Addicted to Selling Manager

Hi group. I am addicted to Selling Manager. There is just a constant need to refresh to see if anyone has checked out my listings... or if there are any new watchers... or any bidders... is my title right? Oh, there's an error in the listing, better fix it... why won't anyone bid? Let's see if changing the duration will help, or maybe the price, no it's too low... but I don't want it to sell for that low... but I want it to sell... why isn't anyone even viewing the auctions? Wonder if my results are even showing up. Do the eBuyers hate me? Screw them! No... I will stick it out... and so on and so forth.

Think I'm going to do 1 day auctions at what I consider the peak day, once all of these finish. Honestly, when no one is bidding or caring about the auctions, it just seems to disheartening and it's way too addictive to keep checking back. It's amazing how some sellers do so well. I really wish I could have their success but it don't come easy.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Addicted to Selling Manager

Experienced sellers on eBay are the ones that know what will and won't be likely to "work" here on this site. We've learnt by the school of hard knocks... by copping negs and bad feedback, and from dealing with REAL customers with REAL issues.

There are hundreds of eBay rules, but lots of what makes people successful (or not) is the stuff that falls well outside those rules.

If something is on my Watch List and it gets to the last 24 hrs, I click on it, run through the listing and then decide if I want to bid. It's common sense.

What *YOU* do is totally and utterly irrelevant. Common sense is irrelevant too. By revising lsitings, you are risking that one of your buyers will be invonvenienced or upset. This increases the risk of a Negative or Bad DSR scores... and these significantly harm you as a Seller.

One thing that you'll learn soon enough is that it's a delicate balancing act to maintain your feedback, and that you should never do ANYTHING that increases your risk of annoying a buyer. Annoyed buyer = greater risk of copping bad feedback = logical outcome.

There is absolutely no use being technically correct if you've just copped 4 x low DSR scores from a few people that you annoyed, and are now restricted from trading. It truly is as simple and as ruthless as that.

Changing a description and then try to refuse a claim for Item Not As Described, or forcing a buyer into paying because you wanted them to "abide by the rules" is almost 100% guaranteed to cop you a Neg. Make sense?

All that we experienced sellers can do is warn you and other readers. But you can do whatever you like... if you get restricted, then it's not harming us in the slightest. 😉

Message 21 of 54
Latest reply

the3coopers IMO the group of  "experienced sellers" you appear to refer to is an extremely small group that are not really representative of the wider range of ebay sellers nor are they most successful ebay sellers around.

IMO I don't think that there is a REAL issue that relates to snipers opening not as described claims for description revisions that are purely made to increase traffic...

BUT ... if someone did leave feedback such as in your example comment, there are grounds for ebay to remove anyway - as sellers can not change descriptions after bids have been made -only add to them.

Message 22 of 54
Latest reply

healthwise2011
Community Member

Whoa - just jumped out of the fire and into an oven!!!  This seller needs to be chilled not slaughtered.. B-)

Message 23 of 54
Latest reply

I think thats a shame thesoulyearns ~ I have enjoyed some of your posts very much (others not so B-) much)

Message 24 of 54
Latest reply

Soul, don't take it to heart - I have been slapped, reported, shut down, shut out, shamed and walked over, I really don't give a tinkers toss, but you know something - whatever, whoever, the one thing they will ever do is beat me, I just keep coming back, coz I think I have as much right as anyone else here to have my say, to voice an opinion, be it right or wrong in who ever's eyes, I am living in a free country, and I'll be dammed if someone is going to lord it over me on a bluddy forum. BTW - you are liked 🙂

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 25 of 54
Latest reply

soul have you checked the rules re keyword spamming?

I don't know if you can say "not TAZO" in the title because this would bring up your listing if someone does a search for TAZO.

Message 26 of 54
Latest reply

Careful, bump. :^O

However you are absolutely correct. The EBAY RULES say that you definitely cannot use terms like "not TAZO or POG"

Comparisons: Sellers are not permitted to make comparisons between items in a listing title.

Example not allowed:

The titles "Leather Handbag, like Chanel","Leather Handbag, Chanel style", or "Leather handbag, not Chanel" are not permitted on eBay because they make comparisons between the item being offered, a leather handbag, to a Chanel handbag.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/keyword-spam.html

Learning, teaching or bullying? :^O

Message 27 of 54
Latest reply

it's a little time and thought consuming trying to decide if anything could be made more accurate.

And you should spend that time before you list, not doing revisions later that will have your items out of searches even if it is only for a few minutes plus you risk having non paying bidders. If somebody views the original listing and then sets a snipe and then finds anything has changed after they have won it you are likely to get a neg and a report for seller non performance.

before weighing in on this thread I have scoured the Help pages, Policy pages and any other pages so I could see if eBay would uphold a report on a seller for non-performance because a bidder utilises a third-party site to place a snipe bid on a listing that the seller has revised to make it more accurate. 

According to the policies that I agreed to when I signed up (and subsequent policy updates), "Reporting Inappropriate Trading Behaviour" found at http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/report-trading.html requires the member who is reporting to "Make sure that your complaint relates to a subject that eBay investigates by reviewing the offences explained on this page" and when clicking on the "Seller non-performance" link that appears further down on that page you are taken to a page that states "When a buyer wins an item on eBay, the seller and buyer have entered a contract that both members are expected to honour".

So, if a member uses a snipe service to place a final seconds bid, then surely the contract applies to the listing at the time the winning bid is placed.  I would think that it is the responsibility of the bidder to check that listing closer to the end of the listing.  Surely eBay would not consider a complaint for seller non-performance based on the fact that the listing changed between the time a snipe was set with a thrid party site and the end of the listing, especially since eBay do not operate the snipe sites!

And further to that, how could a bidder possibly have grounds for reporting a seller for non-performance if the listing description actually became more accurate between the time it was first viewed and the application of a snipe bid in the final seconds?

PJ, I have read many of your posts on too many threads to contemplate, including numerous posts where you berate posters for not being aware of the policies they signed up to when they joined eBay (or kept up to date with policy updates) , BUT I think even you would have to admit that a report for seller non-performance in the circumstances stated (i.e. description becoming more accurate) would not be upheld by eBay.

I'm not saying that a winning bidder couldn't try to report a seller, only that it would not be upheld if eBay follow its own policies.

Now, I am happy to be proved wrong if you can show me the policy that says that a seller can be reported for non-performance if they revise a listing that is later won by a member using a snipe service.

Quote of the day...

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you”

- Joseph Heller: Catch 22

Message 29 of 54
Latest reply

thesoulyearns, it will never cease to surprise me more don't jump on the board to post too ~ given the type of carp advice that is provided by posters that should know better.

Generally, the advice is pretty good. It comes from a wide range of sources and people can work out what to do based on that. It's just unfortunate that some people will keep their blindfolds on just because they don't like someone. That's when it stops being about the point and instead about the person who's making it.

Message 30 of 54
Latest reply