Buyers Feedback Hidden???

Just noticed for the first time when checking on a buyers feedback, all feedback is "Hidden" with a message that the "This person has requested that their feedback be hidden"  ???

The buyer has around 95% feedback rate and I can see there is 1 neg, of course not sure why, as I cannot see the feedback!

How is this allowed??

I often check on buyers when sending low cost items without tracking and then make up my mind whether to Register the item, depending if they have feedback from Sellers eg Item not received, requested refund.

How can Ebay justify being able to hide feedback???

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Buyers Feedback Hidden???

@helenm777 wrote:
Thanks thecatspjs you get my point exactly.

I have sent items that I would normally sent as a letter rate so no tracking or signature, as Reg Post when I have seen feedback left by sellers stating on the buyers feedback "Item Not Received.. Refunded Buyer".

It does not happen a lot, but it does happen, and if a buyers feedback shows many Non receipt of Items..it is a little suspect!!

As a buyer with private feedback and a seller on other ID's I have to agree with this one. I dont search through my buyers feedbacks very often, only when things are smelly or a problem is looming. This can be at the early part of a transaction when a potential buyer asks a question that starts the allarm bells ringing.

On occasions the feedback can raise concerns and I block them BEFORE they have even made a purchase usually on BINS.

As regular forum readers would know I have private feedback on this account. In the past I have used it to buy items to resell on ebay and while I no longer buy stock, still use it to buy postal supplies for my stores. In the past it was easy for others to track peoples purchases, link buying accounts with selling accounts and interfere with opposition accounts. And yes it did happen on occasions. A lot of those features or loopholes have been closed and it is not such a worry now. Having said that it is still possible, just a bit harder than it used to be.

Having the private feedback on this account for awhile now, I have just got used to it and quite like it. It wouldnt upset me greatly to have it made public, ( no secrets here ), but the problem of being able to link accounts and track others sales still exists in some circumstances. 

When I was a full time seller I used to track my main oppositions accounts to see what items where selling, what they where buying and what sort of profit margins they worked on etc. It was useful for bench marking my activity to see if I could improve things. As a result I made a number of changes to my business model to squeeze better performance from it. But honestly, Someone shouldnt be able to have enough information to fully disect the oppositions business, including stock purchase cost, selling price, sales volumes and profit percentages. Private feedback on buying accounts helps to protect this information for the seller.

I havnt bothered to track opposition accounts for awhile. I know all of their buying and selling ID,s and coded id,s and no new serious players have entered the market recently. As I am no longer a full time ebay seller the care factor for what the opposition is doing is pretty low these days.

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Just an amusing story to share on this ....., Heck I even met one of my main opposition and his wife once. We where both at a car parts swap meet and a new swap meet seller had a ute and trailer load of stock that had been dragged out of a warehouse somewhere. The opposition had found it first and purchased around 100 items. ( everything was SOOOOOOO cheap LOL ). He had left to look at other sites when I came along. I purchased the remaining thousand or so items that where still left at the sellers full asking price. It was a substantial sum so I paid $1000 deposit with the rest payable on delivery  ( couldnt get the money out of the wallet quick enough  Smiley Wink )

A few minutes later my opposition and his wife came back to buy some more as the items where a bargain, but they where all sold. He looked fairly peeved about this....Smiley Very Happy

A few days later he had the items he had purchased, listed on ebay for 10-20 times what he paid for them and I worked out who he was.  I also went on to list mine so I,m not sure if he ever twigged about me. 

As mentioned I used to keep an eye on his purchases and sales and a few years later some fairly interesting items of a private nature appeared on his buying account. ....These indicated that his wife was not his only romantic interest. .......Smiley Surprised........Every time I think of this little story I see his weesely little face with his wife standing next to him and wonder how that all worked out.

SHOULDA USED PRIVATE FEEDBACK MATE    Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Some of my best customers have private feedback. They dont want anyone to know their business. 

I dont care as they buy and pay. Simple.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

I certainly would not Block any Buyer just because they have Private Feedback that would never be my intention.

I have howver sent the item "Without Signature" and will see how it goes.

In this case, it was the first time I had ever seen any buyer with Private Feedback, and was confused to see that this could be kept Private

It would seem there are a few out there with reasons I can now understand to keep their feedback Private

thanks all for your feedback
Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Just a follow up

Received great feedback from the buyer so all went ok
Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Another Interesting Update

I received a very strange message from the Buyer in broken English, asking me to leave Feedack, which I already had done!

Then today received a message from Ebay warning me the Item sold to this buyer who had Hidden Feedback did not have an Ebay ID.and was not a Registered Ebay User?? In other works to Cancel the sale.

I checked this Buyers ID and it now states. This Buyer is no longer a Registered User.

So think I was lucky that all went well with my sale

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply