Ebay 1kg satchel?

Does anyone know if we will be able to get Ebay 1kg satchels, as are now available at Australia Post?

It would save postage, instead of having to use a 3kg bag.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Ebay 1kg satchel?

Nevertheless B1 boxes provide an eBay mid-rate solution. If the size fits purpose.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

EB Packaging is normally where I buy bubble mailers from, the 160x230mm ones are perfect for DVD cases, unlike Australia Post's 151x229mm ones which are slightly too narrow.
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

The 1kg Express Post satchels have been available on and off on eBay for ages, but they tend to get dropped after a few weeks every time and then Australia Post goes back to only offering the 3kg rate again for items over 500 grams. Unless these new ones are regular Parcel Post satchels without the added costs associated with Express Post, and are going to remain available at all times instead of being like Hot 'n Spicy chicken at KFC where they offer it for about two or four weeks and then not again until the same time next year. Zingers use the same coating, there is no excuse for KFC either, just like there is no excuse for Australia Post to keep stuffing around like that.
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

The new 1kg satchels are regular post, not express. They're $109.50 for a pack of 10 and there's nothing to indicate they're not here to stay. AP was out of stock for several weeks so they're obviously a very popular product.

Some post offices are selling them separately for a slightly higher price. Not sure if it's allowed but they're doing it. I've already used 3 or 4 of my pack of 10.
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

1Kg are also express post $11.84ea.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

@tangledstitches wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

I received an email from eBay last week offering me an additional discount on a bulk purchase of 1kg satchels, I pretty much ignored it though as they cost around the same as a 3kg satchel costs me. 

I take that to mean, though, they won't be included in eBay's postage label system any time soon. 

Wasn't that email about express satchels, not the regular ones?

Probably, but I'd already done a price comparison between the 1kg satchels and what I pay for 3kg parcels, and it wasn't tempting enough to get me to buy the 1kg in bulk up front, so I didn't pay too much attention to the email.

If I had a lot of packages that were between 500g-1kg, I might consider it, but the vast majority of mine are under 500g letters, and parcels would be in that weight bracket only every so often. 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

You can only use the flat rate Bx1 price with the Aus Post Bx1 boxes. If you use a generic carton you have to select Own Packaging not the Bx1 box.

Actually no.  You can use whatever generic box you like.  It doesn't even have to be the same dimensions.  AP don't cube boxes under 1kg unless it's really huge, like a poster tube.  It's in their terms and conditions.  I take mine to a proper AP all the time to get scanned, never a problem. I know from fb that alot of people even use satchels.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

It is actually written in the T&Cs for the flat rate boxes via eBay that only Aus Post's BX boxes are used. I'm sure there's a lot of staff that never got the memo (so to speak), or simply don't care, but offcially you're only supposed to use theirs. 

I always figured it was because the postage itself was heavily discounted, as in they require their own boxes because they make it up a little in the packaging (even with my B250 discount on flat rate box postage prices, it doesn't come close to the price on eBay, so it's not really comparable to the satchel flat rates either, since they're all quite similar across the board. All things considered they probably don't break even on all the costs associated with manufacturing and distributing the satchels so as long as sizing and weight is all good, it's probably neither here or there to them on those). 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply