I think Ive made a huge mistake

Im a new ebay business and I am trying to figure out posatge for my items that are all different sizes and shapes, Aus post is what I have been using mostly but for only slightly bigger items I was getting tired of forking out rediculoius costs. 

I decided to take a look at Fastway prices for a bigger item which will aprently be delivered in NSW from Brisbane in just 2-3 days. 

I was happy with the price which was very fair and that it would be to my customer well before Christmas, so I printed the label out and thought nothing more of it.

However becuase Im such a NEWB and in my eagerness to get a better deal I didnt do any background study into the Fastway and now Im reading on the descussion boards pages of bad reveiws which are worrying the hell out of me. I went back on to their site to see if I can reverse the label charge and cancel the label but Im having a hard time finding out how. I dont know what to do, for the sake of about $5.00 Im now stressed that not only will my parcel not arrive on time but it may not turn up at all. I dont want a bad rep on my ebay account so early in to my business. Im not sure what Im asking for here from you good folk, I guess i just needed to say somthing, maybe some of you have used fast way and had a good experiance. Im freaking out a little bit.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: I think Ive made a huge mistake

I am getting 5kg satchels from Adelaide to Sydney in 3 days instead of the usual 4 so I am happy.  It happened last Christmas too.

And I am going to swallow my words about the Fastway delivery I mentioned above.

Since my last debacle with them they have changed their website a great deal.  I was able to give them an Authority to Leave the parcel on line and it was there this morning with no hassels.  Now all they need to do is include a section to allow us to say where to leave it as it was left at my front door for everyone to see.  Luckily we live in a very quiet street with very little through traffic.

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

As a soon to be seller I am annoyed that Aus Post has such a disorganised webpage and the postage rates are not straightforward. I have to figure out even before I buy the packaging how much it will cost to figure out how much I have to charge.

As a buyer I want that parcels are left on the front door (I write this on the orders now) and I do not have to run to the post office.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

Parcels under 500g all go at the same flat rate of $7.45 to anywhere in the country. Once they get over 500g, they are cubed and the cost is the cubed weight, not the actual weight. If it's a smallish item, often it works out cheaper to send in a 3kg or 5kg satchel. You would still pack into a box and then put the box in the satchel.

A couple of weeks ago I posted an order to Qld. The packed weight was around 1300g. If I had sent it as it was, it was going to cost close to $30. I ended up posting it in a 5kg satchel which was less than $20. Thankfully most of my stuff goes either large letter for $1.40 or small parcel. It's only when people buy multiple items that it goes over 500g.

As for packaging materials, most of the time it is cheaper to buy it on eBay. First you need to work out what you are going to need. That will depend on whether you are going to sell fragile breakable items, or new sealed in box items, or other unbreakable, unboxed things like clothing. It is also far more economical to buy it bulk rather than as you go. That goes for boxes too if you need to buy them.

If you're going to sell new sealed in box items, then apart from boxes (which you can get from supermarkets, Bunnings, the local hospital if you know someone who works there), all you'd really need would be packing peanuts. If you're going to sell say clothing, then you'd really only need some sheets of tissue paper that you'd wrap the clothing in before putting it in a satchel. Even then, some people don't even bother with that, they just put it straight in the satchel.

If you're going to sell fragile stuff, then your packaging expenses will be much higher. You'd need bubble wrap, packing peanuts, maybe tissue paper depending on what the items were, and that thin plastic coated foamy stuff (I have NO idea what that's called!). You can use newspaper to pad out boxes, but it does add a lot of weight. If they are really low weight items, but need to be packed well, then newspaper would be OK.

You should also buy some digital kitchen scales (mine were $19 from K-Mart a few years ago and weigh exactly the same as the calibrated scales at the PO). If you're going to be sending in boxes, you'll need rolls of the thick packing sticky tape. Regular sticky tape is quite handy too.

Check out how much the packaging items cost on eBay, then go and check out prices at the local Officeworks if you have one. Sometimes it does work out cheaper to get them from there when you take postage costs into consideration.

Thankfully I don't pay for any packaging materials. I recycle what I can from items I have bought and I have friends that work at the local hospital who get me lots of stuff. If I did have to buy everything, I'd be adding a few extra cents onto my postage costs or onto the item price to cover that stuff.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

Tippy, Officeworks sell on ebay at the same prices as in store.....but postage can be the killer unless the original item is quite cheap.

Their home brand packing tape is excellent value and is sold in 6 packs....clear and brown.

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Tippy, Officeworks sell on ebay at the same prices as in store.....but postage can be the killer unless the original item is quite cheap.

Their home brand packing tape is excellent value and is sold in 6 packs....clear and brown.

That's what I buy because I go through a LOT of packing tape. I couldn't believe the difference in price between their home brand and the brand names. I got 6 rolls of home brand for less than the price of 1 roll of brand name. It does what it's meant to do. I've never had anyone complain that their box came unstuck. It wouldn't want to, I use a lot of tape to seal them up!

I recently bought a roll of brown paper. I decided to wrap some boxes in the brown paper because there is too much brand name on them, plus addresses, to cross it all out. Plus the PO wigged out at an isopropyl alcohol label on one box. I was all set to open the box to prove that that's not what was in there! I got a 30m roll of their home brand cheaper than a 5 metre roll of brand name. I couldn't really tell any difference in quality. The dear stuff was no thicker.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

We have been using Fastway for our business for over 9 years and never had a problem or a lost item. They even got a parcel from here Ocean Shores in northern NSW to Emerald in Queensland (which is not one of their usual delivery points) in 2 days. The cost was nearly $20 cheaper than Australia Post. If the address is wrong or the business we are sending to has moved without telling us Fastway will deliver it anyway whereas Australia Post just returns to sender ever if the adressee is one of the biggest businesses in town. Anorther advantage of Fastway is they pick up from your business or home so no lugging parcels to the Post Office and waiting in the queue. Good luck with your Ebay business. Always charge your customer the freight or postal costs no point in running a business and losing money. I only charge what the postage is and 15cents for the Ebay satchels which I use most of the time.

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

We always have packing tape on hand....my OH uses it for work.

I demand he gets the Officeworks brand clear tape so I can pinch a roll for home use.

The brown tape is not as good as the clear....it does not last as well and if it is left out in the sun for any length of time it dries out and peels off the package.   A brown roll was kept in the van for several weeks over summer and it was a bit iffy for sticking ability.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I rarely go into OfficeWorks these days except for supplies of B4 manila envelopes (rarely used).

If you are in a city you'll probably find someone nearby who sells packaging supplies.

These guys are quite a bit cheaper as a rule.

eg 100m of 380mm x 10mm bubblewrap costs me $15 from a packaging supplier.

OfficeWorks would want to charge me $40.

It pays to shop around a bit.

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

That's not bad.

I pay $20 for mine from my local.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks dazzledayz but I am not a seller so rarely need anything more than the packing tape whick is often needed to patch up parcels that my OH delivers in his job as a courier.

We are near Alexandria where there are plenty of commercial packaging suppliers if we need anything like that.

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply