Automatic Case Closure - Ongoing Account Issue

Hi eBay Community and Help Desk,

I have been selling on eBay for 5 years+, I have had an ongoing issue with my account where return cases are automatically closed against me within minutes by the system. This then marks an automatic defect against my account. I have no problems with solving returns, however I'm often not given the chance to do so, as the system automatically closes the cases.

The following is not regarding a specific case, this is regarding ongoing automatic case closure system errors for my account. I couldn't find any helpful examples or other people that have had this issue.

After having the automatic defects removed, I have contacted agents over the years to review my account itself and have been given variations of the explanation that my account has a 'suspension' against it .

This was the most recent explanation from an agent 'Dipayan' received today
  "I have checked the details and can see that your account got suspended due to which the refund claim got closed automatically with a refund as you were not covered for any transactions." 

Despite all of this,  I've sold 19k items and I cannot recall a time where my account was suspended and/or my selling has been stopped, so I'm confused as to what is happening. I have 100% feedback, a very very low return rate (0.46% 12 of 2,587 transactions) with 7500+ active listings. Usually I'm told I'll be contacted again regarding my account within 48-72 hours with a resolution, but I never am. 

My concern is that as I scale larger, multiple automatic closures may stack up and my account itself could encounter more issues as I'm not given the chance to resolve the cases manually.

Could I please ask if someone from the eBay team can check the back end of my account and resolve this? I've run out of options as I'm constantly transferred to another agent and then told I'll hear back within 48-72hours, but am yet to hear back about this specific issue. I would like to be able to solve my returns manually. I'm on eBay Australia.

Thank you

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You might be better off contacting eBay again and politely insisting with speaking to a supervisor 

Someone from eBay may or may not read your post (it's a member to member forum and it seems very random as to who gets contacting by eBay and who does'nt)

The 48-72 hours thing is just a stock standard copy and paste reply from a pre-written script that the majority of people will get from base level cs

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Is it possible that at some time in the past you set up automated returns?? https://www.ebay.com.au/rtn/Return/AdvancedRule

although I can't see how that would result in defects on your account.

I hope you can get it sorted although eBay chat don't seem to be able to handle anything non standard that they don't have a script for!

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

From eBay help pages:

If you have enabled the option to add an RMA (return authorisation number), we won't accept returns automatically on your behalf.

Add rma here, down the bottom of the page https://www.ebay.com.au/rtn/Return/SellerRules.

Might provide a "work around"???

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

It seems you offer  free 30 day returns, for all 7600 listings,  so any request for return within 30 days of delivery

will be automatically accepted, as the buyer does not need any reason for the return request.

While it will be logged as a return, I don't think it actually contributes to the defect %

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Hi!

Yes I have tried many times and have had no luck, hopefully a member of the team can see this post and get in touch directly. Am familiar with the standard copy paste reply.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Hi Cam!

Yes I'm familiar with the advanced return rules and use them as part of my business procedures.

The issue is not the returns aspect, it is more so pertaining to the automatic case closure by the system. It seems that the returns cases are being accepted, then closed automatically and transaction defects are being marked against my account without offering me a chance to review the case (or original transaction) in the first place.

I have had no issues with returns themselves or the customers, its purely the system/an account issue which I haven't been able to find a solution for, and as mentioned above, whenever I do get transferred to the appropriate team I'm told they'll have a solution for me in 48-72 hours and I never hear back.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Hi!

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! Yes I'm familiar with returns and offer 60 day returns on some of the listings also.

The automatic accepting of returns is not an issue, it's the automatic case following the return which opens and then automatically closes with a transaction defect for 'Cases closed without seller resolution'.  (the automatic closure of the case following the return, not the return itself). 

I then have to contact customer service agents for them to say, 'we've removed the defect' when I haven't been given the option to review the case to begin with. In other words, I'm trying to provide the seller resolution manually but the system is closing the cases automatically.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Hi Cam!

Thank you for this, this is potentially a good temporary solve but I'm not sure if it will fix the underlying issue.

If my account has a block or 'suspension' on it in the back end, manually solving the returns themselves won't change the 'automatic case closures' that are happening. 

Adding the RMA means manually approving returns, whereas I'm trying to address the automatic case closure and the transaction defect for 'case closed without seller resolution' issue.

Right now the system is closing the cases automatically and marking transaction defects without allowing me anytime to review the cases to begin with.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Strange,  I would assume an auto return in accordance with your terms, would count as  resolved by seller.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply