Bad Buyers increasing by the day - what is going on?

Has anybody else noticed a sharp increase in bad buyers?

Lately I've had increased large numbers of buyers a) not paying for items, or b) just not bothering to contact me after they have purchased an item...or c) just mucking me around, stringing me out and then not following through with purchase?

What is going on?

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Bad Buyers increasing by the day - what is going on?

My biggest problem is buyers purchasing an item then wanting to cancel it, because they have not read the item description properly and then they email to say they don't want it, you then send a request to cancel the transaction and they never bother to respond, so the case stays open for I think 7 days before you can relist or get your FVF refunded, I HATE THIS and i'm pretty sure that once you send a request to cancel the transaction you can't then send an unpaid item reminder to get them to pay.. this stinks anyone have a solution to this?

Message 31 of 51
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

It was mentioned on another thread that the going rate of returns on ebay USA for second-hand clothing is 28%... omg...... OMG!!!

Comforting to know I have made the right decision when I ended all my listings at the end of last month.

BTW, which thread was this mentioned in? I would like to know on what grounds the clothing was returned. I'm guessing because the idiot buyers didn't read the decxription.

Message 32 of 51
Latest reply

It was mentioned on this thread:

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/To-measure-or-not-to-measure/m-p/1590399/highlight/true#M791...

Narelle has been doing alot of reading on the US boards - I haven't had the heart or the energy.  She was quoting another post from there I think.

Message 33 of 51
Latest reply

The solution is not to cancel a transaction for that reason.It was their request to cancel & you are at their mercy to reply to the cancel request.If they don't I'm pretty sure that you cannot then do a NPB.

Another thing is that a cancelled transaction leaves the bidder to leave fb & DSR on an item they have not received.Do you trust a person who bids or clicks a BIN & changes mind to rate you on a sale with & perhaps trash your stars? I don't.I always NPB & let them get the strike they deserve.

Message 34 of 51
Latest reply

Thanks BP. I remember reading that thread, but don't recall reading that statistic so must go and have another read.
Message 35 of 51
Latest reply

*waves to poppy* yes was probably me.i read that on U.S though i don't know where the data was from or how accurate it is.

I read U.S to see how the whole new system will affect us & I must say it is depressing.

I was looking for solutons for a seller to protect themselves from theft,fraud,low DSR.

Others can look & judge for themselves,i don't want to deter or scare anyone.I prefer to point out the dangers.Most posts will be of those who have negative experiences.

My own opinion based on what I've read is that i see no protection & having to fight tooth & nail for common sense & what is right.

Message 36 of 51
Latest reply

Hey Narelle!

Yes, your posts about the US boards have been SO useful.  I should have thanked you earlier for all you effort!

🙂

Message 37 of 51
Latest reply

I don't like guessing & supposing & hoping for the best.So much easier to find out the results for an idea of what's to come next.I don't mind doing it,keeps me busy & i like a lot of their regular posters.No i don't chat to & annoy them,i merely read & kudo.

I only wish i had better news or found something to help,a way for a seller to protect their account or items.

So far i have not.The cases are decided by bots & for the buyer.To have the chance to make things right,is for the seller to spend many,many hours to fight for themselves.It's insane & i don't want to play.

Message 38 of 51
Latest reply

Ok Narelle

Great advice again..

If a buyer accidentally purchases an item and then requests to cancel the transaction, I'm best to not agree to do this because in your experience ( and i have to say mine) they don't bother to respond because they couldn't care less and we're at their mercy to respond, so better for us to issue unpaid item reminder after 4 days, wait another 4 days for ebay to issue them with an unpaid item strike and let that be that...

Sounds like a solution as in my experience, buyers never finalise the cancellation they request, they couldn't be bothered then you are left hanging there with buyer never getting any penalty for careless purchasing..

Message 39 of 51
Latest reply

I have had heaps of people commit to buy and not pay. I have my settings now that they have 4 days to pay and e bay automatically opens a case against them. Its intersting that of all of the buyers that have done this I had maybe 2-3 actually respond. I don't think they care if they get a strike against them.

I don't understand how this money back gaurentee thing it suppose to work. I make all of my items so I'm a sitting duck for these buyers who are out to get freebees. I had a buyer contact me today and tell me that they didn't like the item that they purchased. It looked exactly like my listing so unless something happened to it in transit it was exactly as it was listed as I don't let anything that looks average go out my door.. If this person has read my feedback from other buyers noone has ever complained about something notbeing as listed. I have heaps of very very happy cutomers. What are we suppose to do with these people who are just out for freebees. I'm not refunding this person.

Message 40 of 51
Latest reply