Ebay verses a website?

I am seriously considering getting my own website due to the cost of ebay, and their policies which is costing me money, time and stress.

Before I jump into the deep end, I would like to know if there are other small to medium size ebay sellers who have their own website and are doing quite well.

My worries are: Are the websites getting the traffic through like ebay does?  Many of buyers only shop on ebay, haven't heard of other sites such as bEtsy, or selling on facebook. I won't go near Gumtree, as that is a time waster.

I know it takes time to build up the traffic, and it's all about marketing.  I have gone to website designers, and all of them say, that you shouldn't leave ebay all together.

I would love to hear from sellers who sell on both, ebay and a website.

Happy New Year!

New beginings for 2015

Retrovintage

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Ebay verses a website?

I don't have a Website, but have tried Facebook and love it. There are all sorts of Groups run by admin & they run a Tight Ship.  It's becoming very popular because of the steady demise of ebay. IMO I would most certainly look into it.   I am.  Setting up your own Site would, I think be Great. Give it a try. I don't think you will look back. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks     Horizon

I appreciate your support.  I see we both sell vintage items, so it gives me hope!

I am so glad you are doing well outside of ebay.

Happy selling in 2015!

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks. I was very nervous to start with, because I didn't quite understand all the rules and how things work. Once you start, it just becomes 2nd nature. Put up a few things on your own Facebook Page and you will be amazed at how fast the word gets out.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Selling on Facebook reminds me of how eBay once was, when we first started. Its vibrant, easy, uncomplicated and extremely successful so far. At presant, its free and we can build our target audience. I could not recommend it more!
Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Facebook wouldnt work for my product range as my client base is from all over Australia and OS. Mainly middle age men who wouldnt look at facebook. Having said that, the wife listed a few music related items on facebook a couple of days ago.  This was our first try at facebook. It was easy to use and sold one item, paid full price and picked up within three hours. Several enquiries on some of the other items, so it looks very promising for some types of things. Retro vintage would probably work well as it would fit the facebook demographic of young trendies and middle age women well..

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Loving facebook at the moment Heart

Too easy to post and NO FEES Cat Very Happy 

Loads of vintage groups for you to join & trial with.

Recommend posting goods via private groups only though - stops spammers trolls & other sickos

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

I couldn't agree more shipahoys. You hit the nail right on the head.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

If you go with a website you need to invest in growth hackers.. Without them your website is dead. For me I get around 500-1000 sales a week on eBay where-as my website only generates 10 max a week, sometimes less than 3.

eBay provides you with traffic and I used to spend money on adwords to gain traffic for my website but it came out too much and was making a loss where as leaving as is did a much better job in terms of profitability.

Facebook seems like a good alternative, but like youtube, apple and eBay eventually they will sell themselves out to big companies and the system will then again turn into the rich gets richer and the poor will stay poor.

They will screw us over again as proven in the past.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Thank you for the insight ourphonecase, on having your own website.

It is food for thought!

I am guessing you sell phone cases? If so you have many competitors, hence a website may not work as well.

I think that is my main concercen, not getting the traffic, and having to pay more in the marketing sections "google clicks"  to be found by  new buyers.

My items are one offs, or hard to find items, so I really need my clientel knowing where and who I am.

I have started a shop on facebook the other day,thanks to reading the ebay forum.  You can have a shop with 10 free lisitngs, for as long as you like.

More than 10 listings you then have to pay a subscription.  

I haven't tried other facebook pages where they sell vintage items.  I'm like Horizon, a little nervous, but I will try anything once! Well almost  anything!

thanks again for responding!

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply