiatric hospitals can be very traumatic for family and friends, but patients can gain control over their conditions with time and professional help. Unfortunately it is not an easy road and often takes years of ongoing support.  If your friend has gained admission to a psychiatric ward, they have overcome the first major hurdle, of having the medical profession recognise their condition.

The anti psychotic drugs do have major side effects for many patients. These commonly include weight gain in some, a dulling down of emotions and people losing some of their creativity and quick thought processes. They just generally slow right down. While these side effects are very concerning for the individual and their family, the drugs can be essential to them managing their conditions.

Hi Chameleon, she is 40 years old.  And has never, ever shown any signs of schizophrenia, or psychosis or anything like that.  Thanks so much for your comments, I appreciate it atm.  The "slowing down" is what I noticed speaking to her on the phone last night, it just doesn't sound like her... She is always so communicative, expressive, opinionated, knowledgeable, environmentally conscious, health conscious.  There were awkward silences that we have never experienced before, like she was vagueing out or something.  Honesly I am just so worried about the possiblilty that this actually isn't psychosis, and that because she has opened her self up to such heavy spiritual and esoteric beliefs that she has somehow stumbled accross the "darkness" these ideoligies can sometimes manifest over time, and going at it virtually alone she is involved in something that she doen't have the spiritual strength to control...

Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

Its a tricky one isn't it ? I don't have any experience with deep seated beliefs in the spiritual world, but do respect that many people have a very deep connection with their spirituality. In most cases I would expect that this would be a separate issue to psychosis and may not be helped by anti - psychotic medication.

Your friend may be on quite high doses of medication at the moment which would exacerbate her slow thought process and awkward silences, but these medications tend to have these effects to a certain degree in many patients even at low doses.

It is incredibly sad to see vibrant, energetic, creative people, dulled down to barely functioning individuals, but the alternative can be much more frightening. Unfortunately if your friend is experiencing genuine mental health problems as opposed to a " spiritual awakening " there may not be any easy, quick answers. It can be a very long and difficult road to getting their lives back to some sense of normality. With a lot of professional help, many people learn to manage their conditions and go on to live positive, worthwhile lives.

I should add that I don't have any medical training in this area and my comments are simply those of one who has already had similar experiences to you and spoken to many others in similar situations. Our family has had a number of years of very close contact with professionals in the mental health field and confronted a range of experiences in the way patients are managed.

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

It's scary to think your friend may just be having a spiritual experience that's not part of the main stream which is being labelled a mental disorder.

Isn't this what happened in the dark ages when someone had ideas that didn't fit in with the main stream ?

Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Its a tricky one isn't it ? I don't have any experience with deep seated beliefs in the spiritual world, but do respect that many people have a very deep connection with their spirituality. In most cases I would expect that this would be a separate issue to psychosis and may not be helped by anti - psychotic medication.

Yes it most definately is.  And that is what concerns me is that gradually over time this spritiual awakening she has experienced has just gotten more and more intense.  And it's not just psychological experience, its physical as well.  

It is incredibly sad to see vibrant, energetic, creative people, dulled down to barely functioning individuals, but the alternative can be much more frightening. Unfortunately if your friend is experiencing genuine mental health problems as opposed to a " spiritual awakening " there may not be any easy, quick answers. It can be a very long and difficult road to getting their lives back to some sense of normality. With a lot of professional help, many people learn to manage their conditions and go on to live positive, worthwhile lives.

Sure I totally believe that also .

I should add that I don't have any medical training in this area and my comments are simply those of one who has already had similar experiences to you and spoken to many others in similar situations. Our family has had a number of years of very close contact with professionals in the mental health field and confronted a range of experiences in the way patients are managed.

Hey thats okay, I appreciate your input. Your advice has been very helpful none the less. 🙂

Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

@creative*crisis wrote:

It's scary to think your friend may just be having a spiritual experience that's not part of the main stream which is being labelled a mental disorder.

Isn't this what happened in the dark ages when someone had ideas that didn't fit in with the main stream ?

Hence my concern here Creative crisis.  And the fact that she really has never shown any signs of mental illness in the past. She's just always been so rational in her communication although somewhat "alternative" in her mindset.  ie; strict vegetarian, animal liberationist, tree hugger type, mainstream medicine skeptic etc.  I am worried that she has opened herself up to something that she isn't spititually prepared to deal with...

Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

Message 10 of 56
Latest reply