I want to use Australia Post

Hi and thanks for any assistance you may offer. Firstly there were no keyboards when I went to school, so you can guess my age. I regularly buy items on eBay but I'm new to selling on eBay. Ok, my items are small, not expensive, and qualify for Australia Post regular letter which it $2.20. There's no dropdown menu postage for regular domestic postage, so I'm guessing there isn't one. .Also, I have a pile of Australia Post postage stamps that I need and plan to use.  Where and how do I tick the item as being sent without having used a printed postage label?  It seems like you have to print a postage label to activate the "sent" box. Is this the case?? Help

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: I want to use Australia Post

@domino-710 wrote:

Before giving this advice - please check - domestic tracked letter - can it contain other than documents.

@domino - I've been sending tracked letters with everything except documents for the last few years. Never had an issue. I've even shown the PO agents my items beforehand when looking to see what size I need and they've just handed over the envelope. Even the AP website recommends this as a way to send "items".

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Just took a peek - most are ' untracked letters '.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Here are the prices for the prepaid tracked envelopes,  I do use these for certain items but only medium and large,  as I dont think I would have anything that would comply with 5mm thickness (including packaging) that is allowed for the small envelopes,  From memory the items are meant to be flat and flexible.

Item Max. weight Dimensions Charge per item Charge per 10-pack Charge per 10-pack (for 5+ packs)Small envelopeBuy nowMedium envelopeBuy nowLarge envelopeBuy now

Up to 125g

130mm x 240mm

Up to 5mm thickness

$3.05

$30.00

$29.50 per pack

(minimum cost $147.50)

Up to 500g

240mm x 162mm

Up to 20mm thickness

$5.10

$48.50

$45.90 per pack

(minimum cost $229.50)

Up to 500g

229mm x 324mm

Up to 20mm thickness

$6.15

$58.40

$55.40 per pack

(minimum cost $277)

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Hi Dom,  I use the tracked envelopes for some items,  whereas Registered items are still supposed to be signed for, these envelopes only need to be scanned on delivery

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

@domino -

Of my 400 or so listings, only approx 150 are untracked, so the majority of items are definitely tracked. On top of which, when people buy multiples of an "untracked" low postage cost item, the combined postage actually levels up to tracked.

I've been doing this for many years - I know my numbers and I know what people buy and how to price my postage. I've sold over 12,000 items across several platforms in the last few years alone and I can say that it is only the minority of items that end up being sent untracked, regardless of what their postage cost says on the listing. Besides parcel post,  I use the large domestic A4 green envelopes to send some of my cushion covers, fabrics and stencils. I use the smaller ones to send things like fabric tape, ribbon etc. 

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Those are tracked prices.

Untracked are significantly less and more appropriate for low value items.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

I"d love to know just where to enter the micro amounts on eBay. Mine are there in my bank account but I don't know where to insert them so as to be verified. The ebay message I got about them has a "Verify" clickable link... but it simply takes me to a general ebay page, and when I try to click from there to any likely areas it keeps asking me to sign in, and do the Captcha tedious routine. I do that but I'm caught in a loop of trying to click to another area, and then having to login and do Captcha, over and over. 
At the moment I'm trying to simply edit one of my active listings and I can't, because I have to keep signing in and doing the security check, repeat repeat, and can't access anything.
Are you having any of those issues? 

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

Yes I've used those sometimes when I sell on Etsy. They're the green tracked post envelopes. It actually says on the envelope itself that they're not suitable for inflexible sharp items. That to me means it's fine for flexible non-sharp items that won't measure over 2cm thick. It doesn't say to send ONLY letters in them, yet the one grumpy woman in my PO sold me one recently and glared and said they're only for letters (I didn't even have my item there with me). I said okay and went home and popped the soft flat little knitted hat in it, with a stiff cardboard piece to fortify it, and posted it. 
The fact too that you get $100 coverage for it is interesting... it would have to be a VERY valuable letter if only letters were allowed in those envelopes.

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

Green tracked post envelopes, in 3 different sizes. Max. thickness for the small one is, I think, 5mm, but the other two sizes are up to 2cm thickness.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

They are great - but it depends on the item being sent.

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply