Is FB marketplace, something ebay is aware of?

walenad
Community Member

Because if this payment delay isn't removed, I'm never coming back.

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Is FB marketplace, something ebay is aware of?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

As a new / infrequent seller you'll have a 21 day hold on your sales.

Unless you provide tracking that shows delivery or feedback that proves the buyer received it.

Then funds will be released by notifying ebay.

I noticed no tracking on your items, and no tracking on a $350 item is pushing your luck.

A buyer can claim Item not received and you would lose your money.

Message 2 of 66
Latest reply

there are now many many articles on the internet stating how FB Marketplace is the new ebay.

what really got me a few years ago was a young guy at my work needed a  motorcycle jacket - his first port of call was FB and then 'tree - i asked him "did you even look at ebay" - his reply "oh it's either chinese garbage or overpriced carp on there"

I'm hearing of people having great success even selling internationally on FB.

But overall i say ebay can't be beat for things like buttons, screws, phone cases kitchen gadgets etc.

Some auctions still do ok but you have to hope people are looking if you are selling and great bargains can be had from newbies starting auctions at 99c

Message 3 of 66
Latest reply

Hey musso (The ex ebayer)   maybe you should get over your little gripe with ebay and move on permanently.

Otherwize try selling  buttons, screws etc,  as ebay is going just fine.  The changes might take a bit of keeping up with, but thats life.

Say gidday to  comcol  (that other ex ebayer)

To the OP,  you would have been made aware of the hold on funds for new sellers, at time of listing.

It was introduced for very good reasons, and ebay will not be changing it, any time soon.

Message 4 of 66
Latest reply

I think this is something every eBay seller - especially the ones doing the dramatic "I am going away and I am never coming back"* thing - needs to realise:

eBay don't need to compete for sellers. Their policies and so forth are the way they are because they focus on the demographic they do have to compete for, which is buyers. Every time a seller announces their imminent departure over a policy that they feel disadvantages them in some way, it's pretty much confirmation for them that they aren't viable for their ultimate goal, which is to curate a site of sellers who can accomodate (or at least contend with) the policies they introduce which try to steer sellers in the direction of competing for buyers on eBay's behalf. 

eBay doesn't need you, and ideally, no one should need eBay in return. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

*it's a little macabre, so kinda needs a CW, but that's the way I like it ๐Ÿ˜…

Message 5 of 66
Latest reply

The only thing putting me off Facebook Marketplace is Facebook.

Message 6 of 66
Latest reply

yeah I agree .. facebook is just another greedy pack of yanks with dollar signs for eyeballs .. lately they are encouraging sellers on facebook to pay $7 to boost their item visibility so you can see where that is heading (right down the toilet .. fast . another bait and switch and obviously facebook will be manipulating advert visibility in facebook marketplace for dollars .. just like ebay does here) .. seems we will soon be back selling our items of any actual value at the local supermarket community noticeboard so that we don't get taken advantage of by tax haven based corporate and globalist thugs and racketeers that our shameful fascist government has allowed to usurp our e-commerce landscape ..

Message 7 of 66
Latest reply

@walenad wrote:

Because if this payment delay isn't removed, I'm never coming back.

They certainly iknow about it, but I doubt it's popularity for seller causes them much concern

Message 8 of 66
Latest reply

Yep, Thanks to E bay's managed payments; I decided to stop selling on Ebay.

Consiquently, I have been doing ok selling on Gumtree, and FB local market places. (I.e market place,  Gold Coast buy swap and sell, etc).

I'm only a small fish and just sell a few things here and there.

Thanks EBay, I now don't have to pay any fees unless I use Pay pal. If it wasn't for EBay driving me away with the "Managed Payments" I wouldn't have been motivated to explore other options. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I will still purchase on E Bay if I need something ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 9 of 66
Latest reply

I've been an eBay member since 2004 and this eBay Managed Payment is really testing my limits, sometimes taking up to a week to receive the money... it's infuriating to not have access to the money immediately in this day and age. If they want to take away our option to use PayPal then they need to step up their game and offer an on-par level of service.

Message 10 of 66
Latest reply