21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

Having lodged a complaint against Pay Pal and Ebay in regards to illegally freezing funds and also referring the matter to the privacy commisioner.  The Financial Services Ombudsman also wants to hear about accounts where funds have been placed under the 21 day hold. Their office is anticipating an across board deluge of complaints and they wish to be advised of individual cases as believe this is a breach of law.

Message 1 of 524
Latest reply
523 REPLIES 523

Re: 21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

@hmmar-spier wrote:

All sellers on Ebay in a sense do not own their own stock any more. Ebay and PayPal have usurped the sellers rights to gain a financial exchange for their goods in holding paid funds through paypal for 21 days and further allowing a buyer 180 days to lodge a dispute against the seller. As a buyer I always knew the day I opened a packaged if it was INAD. In a sense sellers are only selling the buyer the right to try the goods for 180 days and yet Ebay require their fees almost immediately and PayPal take their cut the moment a payment is received into the sellers account. Sellers goods are being held in escrow as are their legally "entitled to funds". In many instances sellers are totally losing their goods even after PayPal have refunded the dishonest buyers or receiving back the item in a well used condition or even broken condition. The goods are ours they belong to us and we have the right to receive payment in the form we stipulate before we send the goods to the buyer. Yes their will be bad sellers but they are far outweighed by some nefarious practices from some buyers. Only reporting to the FSO en masse will bring this to the authorites attention and then maybe someone in our government will sit up and take notice as well.

Well said up3333.png

Message 151 of 524
Latest reply

Bump, thump, hump

Message 152 of 524
Latest reply

Don't forget also that under the SOGA eBay have asolutely no say or control over how a private seller (no ABN) handles a transaction regarding a 2nd hand item and if they try to intimate otherwise, official complaints to the ACCC and Fair Trading will soon set the ba$tards straight.
Message 153 of 524
Latest reply

Bum---------------p

Message 154 of 524
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
Don't forget also that under the SOGA eBay have asolutely no say or control over how a private seller (no ABN) handles a transaction regarding a 2nd hand item and if they try to intimate otherwise, official complaints to the ACCC and Fair Trading will soon set the ba$tards straight.

You tend to come up with these little gems CQ ................well done...............

But unfortunately will that stop eBay's harassment of the small/medium sellers on this site through their defect/"new spring sellers improvements" system ?

I very much doubt that there is a level playing field when they (the small sellers) are compared with the "protected" sellers that will continuously put scam listings on this site, or the big sellers that are very obviously only on eBay to put money in their pockets at the expense of inexperienced buyers that don't know how to protect themselves.

How many times have scammers been reported (be they buyers or sellers) and eBay puts those reports in the "too hard basket" - all the time unfortunately, yet they close a thread down (highjack hunters) for exposing those mongrels.

One look at our "favorite" machinery sellers will show that T&S is a complete misnomer, there is very little "trust and safety" here on eBay when it takes years before even one of them (dreamrider) gets NARU'd for their actions...............

Oh yes, eBay has it's MBG for buyers - how good is that when a buyer can't get resolution with that avenue, then finds they can't open a Paypal dispute because it's either one or the other..................

As I've said before on the boards I'm a buyer only and was going to start selling here, that is not going to happen now with the total uncertainty of seller protection, and as a result my buying here has dropped from many items a week to one or two - most of those being from my regular sellers.

Carry on shooting your foot off eBay, you appear to be extremely good at that one and I'm sure your shareholders will be overjoyed at your directors/CEO's decisions on the future of eBay as a trading platform.

original.gif               says it all really....................                             

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 155 of 524
Latest reply

Bump me again

Message 156 of 524
Latest reply

Friendly bump.

This 21 day hold has to go. You people are doing great work.

Keep it up! Feebay will give in soon enough!
Message 157 of 524
Latest reply

Robot tongue Just taking a turn.

Message 158 of 524
Latest reply

4.30am BUMP.

Message 159 of 524
Latest reply

padi*0409 wrote:  You tend to come up with these little gems CQ ................well done...............

Not really, Padi. What eBay fails to realise is that the SOGA only applies to registered businesses, yet an extremely large proportion of eBay sellers are not registered businesses at all, and nor do they have ABNs, which essentially makes them private sellers and therefore not subject to eBay's ridiculous terms and conditions, which means that if I was to sell a 2nd hand widget which broke down or failed within a matter of days, it's tough luck for the buyer, regardless of what eBay may assert to the contrary.

Legally, I am not required to refund the buyer, nor am I required to replace the item. IOW, as far as the buyer is concerned, it is caveat emptor. Morally however, I would almost certainly refund the buyer but legally I'm not required to, and nothing that eBay says can change that fact. I can't believe that eBay's lawyers wouldn't be aware of this so all I can imagine is that they are perpetrating a massive bluff by including private sellers along with the registered businesses who are subject to eBay's terms and conditions.

Message 160 of 524
Latest reply