A few months ago I had a CD removed from my listings.

A few months ago I had a CD removed from my listings. eBay sent me a message in red font telling me That I had tried to sell a counterfeit item and that I was being barred from listing for three days. If I reoffended I wouls be barred from listing for five days. The CD Box Set I had listed was bought from a major music shop in Sydney and was sealed. I have listed the set successfully on Discogs which warns you if you try to sell an unofficial item. I am now considering listing a CD on eBay (Ray Brown & The Whispers - Rock-In-Beat Records) but am afraid eBay might consider it a counterfeit. Should I take the chance?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: A few months ago I had a CD removed from my listings.

I think you should have shown them the receipt back then to prove you had bought the CD from a major shop. Of course it is possible you didn't have it any more, but for the future you should keep all receipts - just in case.

It is up to you now if you want to take the chance to list a CD - in case they think it is not genuine and suspend you for 5 days, at least it is not permanently, but if you feel uncomfortable, wait until you have CDs for which you have a receipt to prove they are genuine.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

What makes you concerned about this particular CD.  You have plenty of others listed.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

A couple of months ago I listed a CD which I had also listed on Discogs. Discogs doesn't allow the selling if items which are not authorised and prevents the listing of such items. I listed the same CD on eBay at the same time, however shortly after I received an email telling me that the CD had been removed as it was a counterfeit and I was blocked from selling for 3 days. "Counterfeit" is defined as an exact copy of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud. My CD was not a copy of an existing CD.

My problem now is that I have a CD which contains what it describes as "two great albums on one CD". The label is Rock-In-Beat, which is not the label the sixties group recorded on. I am afraid that if I list it I will once again receive a stern message in red font, this time blocking me from selling for 5 days. Should I take the chance?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@michael_cullis wrote:

Should I take the chance?

Probably not, since either eBay or a rival seller has you in their sights.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

what makes me concerned about this particular CD is that the group in question recorded for Festival Records back in the 60s. This CD is marketed by Rockin-Beat Records in Europe (they have a website). I would take a chance and list it but if eBay rejected it and suspended my ability to list for 5 days all the items which became due for automatic relisting during that period would not be relisted.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

This happened to me a while ago, too.  I have no idea why they picked on this item, when you can type in 'unauthorised' and get results with loads of bootleg CDs with 'unauthorised' literally in the title.  They also wouldn't let me enter the name of one CD, and simply kept removing it, although it was a perfectly legitimate CD by a well known band with no offensive words in the title. Beats me. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.  I'm more annoyed with their new listing templates, where none of the fields are auto-filled regardless of what you type into the title.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

It’s possible someone reported the listing.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

E bay just sucks and they have double standards...

I had a cd they took off, because they said its a counterfeit.

Why are there 13 other same cds up and why they took mine down...

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Ask eBay?

Ask your competitors? 

Report the others?

Don't use eBay if it just sucks?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply