How can a seller use pay on pick up as per policy?

go-tazz
Community Member

The Accepted payments policy still states:

Sellers who offer payment on pickup may include the following statement in their listings:

"Contact me for payment methods for paying on pickup."

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

So eBay aren't following their own "rules/policy" as how can a buyer pay on pick up if eBay wont let them

exchange contact details.

Apart from them being paranoid about sellers dealing off site it's also a brought in more revenue for PP.

Ultimately IMHO they are trying to push members to list pick up items on Gumtree so that it might increase in

size and volume.

I have a few items that are pick up only but I'll be listing them on FB,(cash in hand and no fees or sanctions

if either of us did something "wrong")good.gif

The last pick up item I had on this site I had to refund the PP payment as they couldn't pick up,(too far away).

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

But they DO let contact details through, only after purchase is made.

image host
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Yep, it's a frustrating new policy that contradicts eBays own written policies. Most buyers now have to pay before being able to pick up.  When buying a large pick up item, there is no way I would pay before being able to inspect it. What is excellent condition to one may only be fair condition to another as everyone's interpretations are different.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

But they DO let contact details through, only after purchase is made.

It looks like there is another way on pick up items now:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html ,(under Payment on pick-up ).

Does this method require eBay checkout? Yes. Once the buyer goes through checkout for your item, they can select the 'Payment Upon Pick-Up' option.

How soon am I paid? Immediately. In-person payment methods can include bank cheques, personal cheques, money orders or cash. In your listing, be clear about which of these payment methods you'll accept.

The seller can then send an invoice the buyerwith their address details.

So if you stipulate to the buyer to wait for an invoice in the listing then it should be all above board according

to their own policies,Who knows.gif

So the buyer needs to go through checkout to get the Pay on pick up option,(so sellers that have pick up

items may need to put that into their listings,good.gif

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Nothing like making a simple process harder Taz - but then that's eBay for ya................original.gif

I can't help but wonder if eBay are losing more sales by their paranoia for so called "off eBay" sales than if they'd just let it be.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Tazz, that link to payment on pick-up says there's seller and buyer protection under EMBG

Soooo, since when are pick-up items covered?

None of it makes sense.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

That whole page (and other links from it) are a total cluster-fuzz of incorrect, misleading and conflicting, or just plain irrelevant, info. Smiley Sad

For pickup items, not received isn't covered, but not as described is covered if the buyer pays via PayPal (or a CC through a gateway connected to eBay's checkout), but an item isn't covered if it's damaged in transit, according to the MBG policy, but then again, further down it includes transit damage as counting as INAD, so who knows.... I suspect they do it on purpose so they can do whatever they want at the time and have something to point to. 

I love this particular Q&A under Payment on Pickup: Does the buyer have to register? No, registration is needed specifically for payment upon pick-up. (I'm presuming the comma is not supposed to be there).

If you click the link leading to MBG info for buyers, the FAQs underneath are all about eBay gift cards. Smiley LOL

Personally, I wouldn't include the words "contact me" on any listings now, no matter what comes after them. eBay's bots are too volatile and trigger happy. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

To keep on the safe side I am now phasing out the pick up option for our sales.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Nothing like making a simple process harder Taz - but then that's eBay for ya................original.gif

I can't help but wonder if eBay are losing more sales by their paranoia for so called "off eBay" sales than if they'd just let it be.............

You bet they are ,one of my long standing ID's selling machinery ,all pick ups of course, is now in limbo because it is now  impossible to communicate with potential buyers before purchase.

And now I keep getting discount offers on that ID to buy things......I don't want to buy I want to sell !!!!

Ebay can't see the forest for the trees.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

In eBay's own little world, pickup-only items are fully covered as long as you have a valid tracking number!!!!
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply