Addicted to Selling Manager

Hi group. I am addicted to Selling Manager. There is just a constant need to refresh to see if anyone has checked out my listings... or if there are any new watchers... or any bidders... is my title right? Oh, there's an error in the listing, better fix it... why won't anyone bid? Let's see if changing the duration will help, or maybe the price, no it's too low... but I don't want it to sell for that low... but I want it to sell... why isn't anyone even viewing the auctions? Wonder if my results are even showing up. Do the eBuyers hate me? Screw them! No... I will stick it out... and so on and so forth.

Think I'm going to do 1 day auctions at what I consider the peak day, once all of these finish. Honestly, when no one is bidding or caring about the auctions, it just seems to disheartening and it's way too addictive to keep checking back. It's amazing how some sellers do so well. I really wish I could have their success but it don't come easy.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

you do realize that every time you ''Revise'' a listing, it CAN sometimes take several hours for it to re-appear in the search engines?

revising an item over and over can cost you HOURS, even days out of view... why do it???

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

you do realize that every time you ''Revise'' a listing, it CAN sometimes take several hours for it to re-appear in the search engines?

revising an item over and over can cost you HOURS, even days out of view... why do it???

Didn't realise that. But I think they all are showing up, as I can see them when I search and some are even on the first page of Best Match. I edit them for accuracy sake mostly but sometimes just change something small once every couple of days.

Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

Hi group. I am addicted to Selling Manager. There is just a constant need to refresh to see if anyone has checked out my listings... or if there are any new watchers... or any bidders... is my title right? Oh, there's an error in the listing, better fix it... why won't anyone bid? Let's see if changing the duration will help, or maybe the price, no it's too low... but I don't want it to sell for that low... but I want it to sell... why isn't anyone even viewing the auctions? Wonder if my results are even showing up. Do the eBuyers hate me? Screw them! No... I will stick it out... and so on and so forth.

This too shall pass...

Believe it or not, eventually you will be able to relax and let your listings be. I don't think it's really possible to have a 'perfect' listing with perfect timing - at least, definitely not 100% of the time (by which I mean create a listing that A) is for an item that's currntly or always in demand and B) make it so that it appeals to everyone who's 'demanding' it. All you can do is provide the most (and relevant) information you're able to, hopefully title well and see what happens, minimising the risks and other things that can thwart your success as you go (eg selling too low, having unappealing TOS, bad photos etc).

I've had listings that have gone a few weeks with absolutely no views, but then sold to the first person that did view it, while other listings gathering views and watchers but only a sale here and there, if at all, so views and watchers aren't paramount.

One day auctions can work, though generally for items that are in constant or high demand.

Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

This too shall pass...

Believe it or not, eventually you will be able to relax and let your listings be. I don't think it's really possible to have a 'perfect' listing with perfect timing - at least, definitely not 100% of the time (by which I mean create a listing that A) is for an item that's currntly or always in demand and B) make it so that it appeals to everyone who's 'demanding' it. All you can do is provide the most (and relevant) information you're able to, hopefully title well and see what happens, minimising the risks and other things that can thwart your success as you go (eg selling too low, having unappealing TOS, bad photos etc).

I've had listings that have gone a few weeks with absolutely no views, but then sold to the first person that did view it, while other listings gathering views and watchers but only a sale here and there, if at all, so views and watchers aren't paramount.

One day auctions can work, though generally for items that are in constant or high demand.

It may not be possible to have a perfect listing but it's a little time and thought consuming trying to decide if anything could be made more accurate. The main thing I want besides selling the item is for the buyer to know exactly what they get so there's no disputes. Sometimes it's easier than others. But that's not really why it's so addictive... not sure why. It's just doing my head in today as far as having too much time to sit at the PC and refresh. Need to step away from here a bit perhaps and reassess things. Just mentally disconnect from here a bit. For people with addictive natures, as I do, such a large place like eBay is a virtual playground to let loose with either buying or selling. Been buying too much stuff here too, not that eBay's complaining... 😉

Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

it's a little time and thought consuming trying to decide if anything could be made more accurate.

And you should spend that time before you list, not doing revisions later that will have your items out of searches even if it is only for a few minutes plus you risk having non paying bidders. If somebody views the original listing and then sets a snipe and then finds anything has changed after they have won it you are likely to get a neg and a report for seller non performance.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

it's a little time and thought consuming trying to decide if anything could be made more accurate.

And you should spend that time before you list, not doing revisions later that will have your items out of searches even if it is only for a few minutes plus you risk having non paying bidders. If somebody views the original listing and then sets a snipe and then finds anything has changed after they have won it you are likely to get a neg and a report for seller non performance.

Surely you'd be fully aware that a report or a neg would be completely unjustified for someone using a sniping program to bid on an item for them, without looking back at the listing themselves. The seller is perfectly fine in that regard, aslong as the edits are made within the rules. Even as a relative newbie seller, that fact is blatantly obvious.

Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

I agree with PJ - make sure you get them right before listing then leave them alone.  Check them if you wish but stop messing around with them.

Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

Have to agree with DH. I've had listings where an item hasn't sold and I've had not much interest then have relisted it the following week at the same price and have had lots of interest and had the item sell.  So I think it can vary from week to week, depending on what's going on ie whilst Olympics were on/school holidays etc

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

Thanks guys. eBay can be a fun place. I've just gotten too involed with the selling side of it. I'm going to take a step back and try to approach it a bit more casually.

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply