Can I sell Face masks on eBay in Aus?? Is it only U.S restriction or worldwide eBay policy?

I live in Australia.

Am i allowed to list face masks and sell them on eBay in Australia?

Is it only U.S restriction or worldwide eBay policy?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Can I sell Face masks on eBay in Aus?? Is it only U.S restriction or worldwide eBay policy?

are you going to run an Auction or a Buy-Now listing?

How much above retail price are you thinking of selling them for?

The answers to these questions will let us know if you are a credible seller or a profiteer.

Credible sellers should have no problems as they are not taking advantage of supply shortages.

Auctions can get out if control leading to unrealistic prices and fake bidders pushing up the price.

Buy-now with a modest markup to cover fees and packaging  should be okay.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks for your kindly answer.

I am thinking to sell KN95 mask at $6-8USD each with some bulk discounts + shipping with Buy-Now option.

Of course, i want to profit but I don't want to be unethical so I came up with this price.

How do you think?

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

are you going to run an Auction or a Buy-Now listing?

How much above retail price are you thinking of selling them for?

The answers to these questions will let us know if you are a credible seller or a profiteer.

Credible sellers should have no problems as they are not taking advantage of supply shortages.

Auctions can get out if control leading to unrealistic prices and fake bidders pushing up the price.

Buy-now with a modest markup to cover fees and packaging  should be okay.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

In the present climate, you are bound to upset someone, no matter what price you put on them.  I have got hundreds of half mask respirators on hand, and yes I have had them long before covid-19 was a thing, I would not even waste my time trying to give them away on ebay at the moment.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@audae-g0nxem wrote:

I am thinking to sell KN95 mask at $6-8USD each with some bulk discounts + shipping with Buy-Now option.

Of course, i want to profit but I don't want to be unethical so I came up with this price.

How do you think?

I'm not familiar with a KN95 mask so I don't know what they normally sell for.

Why are you wanting to sell in US$? The A$ conversion for the pricepoint you stated is about A$10-$13.

What do I think? In the current situation you should not list for profit.  List at a price that covers your fees and shipping, but don't make a profit.

• That's just what I think.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

a quick google shows these to be dust or pollution masks, but I'm not familiar with these.

I saw a local shop selling masks for $9.95 each and I thought that was a disgusting mark up in these challenging times.

I ended up purchasing surgical masks in a lot, which worked out at $1.75 ea which are usually .50c each.  that I could live with.

I'm sure I saw something just yesterday saying they were clamping down on profiteers of certain items, that may have been marketplace, but I didn't pay much attn.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@lotsamagsnbags wrote:

a quick google shows these to be dust or pollution masks, but I'm not familiar with these.

I saw a local shop selling masks for $9.95 each and I thought that was a disgusting mark up in these challenging times.

I ended up purchasing surgical masks in a lot, which worked out at $1.75 ea which are usually .50c each.  that I could live with.

I'm sure I saw something just yesterday saying they were clamping down on profiteers of certain items, that may have been marketplace, but I didn't pay much attn.

late last year I bought a 10 pack of P2V masks from Bunnings for about $25.  My wife uses them at home when spraying roundup and I have used them when cutting concrete.  We took a 10 pack to Sydney in Jan because of fire smoke haze but didnโ€™t need to use them.  I still have them and wouldnโ€™t consider selling them as I want to keep them in case we need them.

I notice the OP didnโ€™t answer my question about what markup they are putting on the masks.  I did do some searches and found them for much less than the pricepoint they were considering.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I would be extremely cautious listing an item that is currently being consumed as protective medical equipment, especially if it's a generic, imported version.

Plus, most US restrictions / policies trickle down to Aus in one form or another, though it can depend on legalities as well - perhaps more importantly, there's a lot of negative public opinion surrounding any such items being sold by private sellers at the moment, so there's no guarantee someone won't take it upon themselves to interfere with (read: sabotage) your activities. It could be as benign as purchasing everything you have and never paying, or it could be worse. 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@audae-g0nxem wrote:

How do you think?

I'm not familiar with a KN95 mask so I don't know what they normally sell for.

Why are you wanting to sell in US$? The A$ conversion for the pricepoint you stated is about A$10-$13.

What do I think? In the current situation you should not list for profit.  List at a price that covers your fees and shipping, but don't make a profit.

• That's just what I think.

KN95 is an industry-standard and means that the mask provides the intended effectiveness of filtering above 95 percent of particles with a mass median diameter of 0.3 micrometers.

Which apparently covers COVID-19. I don't know, as I'm not shaving my beard off so that a mask will actually work.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@lotsamagsnbags wrote:

Waste of money if you got them to protect yourself from COVID. They won't protect you from catching it and won't prevent you spreading it if you do catch it. 

K1ooo, P2 and N95 maskes are the same thing and do what Dave said. 

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply