Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

4*sale
Community Member

As eBay sellers you've all received the "Getting paid on eBay has changed" email from ebay and tried to set up payment through Payout settings. To create payment account you need to ad your bank, eBay asked  meto use my customer ID and password. My question here is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

Could be based on previous account verifications, and payment methods on file, maybe (eg if someone already has a linked bank account for fee debits, or verified their eBay account in other ways, some info may not be required). 

Message 21 of 50
Latest reply

@4*sale wrote:

Apparently I'm the only one who received this email as no one has responded to my question yet or confirmed it. Please share your experience if you received the same email.

Thanks a lot!

No, you're not - the forum already has multiple threads from people who were asked to go through this verification process and / or posted concerns with logging in to their bank account via eBay.

The answers are the same regardless of whether it's from someone who did or did not have to do it - if you proceed, change your password after the account is verified, and eliminate whatever the risk may have been (perceived or otherwise). 

If the bypass is still there, try that if preferred (if there is an option to select that your bank account is not listed, some have bypassed this requirement by choosing that, and instead being required to upload a statement that shows the necessary info). 

Message 22 of 50
Latest reply

Thank you digital*ghost, it works! I appreciate your help so much.

I would also like to thank every one who try to help!

Message 23 of 50
Latest reply

@shassaz-atic wrote:

What have we been told by all the security company's and Banks Etc ??

NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORDS

i would not give out any kind of passwords out ..ever to anyone ..we should not be doing that at all ..

Message 24 of 50
Latest reply

@dvd.horder wrote:

@shassaz-atic wrote:

i would not give out any kind of passwords out ..ever to anyone ..we should not be doing that at all ..

I have been registered for MP on 4 accounts over the last fortnight.  I was not asked for bank account password on any of the account registrations.

Some members have posted that they were asked for passwords, so maybe it is a hit and miss thing.

Also, eBay may have tweaked the registration process since starting it last year.

The other thing to note is that there is a very simple and easy work-around if you are asked for your password as posted by a few posters including digital*ghost . . . and that is to give your password at registration and then, when you receive notification from eBay that you are now registered and verified, you change your banking password.

What you could do is change your password before registering to something like “eBaysucks4this” and then provide this password to eBay, then change that once registration is complete.

Message 25 of 50
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

Provide details as eBay have requested or you will no longer be able to receive payments from buyers.

This is not a scam, and I have no idea why another poster @ message 4 has suggested it may be.

It is from eBay as you can see with the notification you have posted here and as other experienced sellers who have also had to follow this protocol have also advised

Very simple kat........... this is a copy and paste from the OP........

"Getting paid on eBay has changed" email from ebay "

The OP states in the post I responded too, that the message came as an email with no mention of receiving the same through  ebay messages. We all know the scammers are very busy sending emails that look genuine which are not duplicated in ebay messages.

As many other posters have noted in this thread, they, like myself have not been asked to provide their bank password to sign up for managed payments. In fact after reading this and other threads it appears those who have been asked to provide their bank password are definately in the minority and the messages have come through ebay messages, rather than unverified email messages, not supported through ebay messages..

So all up the assumptions made and request for further information to verify the veracity of the email was a perfectly reasonable response.  

The fact that you chose to single out my post from the many others urging caution is a great example of why I and others choose not to participate in board discussion any more. Not only was my post reasonable on the information provided in the OP, it was the sensible thing to suggest.  

I dont see what your problem is and frankly I expected better from you. 

Message 26 of 50
Latest reply

@shassaz-atic wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would never. I wouldn't even create an account just for that specific reason either.  There's certain boundaries that never should be crossed and certain values that should be adhered to!

Message 27 of 50
Latest reply

.. .. .. ..
                                   -------------------------------------------------------------------

@shassaz-atic wrote:

@dvd.horder wrote:

Oh yeah! There does come a time when one has to say. This is going to far.

Message 28 of 50
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@shassaz-atic wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would never. I wouldn't even create an account just for that specific reason either.  There's certain boundaries that never should be crossed and certain values that should be adhered to!

I agree.

eBay should adhere to Australian law.

Wait a minute . . . eBay asking for bank account details for the purpose of depositing funds from sales is a no brainer.  There seems to be inconsistency in whether members are asked for banking passwords . . . I wasn’t on all 4 IDs that I registered with, but others have posted they were asked for password.  While not being acceptable, there is a workaround that would work.

Wait a minute . . . eBay verifying member identification through asking for Driver Licence details is consistent with Australian Anti-Money Laundering (AML) legislation that eBay would need to comply with.  Anyone who has a problem with providing ID would need to accept that their selling days are over.

Anyone who posts about eBay selling the information they collect for AML compliance is scaremongering.  The penalties for selling the information are too great . . . AND, if they did sell the information the damage it would do their brand would be never be able to be repaired.

Message 29 of 50
Latest reply

shassaz-atic_0-1620963874064.png

I will rather close my account than give up my Banking Password

Message 30 of 50
Latest reply