Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

No joke, it was apparently trialled from 17th May til 26th June and is now being implemented on all ebay sales. Some will still have the old checkout until it is fully implemented.

Buyers have no option to pay later, it is apparently to stop non paying buyers. But it is affecting sales big time. I've been on ebay for over 12 years and I was totally confused when I attempted to purchase 17 items from 1 seller, seller was happy to combine postage. But when I attempted to buy the items I found I had no choice but to pay for each item individually, so I didn't buy them. So how confused will new ebay shoppers be.

At the same time I had a buyer wanting to combine items from my ebay store and was having the same issue. So I phoned ebay about it, at first the ebay rep thought we were pressing the wrong buttons and eventually she informed me that this will be how the new checkout will be for everyone. The buyer has to pay individually including postage costs, if they don't pay there is no sale. The seller can then refund the overpaid postage and then the seller has to contact ebay for a credit on the fees for the overpaid/credited postage.  

This sounds very complicated and it turned me off buying the 17 items I wanted to purchase, so how many other buyers are turning away because they don't like or don't understand the new checkout system.

Try it if you don't believe me, click on buy it now and you will see it takes you directly to the ebay checkout, there is no longer a COMMIT To BUY button, you either pay or there is no sale. It's to stop the non-paying buyers, but what about the buyers who want to buy lots of items and don't want to have to pay all those individual postage costs in the hope that the seller will refund the overpaid postage. 

Hoping ALL buyers & Sellers that aren't happy with this new system will contact ebay to voice their opinions. I think it's promoting off ebay sales, buy 1 item contact the seller or buyer and do the rest of the deal another way. Not that I'm promoting off-ebay sales, but if I thought of it I guess all others will too. 

Hoping Ebay will see some sense and revert back to the old checkout system. Maybe bring back the ability to NEG non-paying bidders to get rid of the time-wasters rather than fiddle with a system that has worked for over a decade.

No doubt there will be some that think this is a good idea, but if you actually try it as a buyer you will see how fumbled it is. On-line shopping should be as stream-lined as possible, having to pay and then wait for a refund is definitely not stream-lined.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

I just bought 3 BIN's and I got the 'commit to pay' button.

After that, I went into my purchase history (using another tab), and asked the seller for combined postage.

Not a problem.

Message 21 of 71
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

From what I have read eBay is gradually changing sellers over to the new system. It appears that if you offer PayPal only as a payment method then your listings will be changed to immediate payment required. Do you offer other payment methods?

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/7/1499567926.html

Hmm, that's disappointing - I wonder if this (cart & payment system changes) has anything to do with the sudden rash of failed purchases. 😕 

If this goes ahead, I hope it coincides with the removal of the "buy it now" button so that more people will use the cart and figure out adding multiple items is the way to go, or even just renaming the button to something that clearly shows someone will be buying / checking out a single item. And that the cart works more often. 

Message 22 of 71
Latest reply

As someone else said, I hope they plan to employ more staff for all the sellers who will call to get their fees back.

I'm just going to add another payment method to get around it, like money orders, because nobody will use those anyway (and if the odd person does, then that's okay).

I also feel like this could add to more cases of buyer's remorse (because buyers will have to pay immediately and then will change their mind). More refunds, more returns. I mean, I dislike NPBs too, but I'd rather they didn't pay at all, than pay and then demand a refund for change of mind.

Message 23 of 71
Latest reply

Maybe eBay think a lot of sellers won't be bothered to call and get a refund? Some might think, oh it's only $1, I can't be bothered calling for that. 100,000 do it and it's a nice days takings.

Message 24 of 71
Latest reply

Just had a look at alternative payment methods.

Ticking "other/see item description" should do the trick.

And then just don't refer to anything other than Paypal in the item description.

Fixed.

Message 25 of 71
Latest reply

I can completely understand how sellers would get annoyed with non-payers, but as a buyer I don't like this change.

I posted this on another similar thread but I'll repost it here:

---There are are a few sellers I've been a regular customer of for many years. In the past I was always able to just click 'Buy Now', click 'Confirm' and that would be it. It was really convenient becuase I'd usually be buying quite a few items from them every day. So after a week or so I'd build up a nice little total, they'd send me a tally (sometimes with a special postage discount) and then I'd pay. I'd buy so much stuff that a couple sellers would even give me up to a MONTH.

I enjoyed taking a few days to look though their items, I'd make note of the ones I was interested in - some I would buy straight away, others I would need some time to think about. But now I feel rushed, like I have to make snap decisions. Even if I just add them to my cart, once I hit 'Request Total' it's counted as committing to buy so I can't change my mind. Very frustrating!---

I only get paid once a fortnight. It really p***es me off that I have to wait and do all my shopping in one go. I now miss out on a lot of items because either:

A) by the time I finally have the money, someone else has purchased the item

or:

B) it's too much of a hassle so I just leave it (and often forget all about because I see another 20 items that I want)

The trouble is, I don't like buying just one item - I will often buy other items from the same seller, so this change is a pain in the... 

Message 26 of 71
Latest reply

Be careful with the other payment methods you offer. I can't remember the details now but I used to offer cheques and money orders but took them off because of how it all showed on the listing. You're pretty safe offering bank deposit because only 1 in 1000 uses it on ebay.

I also had a feeling there was something a while back about not being able to offer certain payments any more, or maybe it was something about not being allowed to put certain statements in the bit that shows when they go through checkout. I haven't changed mine but only because I haven't got around to figuring out how (yet).
Message 27 of 71
Latest reply

Ebay no longer supports Paymate, which used to be one of their Safe Payment options.

Maybe that is what you are thinking of brerrabbit?

Message 28 of 71
Latest reply

So I checked.  I've been using my buying account to press the Buy It Now button on my selling accounts.   It is all true about instant payment. How disappointing.  

On one account that I've had forever AND has a verified bank transfer option goes straight to checkout - with the option to pay by bank deposit.

I've never selected Instant Payment - actually the box is still there to select instant payment, and it's unticked.  

I've had a couple of combined orders already I've had to refund post.  It's a quick email to get FVF back but what a PITA.  

Not sure about the best way forward now.  I guess I'll have to open a store and use postage discounts. I can't see success in my category with free postage as practically no one else does it. I firmly believe people look at the item price and ignore the postage cost, so don't equate listings by total cost.  So I'd end up actually providing free post cos I'd be paying for it 😛

Message 29 of 71
Latest reply

@treasuresgalore wrote:

Not as simple as that, the new option doesn't give you the option to ask for combined postage. I experienced it today, spent ages on the phone to ebay and the NEW WAY is to pay for all the individual postages even when in cart and then seller can refund overpaid postage.

It is not completelly true. I bought 6 items 2 days ago and requested total from a seller. You can still do it, not as easy as before but it can be done. This is how you need to do it. Purchase each item using buy it now, confirm on the next page and  stop on the page where it says "commit and pay". After you finish doing it with your last item go to my ebay->Purchase history and you will see "Request total from this saller" link above all purchased items. Click it, add a message  to a seller if you want and click "Sumbit Request" button.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 30 of 71
Latest reply