How does second chance offer work

bryonz
Community Member
How does this work for a seller if my reserve price was not Achieved
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If you did not reach your reserve you may be able to contact the closest value bidder and ask if they are intersted.

I don't think actual second chance offer is available unless there was a winner ?? but not 100% on that.

To try it, go to the unsold item and drop down the arrow - if offer second chance is there, click on it and follow the prompts.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Second chance offer is simple โ€ฆ it is used when the seller shills the bidding and forces up your bids โ€ฆ but when you donโ€™t outbid them and the seller is left with the winning bid โ€ฆ they cancel their own bid and then offer you the โ€œsecond chanceโ€ ... it is a great system
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Or they have multiple items, or a non-paying buyer (of which there are apparently many) decides not to pay.

And the timeframe would certainly indicate if it's the second.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@iamanark wrote:
Second chance offer is simple โ€ฆ it is used when the seller shills the bidding and forces up your bids โ€ฆ but when you donโ€™t outbid them and the seller is left with the winning bid โ€ฆ they cancel their own bid and then offer you the โ€œsecond chanceโ€ ... it is a great system

Speak for yourself - that is a real generalisation of something you don't seem to fully understand.

The usual reason second chance is offered is if a BUYER wants out of the deal and the seller accepts his request to cancel, then the seller can offer to the next bidder.

Shilling does go on, for sure, but I bet the OP just loves your inferrence that this is what he has done. It simply didn't reach reserve, what is so hard to understand about that?

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@iamanark wrote:

Second chance offers are a legitimate tool, used by sellers who more than one identical item, or for sellers who have a difficult buyer who refuses to pay. ( often with no contact. ) While your little description is rather amusing, it does highlight why there is distrust of the system by buyers. This results in very poor uptake ( around 25% in my experience ) of legitimate offers from genuine sellers.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Second chance offer is a sham โ€ฆ if it was genuine, then not only would the โ€œwinning bidderโ€™sโ€ last bid be cancelled, but all the โ€œwinner bidderโ€™sโ€ bids be cancelled (if they are not going to finalise the auction, then they were never a genuine bidder in the first place)โ€ฆ which means that if there was shill bidding, all their bids would be cancelled and then, and only then, would the second chance offer be genuine โ€ฆ
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

So you're saying that an eBay policy means a seller is shilling?

Right.

Just once I'd like to see you post something positive

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@iamanark wrote:
Second chance offer is a sham โ€ฆ if it was genuine, then not only would the โ€œwinning bidderโ€™sโ€ last bid be cancelled, but all the โ€œwinner bidderโ€™sโ€ bids be cancelled (if they are not going to finalise the auction, then they were never a genuine bidder in the first place)โ€ฆ which means that if there was shill bidding, all their bids would be cancelled and then, and only then, would the second chance offer be genuine โ€ฆ

RUBBISH

How can eBay possibly know a winning bidder has withdrawn from the sale?? The only person that is aware of that is the seller when the bidder contacts them with the usual SOB story.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

eBay policy .............................................. LOL .

Since when has ebay policy had anything to do with honesty ?

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply