What does Good Friday mean to you?

?

Message 1 of 83
Latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

lis351
Community Member

A day off work. Usually. I have worked previous Good Fridays. Not this year though. yaayyy me. LOL.

Message 2 of 83
Latest reply

Only means the shops are closed and I can't do my food shopping today.

Message 3 of 83
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

It always makes me think of my niece when she was a little girl in preschool.

She came home from school and told her mum that they had learnt all about Easter and why we have Good Friday.  It is because it was the day that Jesus was nailed to a hot cross bun.

Joono
Message 4 of 83
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

She came home from school and told her mum that they had learnt all about Easter and why we have Good Friday.  It is because it was the day that Jesus was nailed to a hot cross bun.

LOL, but just for the record. According to historians, Jesus was nailed to a stake and not a cross. THe cross only came about centuries after Jesus' time. I never understood why people protrayed Jesus on a cross or a cruxifix?

Message 5 of 83
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

it means jesus died for my sins. so now I get to sin whenever I want. lol.

Message 6 of 83
Latest reply

@**bob_bless_you** wrote:

@j*oono wrote:

LOL, but just for the record. According to historians, Jesus was nailed to a stake and not a cross. THe cross only came about centuries after Jesus' time. I never understood why people protrayed Jesus on a cross or a cruxifix?

The cross was an old pagan way of punishing wrongdoers. As with many pre-christian customes it became incorporated into Christianity. Who would unravel it all now?

Message 7 of 83
Latest reply

Woman LOL

I am Catholic so for me it's a Religious day, commemorating the crucifiction of Jesus. It's also a fasting day, so 3 small meals and no meat and it's the day we are supposed to eat hot cross buns..................... but Brumby's ruined that by making them so early! .

Message 8 of 83
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think that's the FIRST time you and I agree there Bob.

Where do Easter Bunnies and Eggs fit into a Christian's life? After all they were originally fertility symbols in the 'old religions'.

Message 9 of 83
Latest reply

@rabbitearbandicoot wrote:

@j*oono wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think that's the FIRST time you and I agree there Bob.

Where do Easter Bunnies and Eggs fit into a Christian's life? After all they were originally fertility symbols in the 'old religions'.

"Where do Easter Bunnies and Eggs fit into a Christian's life? After all they were originally fertility symbols in the 'old religions'."

They don't fit in at all, indeed they were suppressed by the early Chirstians, but the old traditions held on and now they're being revived in a warped way by retailers making lots of money off the current generation.

Message 10 of 83
Latest reply