Ebay sales dropped dramatically 60% in the last month

Hi everyone,

been a seller now on eBay for 10years. Never had this happened before my selling has dropped 60% in the last month. Has anyone else experiencing this.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Ebay sales dropped dramatically 60% in the last month

I actually tailored my feedback to be similar to other feedback left.

Suggest you focus on the issue which is that buyers like me are leaving eBay because eBay is not dealing with sellers who do the wrong thing and are not removed as a result.

Message 51 of 73
Latest reply

@gunzel42 wrote:

Suggest you focus on the issue which is that buyers like me are leaving eBay because eBay is not dealing with sellers who do the wrong thing and are not removed as a result.

After over 11 years on eBay as a buyer I've only had a handful of problems with sellers, which apart from one have been solved in my favour by using the tools that eBay provide for buyer protection (the one that didn't work out was in the very early days of being on eBay, and me not knowing the correct procedure for a claim). I also practice due diligence when buying on eBay to minimise any problems that could occur.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 52 of 73
Latest reply

And my claims have been in my favour but am still annoyed that eBay is not addressing the problem of dodgy sellers when they know they exist.

Message 53 of 73
Latest reply

I also shop anywhere but here because of tatty treatment from eBay on my own selling account. My sales have dropped dramatically and I am flat out paying my store fees of $30 with the sales I am getting.  I am been dropped to below level and are paying nearly 20% fvfs. I think they are just trying to get rid of us in favour of their Chinese and major sellers. I have contacted them twice and both times they say they’ll investigate and get back within two days but it doesn’t happen. 

Message 54 of 73
Latest reply

I have no sales in 13 years on eBay, the worst ever. I am only a small seller with low margins and had to drop my store subscription also.

Discerningly, all my prospective buyer "watchers" have dropped dramatically to around 3% of total items (were 25%) and my feedback left by buyers is under 38%.

Some of the worst and largest sellers on eBay with most negative 96% feedback scores are given 1st star treatment by eBay. These sellers always have their search results near the top, while us smaller sellers are lucky to find our items for sale in the first 100 searches.

The only way to overcome this, is to add eBay's "promoted" fee (3-8%) to your item and the search result should appear near the top.

Message 55 of 73
Latest reply

Choose your books, choose your prices. Realise that you don't have to be cheapest, as savvy buyers use P+P lowest. Realise that hyperbole doesn't work here - few books have over 100 listings if the author is included.

Assuming you sell books.

I sell books and have consistent sales. If I'd been selling on eBay for 13 years without a sale I would never have paid for a store, nor would I have continued listing. I do both.

Message 56 of 73
Latest reply

The managed payments thingamyjig only affects sellers as in sellers can only receive their payments from buyers thru eBay managed payments, that is, they can no longer receive them into their PayPal acct and yet, get this - buyers can still purchase anything on eBay thru PayPal!

As a seller, I think it is ridiculous that eBay is not allowing us sellers the choice of whether we want to use the PayPal channel to receive our payments or whether we want to switch to managed payments.

Personally, I think eBay ought to give sellers the option of switching payment platforms whenever, that way if we are finding our sales go up when we are in PayPal mode, then we just stick with that unless they start plummetting in which case to switch may help.

As a buyer, I still prefer PayPal as it's more efficient coz if I'm at home and am in a different room to where my bag is, I don't have to go an get a physical card, can just pay electronically.....

Message 57 of 73
Latest reply

@myriadcollectables wrote:

................and yet, get this - buyers can still purchase anything on eBay thru PayPal!

For now they can, but eBay has intimated that they are going to remove Paypal as an option for buyers. So buyers will have to use G Pay or a credit card at some stage in the future (maybe).

To my mind that would be a very risky move by eBay, buyers are used to using Paypal and it's associated protection for them - time will tell I guess.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 58 of 73
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@myriadcollectables wrote:

................and yet, get this - buyers can still purchase anything on eBay thru PayPal!

For now they can, but eBay has intimated that they are going to remove Paypal as an option for buyers. So buyers will have to use G Pay or a credit card at some stage in the future (maybe).

To my mind that would be a very risky move by eBay, buyers are used to using Paypal and it's associated protection for them - time will tell I guess.

-------------------

I'd say you're right. As a buyer, I prefer sites where I can pay with paypal. If ebay sales are falling (I don't know if they actually are but some sellers seem to be saying that generally they may be), then giving buyers more ways to pay rather than cutting out one common payment type would seem to make more sense.

I'm used to paypal, I've got a paypal account, I'm not really interested in having to sign up for yet another system so unless I was really motivated to buy something, I'd probably not bother.

Message 59 of 73
Latest reply

" If ebay sales are falling (I don't know if they actually are but some sellers seem to be saying that generally they may be), "

Ebays own reports to the U.S. stock exchange show sales are falling dramatically. ( around 10% down in the most recent, published quarter ). 

Ebay have stated publicly that they are actively working to discourage low value, infrequent buyers from using the site. I suspect they have also recently tweaked the search algorythms to encourage lower value sellers from the site. This appears to include sellers who have not embraced item specifics and those who have low sell through rates and lots of stagnant listings.

" Sell through rate " is the number of sales as a percentage of listings.

My sales are down dramatically on two id's that have not played the game regards item specifics etc. while a third id that does include item specifics and has a higher sell through rate is holding up pretty well.

You cant always believe some posters who claim everything is fine and dandy in ebayland. If you know where to look it may not be quite as rosy as sometimes suggested.........

Message 60 of 73
Latest reply