Ebay Store Sell Through

I have a possibly complex question regarding sell through/amount of inventory. What I need to figure out (ballpark) is: based on the historical data of my store, and looking at how many items and solds I have cumulatively, how many items would I need in my inventory to hit 20 sales per day? I know this isn't an exact science, but there's gotta be a formula that someone uses to figure this out...right? If anyone would like to take a look at my store to figure out the math you're more than welcome. I'm a numbers person but have been stumped on this for quite awhile.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ebay Store Sell Through

I have 2k items in my store and sell 2 per day. So on my numbers you would need 20k items. You have quite a way to go.

Formulae are generally not subject to human perceptions except very broadly.

I won't be looking at your store as that has nothing to with your question. Unless you are advertising.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

Based on the fact that you have historical data from your store surely you already have the information required to answer your question yourself.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

And why are you asking on the Australian boards when you are registered in the US?

Attention to detail always helps.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

Perhaps you've already reached the upper limit. Depends on the percentage of the population in the US who are agoraphobic/physically incapable of going to shops/not able to find a charity store, for their clothing.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

I have a friend who has 37k items in his store & he averages 17 sales per day. He sells mostly media items ie CDs, LPs, 45s, Cassettes, DVDs, VHS tapes,  books/sheet music etc, These things would have a broad mass appeal as opposed to say HO model train parts (where to buyer base would be considerably smaller).

Based on this I'd say you'd need 40k items listed for 20 sales a day.

However there are probably a lot of variables eg overall demand, how competitive are your prices, postage costs etc etc.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

You appear to have 1515 listings and appear to have made 588 sales ( based on 100 items per line ) in the last 90 days, ( very good numbers ) based on the information I can see which may not be accurate. This equates to 6.5 sales per day. Theoretically if you triple your listing numbers to 4545 you would sell 19.5 items per day. 

This assumes increased listings automatically lead to a proportional increase in sales, something that appears to be highly unlikely, based on others experience. 

The reasons for this are many but include the position ebay shows a sellers items in listings, ( visibility )  based on their sales performance dictated by computer algorithms , the number of followers you have who may receive notice when you list items and how deep their pockets are and will the quality  of your listings fall as you chase numbers ? etc.

Too many variables to give any kind of reliable answer sorry.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

As the OP is in the US they will probably not be back to see "any kind of reliable answer".

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

As the OP is in the US they will probably not be back to see "any kind of reliable answer".

Possibly, but as always, the OP is not the only one who reads the forums. There are plenty of others who monitor the selling forums, or who look back on old threads seeking information. The comments about lack of correlation between increasing total listing numbers and automatically expecting commensurate increases in sales are pertinent to all sellers.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay Store Sell Through

fingers and thumbs

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply