Do you have to use the Aus Post boxes or can I use other ones which are cheaper

I have been useing Fastway for a while but more and more people want my stuff sent to PO boxes which Fastway don't. The problem is the Aus Post cardboard boxes are expensive and there are a lot cheaper through ebay. I want to start using Aus Post to send stuff as i want to print the label and attach it to the box but I don't want to buy the Aus Post ones.

Cheers

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Do you have to use the Aus Post boxes or can I use other ones which are cheaper

@gccoffee wrote:

I have been useing Fastway for a while but more and more people want my stuff sent to PO boxes which Fastway don't. The problem is the Aus Post cardboard boxes are expensive and there are a lot cheaper through ebay. I want to start using Aus Post to send stuff as i want to print the label and attach it to the box but I don't want to buy the Aus Post ones.

Cheers

I always assume (note to self:  never assume) that when posters ask this question, they are referring to the special cheaper rates for boxes and satchels - which rates are only available if you use the right box and satchel

So if I have assumed incorrectly, and you just want to use calculated postage (which is more expensive) with the ebay labels, you can use any old box.

I know some posters will say they have been using their own boxes with the special rates for some time - but not being caught  doesn't make it right.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Re: Do you have to use the Aus Post boxes or can I use other ones which are cheaper

I've brought a bunch of regular small sized boxes off eBay. is it possible for me to fill those and send those in the red mailing box? can I just write the address and name on the box and send it like that or? everytime I post a box its costing me $16 plus $4 to purchase the box from the post office. So wondering whether it's possible to do so. Thank you
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

ashleigh

it would have been better if you had started a new thread - the info in this thread is now completely out of date.

With the new postage structure from Aust Post from 1 October, it is now very affordable to post using satchels.  

For example, can you put your new box into a small satchel?   In which case it will cost you $8.95 postage to anywhere in Australia.

There are several recent posts about the new postage, better have a bit of a read.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

The price should be cheaper these days if the box in question can fit inside a satchel, the cheapest of which is $9.20 at the post office ($8.95 fixed rate postage + 25c for the plastic thing itself), not counting bulk satchels which are slightly cheaper. By using a satchel you also don't have to pay cubic weight which by the sounds of it is what's causing your item to jump to $16, if it happens to weigh a bit despite being small.

Unfortunately Australia Post didn't change the rules around the board, so non-AP boxes/satchels/packaging etc. still fall under the old weight brackets (including cubic weight where applicable), which increased again two weeks ago.

I would avoid using the red postboxes when sending parcels, at least on eBay, as it can leave you open to lots of forced refunds (assuming you don't have tracking that is).
Message 14 of 14
Latest reply