Bad Buyers increasing by the day - what is going on?

Has anybody else noticed a sharp increase in bad buyers?

Lately I've had increased large numbers of buyers a) not paying for items, or b) just not bothering to contact me after they have purchased an item...or c) just mucking me around, stringing me out and then not following through with purchase?

What is going on?

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are hoping that most buyers won't even know about this 180-day money back guarantee

It is on the front page of Paypay

Message 11 of 51
Latest reply

I dunno, I've never had buyers 'take advantage' or 'abuse' the paypal buyer protection for the 45 days.  I don't think 180 days is going to be any different.

The ebay money-back gurantee is a whole new world of trouble, but it is only 30 days.  

I'm just wondering if people are getting these confused.

Message 12 of 51
Latest reply

@sydneyvintagebikes wrote:

What will happen with this 180 day turn around refund policy ? Buyers will for eg. buy a bike, ride it in their local triathlon, get the use out of it, then a month or two later when they are sick of it, they'll turn around and want a refund and say it wasn't quite what they were looking for, that applies to any number of products, total abuse of the system, I guarantee this new policy will totally ruin businesses....

Just know the product that you sell very well.

I ride a Specialized Tarmac sl2. Been looking for a secondhand sl3 or sl4. I can pretty much tell by looking at the bikes how much and what kind of work they have done. I'm not a professional but I know that bike. You are in the business of bikes, so should know more than me.

The 180 day thing is for PayPal. I don't think they cover people because they don't like what they bought or bought something that was wrong for them. I would make sure my descriptions were specific and detailed and make sure there are no faults. If there are, then a claim is fair It looks like you are dealing with brand new things. The only problems you should face are if there is a manufacturing fault or of you mess up an order. If it is manufacturing, you will be able to approach the manufacturer. If you sell second hand things, be honest and don't try and gloss over any faults.

I looked at a bike a few days ago. Had apparently only done 600klm. Yeah right. They forgot to write in their ad "in the last week across broken glass in the bush whilst chasing live bears during a hail storm" In short, the bike had been well used and had a hard time, and if I could tell, then a professional could tell.

Message 13 of 51
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

We are hoping that most buyers won't even know about this 180-day money back guarantee

It is on the front page of Paypay

That's because it doesn't exist, so you should be safe.

Message 14 of 51
Latest reply

There is another poor new seller who posted down in the Clothes etc section in CS who just got hit with scammer & PayPal seems to have refunded before she got the dress back.

Message 15 of 51
Latest reply

I solve this problem by requiring immediate payment. It's pointless to chase up and a waste of my time in my opinion .

Message 16 of 51
Latest reply

Yep good idea but I'm guessing you only take PayPal as payment ?
Message 17 of 51
Latest reply

If they change their it's at the seller's discretion as to whether they refund or not. If it's Not as Described or Faulty that's where you have to refund.

The refund rules are going to be a nightmare for sellers who sell preloved items. But in saying that, it wouldn't be hard for a buyer to "damage" a new item they receive because they didn't like it or it didn't fit without removing the tags.

They way I see it, Greedbay wants to get rid of small & second hand sellers who simply cannot afford to refund particularly after say 50 days let alone 180. Whereas the big companies that are now on board the refunds will hardly hurt their pockets.
Message 18 of 51
Latest reply

It's the scam buyers that will know about the 180 refund policy and use it to their advantage. The good buyers who either do or do not know about the policy wouldn't try deceiving a seller anyway.
Message 19 of 51
Latest reply

i can't find the information on this , sounds stupid 

you really are a special bunch
Message 20 of 51
Latest reply