When you get menopause

do your feet get hot too? or just your face?

Feet are so cold today that I reckon hot flashes in my feet sounds like a good thing.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: When you get menopause

About 50??

Depends  with me it was mid 40s.... had a friend start at around 39!

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

oh and crikey, don't ya love how it is all about the physical, hot and cold and no mention of the emotional?  oooh, my tootsie be cold, I sweat sometimes, but otherwise, all is normal, yeah right.

LOL

If anyone believes that the whole process of menstruation and menopause doesn't affect us females emotionally too, well, oh please do go on, I'll enjoy it.

I expect more of the oh didn't affect me stuff, pull the other one.

I notice men don't say a word, smart I'd say.  I'd also say, they know exactly what I'm talking about.

"If it is once again one against forty-eight, then I am very sorry for the forty-eight." ~ Margaret Thatcher

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson
Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

It's an individual thing. Some have symptoms some don't.
Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

crikey,i was periomenopausal from age 32 to age 45,that's when the worst of the moody stuff hit. in our field,i REALLY had to watch my step,and remember that it was my body and brain reacting,not what a person was really saying that set me off.

i hit premenopause(officially) at 45,and the moody stuff stopped,but the hot flashes kicked in bad! unlike you,i've always had 'hot" hands and feet,but when my face and chest got hot,it drove me crazy,lol!  the worst thing for me was the cold flashes,my upper arms were FREEZING ,and my knees,about every 6 hours,i really hated that. 

in answer to your question,i had a full hysterectomy at age 49. and i still got hot flashes for about a year afterwards,and occasionally do now too,but it's pretty rare. i'll be 53 in the fall,and it this point,my poor hubby gets the hot flashes instead of me,lol!

i took a supplement made from black cohosh and valerian root during most of the time before my surgery,and it helped a great deal.

BUT. i should tell you that my MIL who took the hormones after a hysterectomy at age 28,she dealt with the moodies and the hot flashes anytime she stopped taking them. she had to stop taking the during her chemo before she died at 82,and it made her miserable,as much as the pain did. 

she told me not to take the prescribed hormones,and i truly believe she was right. like others have said here,try to do it in a natural way,if you can. and don't kill your dear OH! 😄

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

@steppefjordwyfe10 wrote:

Now, this is interesting.

I tried a couple of times to speak honestly about how we females can be at certain times, over-emtional, over-sensitive, hostile.  Nary a word in response, crickets, lol.  Women seem to pat themselves on the back when criticizing males but oh my how timid they get and mute they get when they are asked to look at themselves, ourselves.  So true, and please do women challenge me on this, I can just imagine.

I thought it would be a fascinating topic if women would speak honestly about it, pms, dare I say that?

Now menopause isn't what I was referring to in the above, but yes I've gone throught it and didn't go to doctors.  I figured if all of my grandmothers lived through it, it is a natural progression, no help needed, thank you very much.

We expect men to check their sexual feelings, keep them in check, check their anger, but somehow many women believe that we shouldn't check our over-emotional reactions etc., etc., etc.,

Oh and another thing, I won't presume to tell people in another country what they should do about their politics.  I am amazed at the audacity of foreigners that do that in America, the worst are Canadians but I have to tell ya, you've got a couple and I know you know who they are.  Unbelievable, and of course they are all liberals.  How uncouth.

Frankly I think it's uncouth to bring politics into a thread dealing with a topic of this kind.

Perhaps if America didn't think itself so righteous as to invade other countries and/or meddle in their politics they might not be so scrutinised and criticised.

Feel free if you do wish to comment on Australian politics, however, with all due respect, I think it would be "couth" to do so on the several political threads here, or welcome to start one of your own.

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

icy,i'm happy that you know  I'M not like that!:) i respect this board and most of it's posters,and i'm happy that i met some really nice people like you here! 

Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

I listened to my dear Mother's strong advice too - she had tried the artificial hormonal therapy stuff herself and it worked a treat for 6 weeks but then 'nothing' she said was a waste of time and money she was a Regstd Nurse for years ......my Mum said there were too many side effects. I agree after having done my own research recently. I take vitamins including Primrose oil capsules, fish oil capsules and eat 3 (double layered tins) of sardines in olive oil a week for the omega's and Vitamin E -either on toast or with a light salad or on a bed of lettuce with a baked potato....*yummo. Having more soy products in one's diet is supposed to help too. Tofu is okay in stir fries with veg but you would have to starve me before I would take soy milk *bleeuwW-AhH!

I have various shirts/tops and footwear and socks distributed around the house on back of a chair here and under a stool there! The hot flushes when they hit are pretty fast and intense! Like the speed of water jets from a firemans hose I reckon. I strip off that woolly shirt down to a t-shirt or cami so fast when a flush hits that I could shame a professional stripper LOL! Once I cool down I just take a brisk stroll though a few rooms and find the required weight clothing a footwear to re-don. The most annoying thing is as someone else has already mentioned here, when parts of you get intensely hot and clammy while other parts icy cold but still clammy! If I get like this and am irritable from this physical stuff I just go take a lovely hot shower in winter and a tepid shower in summer, before I take it out on those around meSmiley Happy and think joyful thoughts whilst showering.

We are all different and our experiences will be different. Research is being conducted all the time but hey! No graph and no focus study is going to stop the menopause from happening.It's okay in fact even though a few of these symptoms drive me nuts at times I see it as a blessing compared to all those years of having PMS and period cramps and having to stock up on napkins.

......now which chair did I leave my thick flannelette shirt hanging on...?  

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

i don't know if you can get them in oz,but my friend brooke recently discovered these cooling towelettes,and they ROCK! they aren't chaep though,so i usually keep a ziplock bag or 10 of chopped ice in my freezer .:)

Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

@sineaterdoodah wrote:

icy,i'm happy that you know  I'M not like that!:) i respect this board and most of it's posters,and i'm happy that i met some really nice people like you here! 

Thank you sin 🙂

As you can see there's plenty of aussies bashing aussie politics on this forum, so it's open slather for any visitors to join in, I have no problem with that.

I'd like to see politics stay out of friendly threads, though.

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply